Circulation Pump

What's the pros and cons if you change the programming/setting of the circulation pump, so it won't run 24 hrs a day?

Would it save you some energy bills?

Would it affects water quality?

If we're going to change the setting, what's the ideal setting we should program it? like run every 8 hrs or so? If it's a bad idea to not run the pump 24 hrs a day, would anyone let us know and why?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

What's the pros and cons if you change the programming/setting of the circulation pump, so it won't run 24 hrs a day?

If we're going to change the setting, what's the ideal setting we should program it? like run every 8 hrs or so? If it's a bad idea to not run the pump 24 hrs a day, would anyone let us know and why?

1) A large % of the energy used to run a circ pump is transferred back to the water in the form of heat. Therefore, if it cost $10/month for the circ pump to run 24/7 and you shut it down half the time you wouldn't even save the full $5, you probably save $3.

2) If you lessen the total time its run you could certainly affect water quality.

3) A circ pump running 24/7 allowing the ozonator to also run 24/7. Therefore, if you have an ozonator, lessening the amount of time the circ pump runs also lessens the amount of ozonation which is a double whammy for water care.

You could experiment a bit and lower it from 24 hrs/day to 16/day and maybe not see a big difference though I wouldn't bother personally for the reasons stated above.

If you can change your settings for the circ pump you will also cut down on heating which your spa might be cooler then you want when your ready to use it. There really is no energy saving to not running it, they are tiny pumps that use very little electric less than most light bulbs

My spa has a 24 hour circ pump that has to run in order to heat the spa. If I set the spa to economy mode then the heater will only operate two hours at a time twice daily. that usually keeps the spa to the set temp. I would leave the circ pump alone as you will loose filtration, ozone and heat when not being used perhaps.

As said, it depends on how your spa controller behaves.

On mine I can set the filtration (circ pump) time from 0-24 hours but it will still activate it for heating if required even if set to 0

It also depends on how much water you circ pump shifts per min if it is a really small pump you may need to have it on a lot to get the required level of filtration.