Custom Spa Or Prepackaged Deal?

Country

Hi. I am rebuilding my deck. Not knowing how to design a deck, I hired an architect to draw up plans. He created masterful plans and I have a carpenter on hand who does excellent work.

I want to have a hot tub sunk into the deck, it will be nearly flush with the top of the deck. This deck sits around 5' off the ground so there's plenty of room under the tub. The deck was engineered for this and my carpenter can make any appropriate support.

I am reluctant to buy a ready-made hot tub kit for this. I'd like more of a custom setup, where the tub is insulated underneath but I want beefy pumps and a solid heater. I believe when hot tubs were first becoming popular, the pumps and heaters were kept in a little pump-house anyway.

I am having a hard time finding a custom spa designer. One guy was supposed to come today, "no show". He was referred to me. You'd think in this economy I could find ready assistance, but everyone wants to sell me a prepackaged kit that will sit above ground.

Speaking with the guy on the phone, he said he could order a shell from Mountain Springs Spa in Montana, and customize the rest. Since this guy didn't show up, and isn't answering his cell phone, and I had to adjust my entire schedule to accommodate him, I don't want to further anything with him. But I have to admit I was impressed with his idea.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi. I am rebuilding my deck. Not knowing how to design a deck, I hired an architect to draw up plans. He created masterful plans and I have a carpenter on hand who does excellent work.

I want to have a hot tub sunk into the deck, it will be nearly flush with the top of the deck. This deck sits around 5' off the ground so there's plenty of room under the tub. The deck was engineered for this and my carpenter can make any appropriate support.

I am reluctant to buy a ready-made hot tub kit for this. I'd like more of a custom setup, where the tub is insulated underneath but I want beefy pumps and a solid heater. I believe when hot tubs were first becoming popular, the pumps and heaters were kept in a little pump-house anyway.

I am having a hard time finding a custom spa designer. One guy was supposed to come today, "no show". He was referred to me. You'd think in this economy I could find ready assistance, but everyone wants to sell me a prepackaged kit that will sit above ground.

Speaking with the guy on the phone, he said he could order a shell from Mountain Springs Spa in Montana, and customize the rest. Since this guy didn't show up, and isn't answering his cell phone, and I had to adjust my entire schedule to accommodate him, I don't want to further anything with him. But I have to admit I was impressed with his idea.

Any advice appreciated.

His idea would be best. A spa shell and then custom the way you want it. All in all though some prebuilt tubs do have a big 3 hp pumps in them and after its all said and done I bet the custom one would cost more. It still needs a frame support and cabinet to protect from any animals making nest in the spa. Seperat equipment like a filter, heater and pump going to run you about $3000.00 for good stuff

Hi there. :) Generally speaking, a fully enclosed/self contained hot tub is going to be much more efficient energy wise, cost less to purchase/install, and generally be more reliable in my experience. Not to mention it'll require a LOT less work on your end to get it installed in the first place.

Being a Hot Spring Spa dealer in Montana, I'm familiar with the Mountain Spring Spas which are made here in Montana. They also sell relatively inexpensive 'portable spas' (self contained/enclosed). I keep a pretty good eye on used hot tubs being sold through Craiglist and have noticed there tend to be a proportionately large number of Mountain Spring hot tubs for sale. The reason for this is of course up for grabs, but that's what I've seen. I can say however, because they are a small manufacturer, I don't think they have any dealers outside of Montana (though I can certainly be wrong about that). To my knowledge I only know of a dealer in Helena and Missoula Montana. This could make technical or parts support a by phone deal if you don't have a local dealer.

Generally it's best to buy a product that's got local support.

I don't have any personal experience with Mountain Springs as far as in ground shells are concerned. Never spoken to a customer who has purchased just a spa shell from them.

Do you live in Montana by chance?

Generally it's best to buy a product that's got local support.

I don't have any personal experience with Mountain Springs as far as in ground shells are concerned. Never spoken to a customer who has purchased just a spa shell from them.

Do you live in Montana by chance?

Hi. Thanks a lot for the feedback. I should probably just get a prepackaged deal. I am not in MT but a nearby state. Mountain Springs owns a local spa dealer (I just called them and the guy said his store is fully owned by Mountain Springs).

Here is the deal with Mountain Springs that I like. The guy who recommended them said he has been in the spa business as install/repair for 20 years, and he likes their shells a lot. He said they are very well-built and lined with fiberglass. Sealed bottom. Highest standard. He ended up coming out to my property late, so we did talk. He said if I buy a used spa, he will move it into place for me and help choose a good one. Much of what he said is the same as what I read mentioned here. Examples: that there are some deals on good used spas, some brands are to be avoided such as Costcto, and curiously he said Hot Springs very difficult to service if a leak occurs, due to being fully-foamed. I visited a local Hot Springs dealer, the salesman was emphatic that Hot Springs is the only choice for clean water. Sounded a bit fishy!

So back to the Mountain Springs local dealer, he is offering the package at link below for $4995 which sounds like a great deal. 5 year warranty. After the first year, $85 trip charge applies, all else is covered. He said the two pumps are Waterway and the controls are Balboa. I have seen people here state that those are good. Most of the things listed as Option are included as part of this $4995 deal. All in all it seems like a nice package.

http://www.mountainspringsspa.com/web/everest.html