T-cell 15 Problems

My aquarite t15 has stopped generating? It is 4 years old 40 60 warranty left.

I cleaned it and had the salt check at the local pool shop 3400 - 3700 and water temp is 85.

My display reads fine for everything except salt level it reads 000??????

Anyone have any idea if the cell is bad or why it would shut down like this. :huh:

Thank you for any help

Is it possible to fix the cell if the cell is bad?

Can your local store check the cell? I am near a Leslie's and they have a test rig.

The cells do wear out over time but it sounds like something else is going on. What exactly does the salt display read: three zeros or are there really a bunch of question marks?

It sounds more like a warranty case with a problem in the controller.

My aquarite t15 has stopped generating? It is 4 years old 40 60 warranty left.

I cleaned it and had the salt check at the local pool shop 3400 - 3700 and water temp is 85.

My display reads fine for everything except salt level it reads 000??????

Anyone have any idea if the cell is bad or why it would shut down like this. :huh:

Thank you for any help

Is it possible to fix the cell if the cell is bad?

It is just zeros I called goldline and with all is said and done with the warranty it will cost 525 for the 3 yr replacement cell. I really wish there was some place I could test the cell or board with out paying for the 120 service call. Also the board reads the exact way with the cell unplugged.

Thanks for the feedback

Dang - sounds like the cell is in need of replacement - but still have it checked at the pool store if you can, or even exchange it with someone you know that has the same system.

How large is the pool? Do (did) you set the controller to 100% while the pump was running or was the setting lower? Higher setting will tend to wear out the cells faster.

My understanding of those cells is that they can wear out but they don't go straight to zero, and if they often did, there sure wouldn't be that much warranty left on them.

There are other things inside the cell besides just the plates and wiring that could be bad - have you unplugged it and inspected the connections on the cell? If the connection is bad, sometimes just unplugging and reconnecting will get things connected again.

If your display reads fine for everything that means water flow is there, just no generating light and salt at zero?

I know there are some reset codes floating around for that unit but I don't know what they are exactly. Maybe before or after the cleaning it "confused" and needs a hardware reset.

Dang - sounds like the cell is in need of replacement - but still have it checked at the pool store if you can, or even exchange it with someone you know that has the same system.

How large is the pool? Do (did) you set the controller to 100% while the pump was running or was the setting lower? Higher setting will tend to wear out the cells faster.

My understanding of those cells is that they can wear out but they don't go straight to zero, and if they often did, there sure wouldn't be that much warranty left on them.

There are other things inside the cell besides just the plates and wiring that could be bad - have you unplugged it and inspected the connections on the cell? If the connection is bad, sometimes just unplugging and reconnecting will get things connected again.

If your display reads fine for everything that means water flow is there, just no generating light and salt at zero?

I know there are some reset codes floating around for that unit but I don't know what they are exactly. Maybe before or after the cleaning it "confused" and needs a hardware reset.

Thanks for the info. I ended up going to my local pool shop and exchanged the cell. Final cost 523 for t15 with three year warranty. :o I have it plugged in and it is generating fine. I wish there was a way to fix these things. There must be a way to replace the cell sensor. Maybe they make them so they have to be replaced I do not know but if anyone knows how to fix one these cells please share I am sure I am not the only one.

On another note does anyone know of a good product that will help loosen or get white scale to come off. For some reason my pool has areas of bumps of white scale on the bottom and on the sides.

If anyone has found something that helps with this let me know. Thanks :D

The cells actually do wear out. There is a coating of very expensive metals on those plates inside there that keeps them working for as long as they do. Weaker metals would probably corrode away within within days or even hours but even the hardened coatings they use don't stand up for ever.

But I still think in your case there was something else in the cell that was bad - just plain broken, not worn out.

Either way you got to where you needed to be and even at ~$125 per year for me that is certainly worth the cost of constantly adding bleach, or lugging those bottles, staining my clothes, etc.

For the bumps of white scale I would recommend starting a new post for that one. That's one I haven't ran into in my brief time owning a pool.

The cells are built as they are due to many years of experience overcoming problems, most of which are not easily forseen. Often, components are built as they are to keep people from tinkering with them. While some folks would be very adept at repairing a cell, most are not. Lots of folks can't get batteries back into pool toys properly. There are obvious safety issues as well.

In your original post, you don't mention having cleaned the cell. If you're seeing the "white bumps" or scale building up in your pool, you probably had scale building up in the cell also. This can prevent the cell from operation properly in a variety of ways. Your owner's guide has instructions for rinsing the cell, and also for doing a mild "acid wash" on the cell to remove scale buildup. Proper cleaning can extend the life of the cell quite a bit.

Please help!!!

OK I bout the new cell last night. Had it running on super chlorinate all night. Then today went out to check and see what it was saying all OK

Then I switched it to auto and it came back with the check salt and check cell lights on?

Brand new cell works fine when super chlorinate and reads erros messages when aut is on.

Anyone ever seen something like this???

I haven't had mine long enough to see anything like that but I would certainly be on the phone to the manufacturer.

Did you ever check the connector where that the cell plugs into? Look for corrosion, it may not be getting a good enough contact.

And it is always possible you have a bad cell out of the box.

Also, from what I've read here I would recommend using bleach when you need to add a lot of chlorine fast. It works great as a sanitizer and isn't horribly expensive but it is bothersome to carry home and dump in the pool every few days (that\s why we have SWclGs). Using it as a shock or extra chlorine dose prevents the cell from having to work extra hard, over heat, wear out, etc.

Please help!!!

OK I bout the new cell last night. Had it running on super chlorinate all night. Then today went out to check and see what it was saying all OK

Then I switched it to auto and it came back with the check salt and check cell lights on?

Brand new cell works fine when super chlorinate and reads erros messages when aut is on.

Are these leds on solid or are they flashing?

Please help!!!

Are these leds on solid or are they flashing?

• 1 year later...

What else is in the cells. I took out all of the epoxy and the only thing their is 3 wire lugs where 4 wires connect. 2 of my wires are burned off and I don't know where they go. I can probably find out where the wires go by tracing back to the control board and find out what the function of each wire is. Water got into the epoxy and shorted out the wires and corroded the lugs real bad. Their is nothing wrong with the plates. If I can find out where the burned off wire go I can repair the cell.

• 10 months later...

There is a generic available but it will void your warranty with Hayward (the last two years aren't cost effective anyway).

<edited to removed advertising>

Most of the time these cells will fail prematurely due to the cyanuric acid level being too low or none existent. I strongly urge everyone to get your own test kit for this as the pool stores generally fib in hopes of selling you a new cell on down the road. I hope this helps answer some of your questions.