Filters For Hot Springs Envoy

Twinky

We have a Hot Springs Envoy and were told to replace the filters (due to moto-massage not working, and power light flashing). I am not happy with the company that we bought the hot tub from and would like to order the filters (and any chemicals we may need in the future) from someone else. However, every website I go to does not list the "Envoy" model on any of their filters. Some say "fits most Hot Springs spas". I don't want to take my chances with "most". Does anyone know where I can get replacement filters for the Envoy?

Thanks so much!

Have you removed the filters and reset the power to see if you still get the high limit trip? Actually it's only the one with the grey cap and standpipe, which is dedicated to the circulation pump. If you remove it and the high limit doesn't trip then it is the problem. You should soak the filters in a filter cleaner solution overnight and rinse them very well before putting them back in. Do this every time you drain & refill, about 2 or 3 times per year. They should also be sprayed with the hose about twice a month.

You should have the Tri-X filters in that spa. They can be expensive. I prefer the regular filters. I think they clean up better.

The regular filters should be very available, they fit all of the HotSpring models.

Good Luck

Have you removed the filters and reset the power to see if you still get the high limit trip? Actually it's only the one with the grey cap and standpipe, which is dedicated to the circulation pump. If you remove it and the high limit doesn't trip then it is the problem. You should soak the filters in a filter cleaner solution overnight and rinse them very well before putting them back in. Do this every time you drain & refill, about 2 or 3 times per year. They should also be sprayed with the hose about twice a month.

You should have the Tri-X filters in that spa. They can be expensive. I prefer the regular filters. I think they clean up better.

The regular filters should be very available, they fit all of the HotSpring models.

Good Luck

How old are your filters? What is your cleaning program?

I know the Hot Spring manual recommends that you soak in chemical cleaner once a month, then rinse well either with a hose or run through the rinse cycle on your dishwasher. Even though I am usually the only person in my Envoy on a regular basis, I follow this filter cleaning schedule to the letter. Rather than rinse the filters with a hose or run them through the dishwasher, I rinse them with my pressure washer. It's shocking how much crap comes out of them.

My filters were 3 years old (spa was previously owned by someone else) when I replaced them. I was pretty stunned at how much better the pressure was for all the jets in the spa due to just a filter change!

I do keep the old filters to take the majority of the load for cleaning out metals in my water when I refill the spa.

Good, clean filters seem to be pretty important.

Looks like you do indeed have the Tri-X filters (mine also came originally with those). My dealer told me to use the regular filters, as Peteyboy suggests. (I just found a place online that sells the Tri-X for $49.50 each, and since you need 5 of them, that's a spendy replacement!) I'm not sure how to determine which "regular" filters the Envoy takes, but maybe one of the Hot Spring experts on this site can tell you a model number. I purchased mine at my dealer for $30.00 each. I bet you can do better on price. :)

Best of luck with it all! - Raeven

Tri-X filters are what Hot Spring uses for the Envoy model. The first thing I would do is remove the filters completely. Then turn off power to the spa, let it sit 30 sec or so, and turn it back on. If your moto-massage works properly, and the power light stays on without the filters, then the filters are definitely your issue.

If the problem still exists, it may not be a filter issue. The moto-massage not working could be filter related (as can power light flashing) or you could have two separate issues.

But first, remove the filters completely and run the spa without them. That'll at least let you rule out if the filters are even the issue. :)

Ultimately Hot Spring uses the Tri-X filters in the Envoy because of the faster flow rate through them. However, you can also use a Unicel C-6430 filter (which fits all the Hot Spring models). They aren't dishwasher safe like the Tri-X, and don't have the same flow rate, but are about half the price. If you can find the Tri-X though, I'd go that route simply because it'll help provide you with optimal flow.

Ultimately Hot Spring uses the Tri-X filters in the Envoy because of the faster flow rate through them. However, you can also use a Unicel C-6430 filter (which fits all the Hot Spring models). They aren't dishwasher safe like the Tri-X, and don't have the same flow rate, but are about half the price. If you can find the Tri-X though, I'd go that route simply because it'll help provide you with optimal flow.

