2009 Sundance Optima Vs 2009 Bullfrog 682

ok, so after reseaching spas to the point of enduring a mild brain anurism, I think I might have narrowed it down to two: The 2009 Sundance Optima vs 2009 Bullfrog 682. The local Sundance dealer offered me $6950 for the Optima including a cover lifter, stairs, CD Ozonator, etc (No stereo or extra lighting). From what I can tell from all the research, this is one heck of a price for a new (choose my colors, etc.), non-refurbished. I came in with this price point with a competing dealers offer on a Dynasty tub, and he matched the offer on this tub to try and get my business. This dealer has been in business for over 20 years. It's a very small shop, single owner, etc....

I looked at a bullfrog 682 today, and I have to admit that the technlogy intrigues me. The newer tubs have a circulation pump I guess, so the "stagnant, slimy water" issues behind the jetpacks in older models, in theory should no long be a problem. I haven't started negotiations yet, but my hunch is that they won't be able to meet the price on the Optima.

My question is this: Would it be foolish to turn down the Optima at the price provided or if I can get the bullfrog dealer within the same price range, is the bullfrog a better long term investment? I really worry about maintenance problems down the road with all foam insulated tubs. The Bullfrog's innovative design really seems to prevent or reduce longer term maintenance costs, with the jet packs and most of the tubing inside the tub...

I beg you, please put me out of my misery and help me pull the trigger on one of these tubs!!!! :) Any and all feedback welcome. I won't get a chance to wet test either one unfortunately, so let's get that out of the way... I know it's risky, but my wife and I are ok with that risk at this point. We just want a tub that's as low maintenance as possible, that will last many years through harsh Wisconsin winters!!!

As a former Sundance dealer your getting that tub almost at cost! WOW! I was selling it in '03 at $8200.00. I looked at Bullfrogs with the thought of selling them recently and passed. I will take Sundance away from another dealer in this new area when I start up. A great product.

Personally I do not think those two tubs can compare to each other very well.

I also want to mention I do not think you can beat Sundance's jet technology. I got in this because 80% of my spine is fused and so for me it has always been about therapy not novelty.

Have you wet tested these tubs? I have wet tested the 682 FB tub and like having high and low pump speeds as well as the selection of different jet packs. My sister has a sundance tub and really likes it. We do not have a sundance dealer local but I am always looking for a deal(not alway the best approach :rolleyes: ) and the optima is the tub I would like to look at.

As a former Sundance dealer your getting that tub almost at cost! WOW! I was selling it in '03 at $8200.00. I looked at Bullfrogs with the thought of selling them recently and passed. I will take Sundance away from another dealer in this new area when I start up. A great product.

I also want to mention I do not think you can beat Sundance's jet technology. I got in this because 80% of my spine is fused and so for me it has always been about therapy not novelty.

Well that makes me feel a little better. You mention that you are a former Sundance dealer. Do you sell another brand now? I'd be curious on your perspective another brand of hot tub that you'd recommend as an equivalent or better than the Sundance Optima....... Or you could simply tell me.....Hey, for that price, stop killing yourself...go get the Sundance!!! :rolleyes:

Well that makes me feel a little better. You mention that you are a former Sundance dealer. Do you sell another brand now? I'd be curious on your perspective another brand of hot tub that you'd recommend as an equivalent or better than the Sundance Optima....... Or you could simply tell me.....Hey, for that price, stop killing yourself...go get the Sundance!!! :rolleyes:

Im a Sundance dealer in Ohio. That price is insane.. a new 2009 optima my best cash price is 9500.. Sounds to good to be true.. That is cost basically at my shop. the dealer isnt making any money on that..Are they staying in business?? Im intrigued to find out.

My mother got the Optima a few years ago and I really liked it. It had all the bells and whistles with the floating remote for the stereo and the lights and the waterfall, but the jets were really nice as well.

The only bad comment we ever had was from a short girl(5-3) who said she sat too low in the water...

