Draining

Midnite

Hi All,

We are about to get our new tub a Jacuzzi 480. We have determined that the way it is installed there are 2 ways to drain it...one would be to put a small pump in it and drain most of the water out, not all would come out and then refill. Or, hook a hose to the drain valve, hook the hose to a pump and really get the tub fully empty...any recommendations, we are in canada and expect to drain the thing about 3 times a year April, July and late October.

If thats not enough we have been wrestling with what Chemical to try first....Lithium or bromine...no ozonator ...yet

Thanks for everyones help and comments :rolleyes:

Hi All,

We are about to get our new tub a Jacuzzi 480. We have determined that the way it is installed there are 2 ways to drain it...one would be to put a small pump in it and drain most of the water out, not all would come out and then refill. Or, hook a hose to the drain valve, hook the hose to a pump and really get the tub fully empty...any recommendations, we are in canada and expect to drain the thing about 3 times a year April, July and late October.

If thats not enough we have been wrestling with what Chemical to try first....Lithium or bromine...no ozonator ...yet

Thanks for everyones help and comments :rolleyes:

I'm from Canada too! Before draining it can be good to put in a "rinse" product and let it circulate for several hours or overnight, running the jets periodically. Supposedly this cleans out the pipes and jets. All I do to drain it is hook a hose to the drain valve and open the valve - no pump required. It takes maybe 3 or 4 hours to drain my 1600L tub. Then I scrub it down with diluted bleach before refilling.

I have a little bitty hose drain on my spa that is difficult to get to, and takes hours to drain the 200 gallon tub. The last time I drained it, I used some 1 1/4" flexible plastic hose, filled it with water from the garden hose, to start the siphon. I stuck one end in the tub and tossed the other end on the ground, downslope of the spa. It was drained in about 15 minutes! I sucked the rest of the water out with a wet/dry vacuum cleaner. I have used a sump pump to drain my tub, but the large diameter siphon hose is just as fast and gets more water out before loosing suction.

I use Nitro's and Chemgeek's Dichlor-bleach method of maintaining my spa, it works great and is cheap!

Dave

My tub has a drain valve im not sure if it is blocked but I only get a slight trickle im sure it would take about 3 days to empty that way.

The best thing to do as Dave said is chuck 2/3/4 lengths of hose pipe in and syphon it out.

then I use a tub to scoop the last bits out and a towel to get the final dregs.

Thanks for all the input. :rolleyes:

I'm still somewhat unsure of the best solution since my tub will be lower than the route out to the street. Any hose will have to go up a lttle ways before it goes down. I am also unsure if I use a pump in the tub how much water will be left in a Jacuzzi 480 to vacuum or towel out, I imagine quite a bit ?

Since I am equally unsure about about which chemicals we will end up using I think my best bet will be to get a pump that can connect to the drain valve, that way I am pretty sure of a complete drain

Then again my first tub...what do I know :huh: