Leisure Bay, Sunbelt, Sundance, Vita........

We would first like to express our appreciation for this forum, as we are totally confused and bewildered regarding the purchase of a new spa. We have been given the sales pitch from many manufacturers all claiming to be the Rolls Royce or the Best in the industry regarding construction, warranty, service, sales, pricing and on and on. We would just like a straight answer or polling from members of this forum regarding opinions on who they feel makes the best spa for the money. We would typically like to keep costs down but not end up buying junk.

Has anyone had experience with Leisure Bay Spas? We are looking at the Mediterranean Model for 7,000 but just noticed it has a plywood substructure base. Not to smart in my opinion but who knows, this is a first time purchase of a spa .

We also looked at models from Sunbelt, Sundance, Vita (who I understand went out of business) all ranging in price from Costco's 4,000 Cal Spa unit up to Sundance for 15,000. We would like to stay in the 5,000 to 6,000 range for a 6-8 person spa.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We would first like to express our appreciation for this forum, as we are totally confused and bewildered regarding the purchase of a new spa. We have been given the sales pitch from many manufacturers all claiming to be the Rolls Royce or the Best in the industry regarding construction, warranty, service, sales, pricing and on and on. We would just like a straight answer or polling from members of this forum regarding opinions on who they feel makes the best spa for the money. We would typically like to keep costs down but not end up buying junk.

Has anyone had experience with Leisure Bay Spas? We are looking at the Mediterranean Model for 7,000 but just noticed it has a plywood substructure base. Not to smart in my opinion but who knows, this is a first time purchase of a spa .

We also looked at models from Sunbelt, Sundance, Vita (who I understand went out of business) all ranging in price from Costco's 4,000 Cal Spa unit up to Sundance for 15,000. We would like to stay in the 5,000 to 6,000 range for a 6-8 person spa.

Do not buy Leisure Bay IMHO. You will end up buying junk. I had the worst experiance with them, and only had my tub (Mediterranean) for 3 days. I wish I would have been on these forums prior to my purchase. I have a Jacuzzi now and love it. Look on the forums and you will see alot of good brands. Jacuzzi, Sundance, Hotsprings, Caldera, Artic, etc........ Check with your local dealers and ask about the floor models. They are usually alot cheaper and have warranty. Also wet test your spas to see which one you will like the best. A spa is a huge investment. Whatever you do, dont go shopping at Rec Warehouse, the pain is not worth it. Good luck.......

At 5-6 g's for a tub that seats 6-8 people you will have to settle for a value tub from someplace. It will not have the fit and finish or longevity of a higher end tub. Generaly you will only get a good quality 6-8 person tub for 8-10 grand. I'm not a big fan of Sundance even though there are probably the best of what you mentioned, but for 15 G's they saw you comin!! I don't think there's any tub out there worth that kind of money for a hot water soak. Are those the only options in your area?

Do not buy Leisure Bay IMHO. You will end up buying junk. I had the worst experiance with them, and only had my tub (Mediterranean) for 3 days. I wish I would have been on these forums prior to my purchase. I have a Jacuzzi now and love it. Look on the forums and you will see alot of good brands. Jacuzzi, Sundance, Hotsprings, Caldera, Artic, etc........ Check with your local dealers and ask about the floor models. They are usually alot cheaper and have warranty. Also wet test your spas to see which one you will like the best. A spa is a huge investment. Whatever you do, dont go shopping at Rec Warehouse, the pain is not worth it. Good luck.......

Thank you for your input as I am having the same feeling about Rec Warehouse as you have highlighted. I just found this forum yesterday and was very impressed with the knowledge that was being offered and again, thank you.

Mark

At 5-6 g's for a tub that seats 6-8 people you will have to settle for a value tub from someplace. It will not have the fit and finish or longevity of a higher end tub. Generaly you will only get a good quality 6-8 person tub for 8-10 grand. I'm not a big fan of Sundance even though there are probably the best of what you mentioned, but for 15 G's they saw you comin!! I don't think there's any tub out there worth that kind of money for a hot water soak. Are those the only options in your area?