I would jump on that deal in a heartbeat if I was you!

ok, so after reseaching spas to the point of enduring a mild brain anurism, I think I might have narrowed it down to two: The 2009 Sundance Optima vs 2009 Bullfrog 682. The local Sundance dealer offered me $6950 for the Optima including a cover lifter, stairs, CD Ozonator, etc (No stereo or extra lighting). From what I can tell from all the research, this is one heck of a price for a new (choose my colors, etc.), non-refurbished. I came in with this price point with a competing dealers offer on a Dynasty tub, and he matched the offer on this tub to try and get my business. This dealer has been in business for over 20 years. It's a very small shop, single owner, etc....

I looked at a bullfrog 682 today, and I have to admit that the technlogy intrigues me. The newer tubs have a circulation pump I guess, so the "stagnant, slimy water" issues behind the jetpacks in older models, in theory should no long be a problem. I haven't started negotiations yet, but my hunch is that they won't be able to meet the price on the Optima.

My question is this: Would it be foolish to turn down the Optima at the price provided or if I can get the bullfrog dealer within the same price range, is the bullfrog a better long term investment? I really worry about maintenance problems down the road with all foam insulated tubs. The Bullfrog's innovative design really seems to prevent or reduce longer term maintenance costs, with the jet packs and most of the tubing inside the tub...

I beg you, please put me out of my misery and help me pull the trigger on one of these tubs!!!! :) Any and all feedback welcome. I won't get a chance to wet test either one unfortunately, so let's get that out of the way... I know it's risky, but my wife and I are ok with that risk at this point. We just want a tub that's as low maintenance as possible, that will last many years through harsh Wisconsin winters!!!

Iwillaceu,

Does this dealer happen to be All Seasons Spas in Green Bay? Sounds familiar! :lol:

Thanks, Randy

Iwillaceu,

Does this dealer happen to be All Seasons Spas in Green Bay? Sounds familiar! :lol:

Thanks, Randy

It sure is Randy.. What's the catch with All Seasons Spas? The dude has been in business for quite a few years. I am worried that he's going out of business in the next year or two. He said he wasn't, but....... Do you know something I don't in regards to this place?

Im a Sundance dealer in Ohio. That price is insane.. a new 2009 optima my best cash price is 9500.. Sounds to good to be true.. That is cost basically at my shop. the dealer isnt making any money on that..Are they staying in business?? Im intrigued to find out.

I will keep y'all posted. The guy really did seem genuine as we talked through everything. I did give him a price point to beat, but agree it did shock me. More to come..... :)

Iwillaceu,

Thanks, Randy

It sure is Randy.. What's the catch with All Seasons Spas? The dude has been in business for quite a few years. I am worried that he's going out of business in the next year or two. He said he wasn't, but....... Do you know something I don't in regards to this place?

Hi, No I really can't tell you much either way as I did not buy my spa from him. But, despite living 200 miles North of GB, I came very close. As you saw, his prices are great, about $2k less than my local Sundance dealer. He had some last year models (a 07 Chelsee for about $5600, I think) that were another $1k off that, that I almost went for. He would deliver for free (about a 4 hour drive) but a service call would be $150 additional, which seemed fair, considering the travel.

But I agree, John, the owner seemed like a very honest, no frills (as is the place) genuine guy. I would have no problem buying from him at all, if he was a little closer and I didn't find another dealer that was closer that was competitive on prices, too. I did hear him answer the phone and work with a customer when I was in the store looking around, and he did respond and reply in a very positive excellent fashion.

The only problem I had, was he had very few (if any tubs to wet test, some had water in them, but were not heated! (Like I said, no frills!) But I would demand to have him fill and heat the tubs you are looking before even considering buying anything....Like you have read so many times in this forum..you MUST wet test before buying, and not just the tub you are looking at, but many, many tubs so you have a comparison...I tested for over a year, and ended up hating the tub I thought looked best on paper, and love the tub I didn't think I would. I shutter to think what I would of ended up with if I had not wet tested!.

