Boy I Have A Lot To Learn! Inline Chlorine Dispensers...

I haven't gotten any replies on my other questions, but I'll see if I can get any answers for this question! ^_^ (I think I asked too many questions at once! lol)

I had never heard of an inline (or offline?) chlorinator (for an above ground 21x41) until I saw something on another post here. Can anyone tell me how they are installed - a picture of one installed would be - well, worth 1,000 words!! :P

Oh dear Cherylandco, I'm sorry about the lack of response.

I am no expert, and I dont have an inline chlorinator, but I know about them. You would connect the chlorinator 'down stream' of your sand filter so that the filtered water is chlorinated as it is returned to the pool.

You will find an example of one here

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/Abo...nator~4268.html

But just put 'inline chlorinator' in your search engine to get lots of other examples and offers.

Another way to chlorinate your pools is with a chlorine dispenser that floats in your pool - you can see an example of one here

http://www.gardengames.co.uk/acatalog/Delu..._Dispenser.html

There are other ways to chlorinate but they are outside my experience so hopefully someone else will point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Cherylandco,

The pool I purchased is coming with the Frog inline chlorine system, here is a link to the site: http://www.kingtechnology.com/products/products-poolfrog.htm. I don't know much about it yet because it won't be installed until Saturday. I'll come back and post my expiriences with the unit later in the summer, as I get used to using it.

Inline chlors. are actually inline.

inlinechlor.jpg

Off line looks similar, but stands on the pad and uses 3/8 tubing connected to holes drilled into the plumbing at the appropriate spots (high press-low press),

Note: put the chlorinator down stream of the heater as well as the filter.

Inline chlorinator is a no-brainer.

We use a Hayward CL200 model and it easily adapted to our 1 1/2 inch PVC filtration system lines. We have tried both and prefer this one to the skinny model shown in earlier post picture.

The chlorinator is placed in-line as the final device that water passes through before it heads back to the pool. We STRONGLY recommend that when adding any in-line component that you use quick disconnect connectors instead of hard glueing into the PVC lines.

When the contractor first installed our filtration system like 20 years ago he permanantly glued/attached our pump, cartridge filter container (how can anyone stand to use sand??) and chlorinator into the system. 13 years later our chlorinator developed a crack and to replace it I had to cut the pvc to remove it and wisely used quick unscrew type disconnect adapters to install the new one. Did the same thing five years ago when our filter container started leaking it was easier to just cut it out of the pvc and buy a new one which I also installed with quick disconnect adapters. These adapters make replacing an in-line component a quick and easy proposition and they are very reliable and long lasting.

Having in-line chlorinator loaded with like 10 three inch tabs can make it nice if you plan to be gone for a few days and use a timer to run your filtration system for a few hours each day - the sanitizer is introduced into the water just as though you were there - some people don't trust having pump run while they are not there but we have done it a few time on short trips with no problems.

In-line chlorination is a winner.

One thing about an inline chlorinator though, you'll need to use chlorine tabs, and those add CYA to the water and drop the pH.

If you don't replace some of the water often enough (through rain or or a garden hose), you will end up with very high CYA, low pH and high TA, as well as requiring additional algae control chemicals (which means added cost).

Richard (Chem Geek) often recommends this Pool School at Troublefree Pool dot com and I can tell you it rescued me from a bunch of headaches the previous owners of my pool left me - I strongly recommend it (thanks again Richard and the contributors at TFP).

Most pool stores are chain outfits run by people trained to increase profits but not necessary very knowledgeable about pool chemistry other than what the company video training tapes have taught them. But still be nice to them. They do perform free testing on the water, and they have other stuff that you may need.