Thanks Roger, and yes it seems that these are the available dealers here in South Florida. The only reason we set a 5 to 6 grand budget was by seeing what was available here and what we were seeing on your forum and the such. The other point you make, I agree, is that when we went to the Sundance dealer and he told us 15 G's we about fell over, then he started showing us these lesser quality models. That is when I felt we should just take a step back and consider what we were getting into and then found this forum. Thank God for that!!!

So all in all if we have to spend another 2 -3 grand then so be it, I just want to make sure for that kind of cash we get what we pay for. This whole Rec Warehouse deal in making me sick already. How about his plywood bottom thing, do you have any comments?

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Roger, and yes it seems that these are the available dealers here in South Florida. The only reason we set a 5 to 6 grand budget was by seeing what was available here and what we were seeing on your forum and the such. The other point you make, I agree, is that when we went to the Sundance dealer and he told us 15 G's we about fell over, then he started showing us these lesser quality models. That is when I felt we should just take a step back and consider what we were getting into and then found this forum. Thank God for that!!!

So all in all if we have to spend another 2 -3 grand then so be it, I just want to make sure for that kind of cash we get what we pay for. This whole Rec Warehouse deal in making me sick already. How about his plywood bottom thing, do you have any comments?

Thanks,

Mark

Take your time, a few weeks research is well worth it to get the best spa for you for the next decade+. While you may have to spend more than $5-6k to get a quality spa with the things you're looking for you certainly do not need to spend anywhere near $15k. Go to the websites of the top spa makers (such as the ones below), use their dealer locator to see who is local and visit them all.

http://www.arcticspas.com

http://www.calderaspas.com/Locator/index.html

http://www.d1spas.com/find-local-dealer.html

http://www.hotspring.com/index_spas_hot_spring.html

http://www.jacuzzi.com/products/

http://www.marquisspas.com/storelocator/

http://www.sundancespas.com/

Thanks,

Mark

I like an ABS, Acrylic or fiberglass bottom. And those that wrap up the sides are top notch like Marquis. Be carefull with ABS, some use a thin crappy sheet stapled on. While others have a thick molded piece.

Thanks,

Mark

I like an ABS, Acrylic or fiberglass bottom. And those that wrap up the sides are top notch like Marquis. Be carefull with ABS, some use a thin crappy sheet stapled on. While others have a thick molded piece.

Thanks again, will take your advice and research as you have highlighted.

Remember I live in Northern Minnesota so as snow builds up around the tub so does gunk. It may be more important to me than it is to you depending on your tubs environment.

A plywood bottom is better that no bottom. You are not putting the spa directly on the ground anyway. Most people will put the spa down on some form of substrate (concrete, patio stone, interlocking bricks) anyway.

Also, how many people pick up their spas in 15 years and say..... Oh that plywood looks a little 'funny'...unless they are replacing their spa. And then it doesn't really matter.

You do need some kind of floor to keep out rodents though.......

A plywood bottom is better that no bottom. You are not putting the spa directly on the ground anyway. Most people will put the spa down on some form of substrate (concrete, patio stone, interlocking bricks) anyway.

Also, how many people pick up their spas in 15 years and say..... Oh that plywood looks a little 'funny'...unless they are replacing their spa. And then it doesn't really matter.

You do need some kind of floor to keep out rodents though.......

Thank you to all for your comments and sorry for my delayed reply as I was traveling the last couple of days. We will be installing a pad under the Spa as your have recommended, although we have received different opinions on this as well. We planned on having a concrete pad poured but then one dealer did not recommend this and suggested brick pavers due to better drainage. At any rate we are scheduled to visit the HotSpring Spa dealer today for continued comparisons.

Who ever figured purchasing a Spa would get this involved? Anyway that you again to all on this forum, we would certainly have made a bad purchase without it!!