Like I said, I would buy from him if I lived near by, he seems very good.

Thanks Randy

Iwillaceu,

Thanks, Randy

Hi, No I really can't tell you much either way as I did not buy my spa from him. But, despite living 200 miles North of GB, I came very close. As you saw, his prices are great, about $2k less than my local Sundance dealer. He had some last year models (a 07 Chelsee for about $5600, I think) that were another $1k off that, that I almost went for. He would deliver for free (about a 4 hour drive) but a service call would be $150 additional, which seemed fair, considering the travel.

But I agree, John, the owner seemed like a very honest, no frills (as is the place) genuine guy. I would have no problem buying from him at all, if he was a little closer and I didn't find another dealer that was closer that was competitive on prices, too. I did hear him answer the phone and work with a customer when I was in the store looking around, and he did respond and reply in a very positive excellent fashion.

The only problem I had, was he had very few (if any tubs to wet test, some had water in them, but were not heated! (Like I said, no frills!) But I would demand to have him fill and heat the tubs you are looking before even considering buying anything....Like you have read so many times in this forum..you MUST wet test before buying, and not just the tub you are looking at, but many, many tubs so you have a comparison...I tested for over a year, and ended up hating the tub I thought looked best on paper, and love the tub I didn't think I would. I shutter to think what I would of ended up with if I had not wet tested!.

Thanks Randy

Thanks much Randy for the quick reply. Had me worried for a bit. Makes feel a little better that my intuition on this guy being fairly honest was consistent with yours. Which tub did you go with? Just curious. I will definitely see if I can wet test the Optima to be sure. I have to admit though, that bullfrog is really intriguing with that no leak design w/jet packs...

Iwillaceu,

Thanks, Randy

Thanks Randy

Thanks much Randy for the quick reply. Had me worried for a bit. Makes feel a little better that my intuition on this guy being fairly honest was consistent with yours. Which tub did you go with? Just curious. I will definitely see if I can wet test the Optima to be sure. I have to admit though, that bullfrog is really intriguing with that no leak design w/jet packs...

Hi,

I bought a Hot Springs Vanguard. Absolutely love it, great design, even greater value, moto massages can't be beat, no problems whatsoever and very cheap to run, even though it is used every night in a climate colder than Green Bay!

But that is my choice, Sundance is another excellent tub, (never tried Bullfrog), what you like may be totally different after wet testing. Enjoy whatever you end up with.

Thanks, Randy

I would get it. Even if that dealer closes tomorrow someone else will open a Sundance Dealership I know. The Hot Springs Vanguard is good too but you won't get near that price. I sold my dealership on the other end of the state to move to the coast and re-open but then the economy went soft and I have been waiting for it to get better. I sold Sundance and Masterspas. I have a Masterspa LSX also and wouldn't trade it for nothing. Th

is forum usually has not had many good things to say over Master but I never had any problems with the dealership and will take them on again.

No one out there has a jet design that is even in the same league as Sundances bearing free jet. Do look at D1, Marquis and Jacuzzi also.

My wife and I looked at Sundance and Bullfrog:

Found Bullfrog to be very uncomfortable after about 10 minutes, jets were great,but seating was confining.

Sundance quoted at that price is a steal, but our local dealer is way out of wack price wise and has a attitude

We settled on a Hot Springs Grandee 2009 late year model change and ordered it yesterday and have to wait 3=4 weeks for it to be built, but good things take time!!!!

iwillaceu: If you can pick up a brand new Optima for that price, it sounds like an extremely good deal. Of course as a Hot Spring dealer/fanatic, I'd always recommend you check out your local Hot Spring dealer before you pull the trigger. However, between Bullfrog and Sundance, I'd recommend the Sundance Spa first. Good quality product.

