Adjusting Alkalinity

PeteE

Notice the Alklinity in my tub was low. Went to buy some Alkalinity increaser and couldn't find any. How do you raise the Alkalinity? PH levels look OK. What are the effect of low Alkalinity? Could it be itchy skin? If not, what cause itchy skin/irritation.

Thanks.

Notice the Alklinity in my tub was low. Went to buy some Alkalinity increaser and couldn't find any. How do you raise the Alkalinity? PH levels look OK. What are the effect of low Alkalinity? Could it be itchy skin? If not, what cause itchy skin/irritation.

Thanks.

Akalitity can be raised with standerd baking soda or sodium bicarbonate. But with your PH where it needs to be I would only worry about TA (total alkalitity) if it was way low at 40-60 PPM depending on your sanitation routine your PH may go down slowly over time and if that is the case the baking soda will raise both your TA and your PH. If you are very concerned about it you could lower your PH with a little PH down and then pull both your TA and PH back into range together. Low TA shouldn't give you itchy skin, but a few other things can, a reaction to your sanitation product, dry skin from hot water, exyma (spelling) If your itchy skin s a probem you should see your doctor to get a proper diognosis, Lotion after your soak may help.