Free Chlorine Is 10 On Test Strip

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question, I did a test of my water in my inground pool, which is a 16x28 inground. And the level of chlorine was 10 on the strip. We went swimming today and noticed that my eyes where cloudy and I can feel it in my throat. How can I bring down the level, and are we able to swim in it. Any idea's will help me.

Thanks in advanance

bigsave21 from Canada.

What kind of a chlorinator do you have? If it is a trichlor feeder, is best to remove the tabs from the feeder because the tabs will continue to dissolve and the concentration will become dangerously high. Do not put wet tabs back in the bucket.

Once tabs get wet they continue to dissolve and are dangerous. About 30 minutes before opening a trichlor feeder, you need to turn the feeder to full to allow any concentrated chlorine to be flushed out; otherwise, you could get chlorine gassed.

You also need to get a real test kit that will test for free chlorine, combined chlorine, total chlorine, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness and cyanuric acid. The strips are not going to give you enough information to avoid the kinds of problems that you are experiencing.