Obviously your Bullfrog dealer has tried to quell the issue of the stagnant/moldy water behind the jet packs. The little stream of water they squirt behind the jetpacks didn't do the trick. At least not for Bullfrog owners in our area. It's a step in the right direction, but it's to little pressure in to tight a place.

As far as the "no-leak" plumbing deal, be careful about that. There's no true "no-leak" anything frankly. Their idea of course is that if it does leak, you'll never know because most of the plumbing is under water behind your jetpacks.

iwillaceu: If you can pick up a brand new Optima for that price, it sounds like an extremely good deal. Of course as a Hot Spring dealer/fanatic, I'd always recommend you check out your local Hot Spring dealer before you pull the trigger. However, between Bullfrog and Sundance, I'd recommend the Sundance Spa first. Good quality product.

Obviously your Bullfrog dealer has tried to quell the issue of the stagnant/moldy water behind the jet packs. The little stream of water they squirt behind the jetpacks didn't do the trick. At least not for Bullfrog owners in our area. It's a step in the right direction, but it's to little pressure in to tight a place.

As far as the "no-leak" plumbing deal, be careful about that. There's no true "no-leak" anything frankly. Their idea of course is that if it does leak, you'll never know because most of the plumbing is under water behind your jetpacks.

More than likely I'm going to get the Sundance Optima, but I do plan to checkout the Hot Spring as well. The only issue is that the closest Hot Spring dealer is not in my city, so would be a little bit of pain for future service, etc. Turns out I got a little lucky on the price for the Optima, kinda a long story, but to sum it up, the owner stuck to his word on the price even though some of the variables changed in my favor. Real genuine guy. He mentioned that he actually was still making a little money on it, so the markup must be quite significant on these spas! :)

Anyway, I do appreciate everyone's feedback and guidance throughout my search process. Very much appreciated. After all the research I've done, I do think that I would have been happy with several brands of spas out there....it just came down to the fact that i got lucky on a really good deal on one of them.. :)

I would be interested though if anyone has had any feedback related to Dynasty Spas? Their new to our area, and not alot of history to know whether they are a quality tub or not... I first looked at their Dynasty Liberty Tub, then came across the bullfrog and then Sundance....

More than likely I'm going to get the Sundance Optima, but I do plan to checkout the Hot Spring as well. The only issue is that the closest Hot Spring dealer is not in my city, so would be a little bit of pain for future service, etc. Turns out I got a little lucky on the price for the Optima, kinda a long story, but to sum it up, the owner stuck to his word on the price even though some of the variables changed in my favor. Real genuine guy. He mentioned that he actually was still making a little money on it, so the markup must be quite significant on these spas! :)

Anyway, I do appreciate everyone's feedback and guidance throughout my search process. Very much appreciated. After all the research I've done, I do think that I would have been happy with several brands of spas out there....it just came down to the fact that i got lucky on a really good deal on one of them.. :)

I would be interested though if anyone has had any feedback related to Dynasty Spas? Their new to our area, and not alot of history to know whether they are a quality tub or not... I first looked at their Dynasty Liberty Tub, then came across the bullfrog and then Sundance....

I sell the Sundance line in Ohio.. That optima price is incredible!!!!!! If you like the spa and the dealer BUY that spa!!! Dont even waste your time with Dynasty...not even comparing the same quality of spa. Enjoy and Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

I live in GA, Been working on my local dealer for weeks to lower his prices, he won't do it. So I bought a 2009 Optima for $9,600.00... Added IntelliSound Stereo System for $1,200.00.

Total $10,800 delivered. "Ouch" "Ouch"

Total cost included a upgraded cover lift he said cost $400.00, $200.00 steps and chemicals for 1 yr, delivery and set up.

I should drive to Wisconsin to buy one for $6,950. Hurry, Run and buy it..lol What a steal...

Will he ship out of state?

I got 3 Business days in GA to cancel a contract.

• 7 months later...

Did that best cash price of $9500 include ozonator, cover, lift, chemicals?