Above Ground Spa In The Ground

I need some help with my spa situation and i apologize if the question has been answered somewhere already. I tried to search for it but didn't have much luck.

I am trying to landscape my backyard on a budget and i am a pretty handy guy. However, i know nothing about spas and the difference between above ground spas and in ground spas (other than the obvious). I really want to put a spa in the ground in my backyard and then build a small deck around it on the ground, but an in ground spa is extremely expensive. Above ground spas on the other hand can be very cheap if found used.

My question (sorry for dragging it on) is can an above ground spa be burried in the ground to look like an inground spa? This could be a silly question and i apologize if it is, but i was thinking that if the above ground spa has a wooden box around it already, why not just bury the whole enclosure.

Please let me know if i am way off base or not. It may not even be a possibility but it sure would save me a bunch of money.

Thanks,

My question (sorry for dragging it on) is can an above ground spa be burried in the ground to look like an inground spa? This could be a silly question and i apologize if it is, but i was thinking that if the above ground spa has a wooden box around it already, why not just bury the whole enclosure.

It’s done often. You either build a vault to put the spa into or you build a deck around it. Of course the smart way to go IMO is to have it partially above ground. If you design it to leave it 16" or so above ground (or above deck level) it makes it MUCH easier to get into/out of and also allows you to use a cover lifter, a valuable, much appreciated accessory. Just make sure you allow the front of the spa to be accessible and get yourself a quality made spa.

It can be done, in fact, I'm almost done with my build. Mine is a bit more complicated than just burying it and being done.

First, mine is only partially buried, about a foot of it is above ground. This is because digging any deeper in my yard becomes WAY to hard.(Gravel Impregnated Clay from old Railroad tracks). Not only that, but my pumps and stuff aren't in the cabinet like most. I ran PVC underground from the spa to a Doghouse sized box that holds both pumps and the blower. Reason I did this was because we have an AG pool next to the hot tub and 160 sq. ft. of solar panels on the roof. I plumbed it so I can move water from the pool to hot tub and vice versa, and so I can use the pool pump to heat the hot tub with the solar panels.

Actually, tomorrow is the big day! We're dropping the hot tub itself into it's cabinet(which is already in the hole) and making the final plumbing connections.

I'll post a link to a thread where I have pics of the build, that I will be updating with pics tomorrow.

Adam

I think Spatech has the right answer. If your tub is level to the ground, you really don't know where the bottom is located when you get in. Sitting on the side and spinning into the tub lets you clean off your feet and settle in easy.