Pool Chillers! Anyone Have One?

I'm wanting some information on pool chillers. I've been told they'll drop the temp of a pool about 15 degrees, is this true. I live in East Texas and we've had a stretch of 100+ days and everyones pools are about 93 - 97 degrees. Any info would be much appreciated!

I don't have one, but when my water gets too hot, I change the pump run time from day to nite and run the solar in manual "on" mode. never checked to see how cooled off the pool gets. I'm a "feel it" guy more than a degree guy. But if it gets down to say at least 80 at nite, I think you can get some good cool down.

Lot cheaper too.

P.S. Hope you have solar, so you can try this.

See this thread - I purchased 2 of the inexpensive PVC misters - they look goofy but the kids love playing under them and, most importantly, they work. If they look too goofy for your tastes remember they work best if used overnight, and are easily removed the next morning. Price for two was ~ $90 w/ shipping - I couldn't justify spending $1500 on an Arctic Glacier Cooler.

the chillers work very well, if installed correctly. They work just like a home heat pump hvac system, with the obvious difference that you're cooling water instead of air. You can maintain the water at 80-85 all summer if you wished. If you're considering making the investment, you can also get a heat pump/chiller which will heat water during the spring/fall, as well as cooling the water during the summer.

Heat pumps are the most effecient way of heating/cooling the water in your pool.

• 2 weeks later...

I must respectfully disagree (w/ qualifications) w/ you re: mist coolers. The principal at work is the same for evaporative cooling towers, although the latter are obviously much more efficient. Although ungainly, when mist coolers are operated at night in a pool w/ a high turnover rate my personal experience is that they don't simply cool the air and surface - they will cool the entire pool, although admittedly much more slowly than a cooling tower.

And while cooling towers - which typically utilize a small pump and electric fan - are inexpensive to operate, the initial purchase costs can be expensive. I've had good luck w/ the misters I purchased, ungainly as they are. They key is to run them overnight and have a high turnover rate (as I recall, mine is just over 3 hours).

That said, I live in the St. Louis area, but if I lived in a considerably warmer climate like East TX, I would not expect much relief from mist coolers and would definitely give long thought to a cooling tower. Pools w/ water temps in the low-mid 90's aren't inviting or refreshing when the ambient air temp is in the 90's-100's - kind of defeats the purpose of having a pool! But I can't justify the initial purchase cost of a cooling tower when I only expect a few weeks of really obnoxiously hot weather (and correspondingly high pool temps) where I live. As I said, I'd feel differently if I lived elsewhere.

I appreciate all the feedback, I'm new to the industry and this question was actually for a customer of mine so I'll have to let him decide on which way to go. He is considering a unit that is not one of the major name brands and its been hard for me to find any info on them, my biggest concern would be that one of these cheaper models, (its a freon type unit) is that it would slow down the turn over rate of the pool and wind up being a pain in my butt to keep his pool water clear. Thanks again for all the feedback!

We have been running our pool at night, waterfall full thrust - - trying to get/keep our water temp lowered, went out this morning it was 91 by the time I got home this evening to get in it was up to 93. Ridiculous, nothing soothing about getting into that! I followed the link below and I've just completed an order for the pool mister. We will give an update as soon as we get it installed and try it out! Hopefully, it will be some cool news. All puns intended:)

It would be great if anyone familiar with ozone could respond to our trouble [now concern] regarding our new ozone (combo salt) system. Anyone out there familiar with ozone and salt combinations????

Thanks Gfam

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to update and let you know that we installed the chiller Friday evening. As usual we ran our pump at night [our starting water temp on Friday was 93] Saturday morning the water temp was down to 89! This thing really works. It was cheap enough and simple to install. I would think that someone with some time could possibly tweak it and make it a bit more efficient though - but we're quite happy with it. If you haven't already done so, get one, as my main regret is that we have wasted most of our summer dreading the 92+ water temp that we have been dealing with...

I'm wanting some information on pool chillers. I've been told they'll drop the temp of a pool about 15 degrees, is this true. I live in East Texas and we've had a stretch of 100+ days and everyones pools are about 93 - 97 degrees. Any info would be much appreciated!

I followed the link [yours?] and ordered the PVC misting type for an inground pool.

