Painting Pool

I have a pool that is only four years old. The pool was put in July,2005. The house was destroyed and the pool was filled with crap August, 2005. It was only used for 2 weeks before it was filled with crap. We cleaned the pool out, replaced the pump, filled it with water, and it has been operational again for the last three years. The new pool pump went out just recently and algae started growing on the pool. We decided to drain the pool and make it look brand new again. We drained the pool and pressure washed the sides. Now we are at the point where we are wondering what to do next. The entire pool is stained and the stains don't come off with anything (chlorine, acids, etc.). I decided to paint the pool instead of re-doing the gunnite. I purchased a rubber based white paint, but the directions are driving me crazy. According to the directions on how to paint a pool:

I have to clean the pool with a cleaner to free suntan oils that might be on the Pool (sun tan oils and sunscreen never touched the water in our 2 weeks of use).

I have to use acid to etch the surface and rinse off acid.

Wait 7 days for the pool to completely dry.

Paint pool with primer.

Wait 1 day for the primer to dry

Paint pool

Wait 7 days for the paint to dry

Is all of this completely necessary? I don't have a problem waiting 7 days for the paint to dry before filling it, but the rest is aggravating.

It might take a month before we have 7 days with no rain.

Does it really take seven days to dry in 80-90 degree weather?

Do I need to use a cleaner on the entire pool since sun tan oil and sunscreen have never touched the water?

I'm sure you'll hear other opinions, but I don't like painting concrete pools. I've never seen a paint job that lasts more than a couple of years without "chalking" and rapid deterioration. Chalking is when you brush the walls & floor of the pool & a chalky residue comes off & the pool looks like you filled it with milk. There are other paints available, rubber base being the least expensive. Many people find it well worth the additional expense of a replaster, because, maintained properly, it can last 10+ years. Remember, you WILL get what you pay for!

The instructions MUST be followed or you've wasted all the time, money and effort, which will be substantial. The instructions are specific for a reason, not just to cause you trouble. They are the ONLY way to get the best finish & lifespan.

Yes, use the cleaner on the whole surface. The oils are there, even though you may not have used suntan oil. Every thing that gets into the pool, even people & especially pets, leaves, frogs, etc. have oils that are natural.

If the pool isn't dry when you paint, your paint won't adhere & cure properly.

If you fill the pool before the paint is dry, you've wasted all your time & money. If the pool surface isn't completely dry when you start painting, the paint won't adhere.

If you choose to go with the paint, please follow the instructions carefully, or you will be very dissatisfied with your decision.

Pool paint used to be lead based and last for awhile. Lead has been outlawed, so the new paints usually only last a couple of years. That means that the cost up front for painting might be attractive but the draining, refilling, aggravation and costs every couple of years is something to consider. If the pool is plastered, painting over it will cost big bucks later to replaster.

I have seen people buy a house with a pool where the plaster was painted over. The previous owner just wanted a quick fix to dress up the pool for showing (and hiding the bad plaster). The new owner wished they had just left it the way it was and explained the situation. I have also seen homeowners that painted over the plaster just buy themselves some time before replastering was in their budget. Imagine the surprise when they realized how much money they just cost themselves by trying to save money?

Just some things to consider.

http://buyingaswimmingpool.blogspot.com

This is the main reason that we won't paint and will try to talk people out of doing this. Even if its done right, It won't last as long as plaster (if it's treated properly).

Note: in the event you do it right, you still may have a delamination which will leave your pool in an even worse condition if you decide to plaster cuz it will all have to come out (extra prep cost). Is fiberglass an option in your area?

Pool paint link above is broken.

Just a beginners question- Would it be possible to put a vinyl liner in on top of the plaster or whatever surface is there? A surface that has to be replaced every ten years buts costs a lot to do doesn't seem much better than a normal vinyl lliner pool. They also have to be replaced but they don't cost that much.