Jets Coming On And Off Spontaneously

I have a hot springs sovereign II hot tub that is 5 or 6 years old. The jets keep going on and off spontaneously. Sometimes it is very intermittant and sometimes they will keep coming on and off every 10 or 15 seconds. I pulled the control panel off just to make sure that the button wasn't sticking and it still had the problem when operating directly from the circuit board. It also overheated once or twice and I got the flashing power light.

My inclination is that it must be the circuit board. Before I drop the $200 for a new board I wanted to see if anyone else has any thoughts or if there is someway I can check to verify that is the problem.

Thanks

Does it sound like the jets are cavitating or surging or does it sound like they are kicking on & off electrically?

If surging it could be clogged filters - remove them and try it, low water level - see if water goes below filters when jets are on, or the weir that floats up & down is getting stuck in the up position.

If a clicking sound then I would do some testing on the electrical going to the spa and pumps.

Good Luck

It sounds like the auxiliary control panel is malfunctioning. By auxiliary I mean the Jet/Light buttons INSIDE the hot tub (back near the lounge seat). Have seen it happen before. I like to call it "Ghosting" since the hot tub simply turns itself on and off at random will. If you're outside of warranty, you can try to disable the Auxiliary pad yourself if you're willing to take risks (it connects with a phone cord I think). If you're under warranty, I'd suggest you contact your local dealer so they can inspect & replace the control pad.

As far as overheating, you may want to check the status of your filters. If they're getting hard to pull water through, your pumps have to work a lot harder. :)

Jeremiah is correct on how the aux. control connects - it's a simple phone jack in the upper right hand part of the control box. You can simply unplug the aux. and reset the power to the spa. If this doesn't work please see my questions on my previous post.

Good Luck