Gfam, what type/make/model did you buy?

I was told yesterday that there is a health club in Lafayette La whose owner was upset about his customers not being able to enjoy the pools due to high water temps and he recently installed some type of chilling system and that it DOES work.

Oh, OK - glad they're working for you - they did for me, although I've only used them once, during a 7-10 day-long heat wave back in early July. It hasn't been a great swimming season here in StL. Lots of rain and overcast skies. Pursuant to Murphy's Law, it seems like the best weather comes during the work week, and when the skies clear it usually happens just before sunset!

My 16x32 inground (16,500G) has 5 returns - 2 in the step section, and 3 along one side wall. I bought 2 of the misters and plugged into the returns on either end of the side wall. They seem to be working for you, but if you find they don't cool the pool sufficiently you can probably achieve better cooling by buying/using one more. Like I said, they're kind of ungainly but they do work, and you can always remove them before hosting guests - although the kids certainly liked them. Definitely can't argue w/ the price...

I'm afraid it wouldn't be stable enough in the pool with my 5yo to play around it. Do you have a problem with your water leaking/splashing out at the union? I have already blocked 1 return to try to increase the pressure still the water is running down the PVC,hits the union then is splashing down and out. Any ideas?

Oh, OK - glad they're working for you - they did for me, although I've only used them once, during a 7-10 day-long heat wave back in early July. It hasn't been a great swimming season here in StL. Lots of rain and overcast skies. Pursuant to Murphy's Law, it seems like the best weather comes during the work week, and when the skies clear it usually happens just before sunset!

My 16x32 inground (16,500G) has 5 returns - 2 in the step section, and 3 along one side wall. I bought 2 of the misters and plugged into the returns on either end of the side wall. They seem to be working for you, but if you find they don't cool the pool sufficiently you can probably achieve better cooling by buying/using one more. Like I said, they're kind of ungainly but they do work, and you can always remove them before hosting guests - although the kids certainly liked them. Definitely can't argue w/ the price...

I'm afraid it wouldn't be stable enough in the pool with my 5yo to play around it. Do you have a problem with your water leaking/splashing out at the union? I have already blocked 1 return to try to increase the pressure still the water is running down the PVC,hits the union then is splashing down and out. Any ideas?

Since you're observing leaking/splashing, I assume that by 'union' you're referring to the connection between the upper and lower vertical sections of the PVC pipe. The answer is that no, I haven't experienced that (yet), but I'm not surprised it's happening given the water pressure at the returns and the fact that the pipe sections aren't cemented (to allow for easier shipment). Try 'screwing' them together. Most likely, you'll need to buy a small kit w/ a can of PVC primer and a can of cement and weld the sections together (since you've mentioned it, I'll probably do that when I close our pool in October). Need only wait a few minutes before re-installing them to check the results.

NOTE: Be sure to wipe the outside of the pipe and the inside of the connector clean/dry before priming, apply primer to both areas and allow the primer to dry completely (very important - only takes a couple of minutes at most) before applying the cement. Also, be sure to twist the pipe so the upper pipe (and nozzles) is fully seated and properly aligned (180 from the return and wall) immediately after applying the cement - PVC cement sets up within seconds.

This should eliminate the problem, let me know.

Re: your 5-year old - I repeatedly (but gently) reminded my 3 and 1/2 year old that she can play under it but absolutely not to touch. Unless your kid really grabs it and puts weight on it, worst result is probably it's twisted out of alignment or maybe pops out of the return. Also, if you only install them at night (when they'll perform best anyway) you take the kid out of the equation so it's a non-issue.

• 2 years later...

I have a 31,000 gallon pool in Katy Texas and its plenty hot here. Last year the pool was typically 93-95 degrees during summer months. I ordered 2 pool misters online for like $35 each. After installation I wasn't satisfied with the flow, so I used the supplied plugs to plug 2 of the other returns. I have 7 total returns. 2 with misters, 2 plugged, and 3 flowing normally. It took about 10 days, but my pool now hovers around 82 degrees. It's very refreshing. In fact, on July 4th, the kids asked me to turn it off because they were cold....

So if you ask me, I'm not sure why anyone would spend more than $100 total. There's really no need.