When the fitlers are new and clean it doesn't really matter but once they get dirty and a little wear on them you want the extra flow capability IMO so I'd use the TriX for the filters connected to the jet pump(s) but it doesn't matter for the one tied to the circ pump, either will do for that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your responses. I apologize for just getting back to you, we had a medical emergency in the family and I had to leave town and take care of him.

Actually, the place we bought the hot tub from had told me to chemically clean the filters and if that didn't fix the problem, they would come out and that it was still under warranty. We emptied the tub, chemically cleaned the filters, and still had the problem. So I called and they came out. They took the filters out completely, and it solved the problem. I wish they would have told me to take the filters completely out and try that first. It would have saved me a $130 house call. That's why I'm a little peeved and am looking elsewhere for my supplies. At least now I know what to do in the future. (Turn to you guys. ha!)

We clean the filters faithfully and empty and refill the tub 4 times a year. When we empty, we use the degreaser/chemical cleaner. (I asked about the pressure washer (cuz I thought it was a good idea too), but they said never use a pressure washer as it will damage the filters.) In between the emptying/cleaning times, we put the filters in the dishwasher. The filters are the originals that came with the tub. We bought the tub exactly 2 years ago. I thought about going with the regular filters too, just because I figure, replace the regular filters every year, or replace the TriX filters every 2 years. Six of one, half dozen of another. I just wasn't sure which one's worked for the Envoy and none of the websites I visited stated the Envoy specifically.

Again, thank you soooo much for all your help! I'll be coming to you from now on, before calling for service!

My regimen with the regular filters is to rinse them with the hose MONTHLY. I soak them overnight in the filter cleaner when I drain & refill 4 times per year.

You should get 3 or 4 years out of the regular filters and more with the Tri-X. Of course it depends on how well you take care of them.

Keep posting and you will get even higher.

I don't like the HotSpring filter cleaner. I use the stuff from Brilliance. It's a liquid and more of a degreaser. The thing that clogs filters more than anything is the oils off our bodies. I have a laundry sink in the house so I can soak all 3 filters at the same time. If no sink you can get a cheapo trash can at Dollar General or the like and use that. Soak them overnight and rinse real well before putting them back in. This can really extend the life of the filters.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Petey......are you talking about the HS brand filter cleaner? Is that the muriatic acid? 'Splain to me how you do that, what kind of container you soak in, and is it true the stuff is reusable (this is what a gal at the HS store told me)?

I soak my filters in a 14 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck tote. Just the right size to completely submerge 5 HS Tri-X filters. I use the same tote to store my chems and stuff. I think I paid about 10 bucks at wally world.

Hey Petey......are you talking about the HS brand filter cleaner? Is that the muriatic acid? 'Splain to me how you do that, what kind of container you soak in, and is it true the stuff is reusable (this is what a gal at the HS store told me)?

I soak my filters in a 14 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck tote. Just the right size to completely submerge 5 HS Tri-X filters. I use the same tote to store my chems and stuff. I think I paid about 10 bucks at wally world.

Thanks for the response, Mike! Great idea. Once you're done, how do you dispose of the cleaner solution? I'm still curious about the gal saying the stuff is "reuseable" - doesn't sound very practical (or safe either) to be storing 10 gallons of that stuff after it's mixed up and used (?) Or did I just misunderstand something?

Thanks for the response, Mike! Great idea. Once you're done, how do you dispose of the cleaner solution? I'm still curious about the gal saying the stuff is "reuseable" - doesn't sound very practical (or safe either) to be storing 10 gallons of that stuff after it's mixed up and used (?) Or did I just misunderstand something?

A lot of people get an extra filter and then clean them one at a time and that way you would keep using the solution from one filter to another. If you're cleaning them all at once then I suppose you could keep it and use it the next month but that seems kind of impractical.