Another Insulation Query

spababe

I'm a complete newbie to hot tubs, and so know very little, but am also interested in extra insulation inside cabinet. However my wooden cabinet has a small vented louvre area on three sides, I suppose to allow airflow to pumps. Would insulating the remaining area be a waste of time, bearing in mind cold air can flow through the louvres. {I do have thick sprayed foam on the tub thank goodness}

I'm a complete newbie to hot tubs, and so know very little, but am also interested in extra insulation inside cabinet. However my wooden cabinet has a small vented louvre area on three sides, I suppose to allow airflow to pumps. Would insulating the remaining area be a waste of time, bearing in mind cold air can flow through the louvres. {I do have thick sprayed foam on the tub thank goodness}

It sounds like the louvres are intentionally provided by the hot tub manufacturer for ventilation. Since you apparently have a 'full foam' type of insulation, if you plug up the louvres you would block off the cooling for your pump motors. The pump motors I have seen are usually about 1 or 2 hp so they generate a lot of heat and that heat needs to be removed or they overheat and fail.

I did something like this with my hot tub and I was a little worried about the pumps overheating but my tub has a different type of insulation method in which the pump cabinet thermally encloses both the pumps and the hot tub shell. This means that the relatively large thermal mass of the water in the tub moderates the air temperature in the cabinet so that the pumps can't overheat as long as the water temperature remains constant because the heat thrown off by the pump motors is absorbed by the water in the shell. In your tub, though, the foam thermal barrier would prevent that from happening.

Bottom line is that I don't think you should plug up those louvres.

It sounds like the louvres are intentionally provided by the hot tub manufacturer for ventilation. Since you apparently have a 'full foam' type of insulation, if you plug up the louvres you would block off the cooling for your pump motors. The pump motors I have seen are usually about 1 or 2 hp so they generate a lot of heat and that heat needs to be removed or they overheat and fail.

I did something like this with my hot tub and I was a little worried about the pumps overheating but my tub has a different type of insulation method in which the pump cabinet thermally encloses both the pumps and the hot tub shell. This means that the relatively large thermal mass of the water in the tub moderates the air temperature in the cabinet so that the pumps can't overheat as long as the water temperature remains constant because the heat thrown off by the pump motors is absorbed by the water in the shell. In your tub, though, the foam thermal barrier would prevent that from happening.

Bottom line is that I don't think you should plug up those louvres.

Thankyou very much for the reply, I take on board your advice and understand what you say, I will leave the louvres open to be on the safe side. :)

Thankyou very much for the reply, I take on board your advice and understand what you say, I will leave the louvres open to be on the safe side. :)

Spa babe, what brand/.model/ year tub do you have? How has your tyb performed in past cold conditions?

Spa babe, what brand/.model/ year tub do you have? How has your tyb performed in past cold conditions?

Ah! thats the big question! I have just bought the spa ..it's brand new and is imported from America into England...I know nothing about hot tubs, but learning alot from these forums. It has no make, brand or model on it. But I hope it comes good. 2.1mtrs square, hold 260 english galls. 5kw heater, 3x1.500watt pumps & all the other widgets you could ask for, I only got it a couple of months ago on EBAY, on a whim (himself says I must have been drunk] .. himself can't stand water ...I managed to get it home on a borrowed trailer and with the help of some kind friends, unload it,and shove it into position on the patio ....got an electrician to wire it in..three core armoured cable under ground to tub, isolater switch and all that.... I then filled it up and popped in Aquafinesse..a new Scandinavian product, which has no cholrine or brom. in it, you just put a measured amount in each week, no testing of anything, and hey, so far its working. Saw that on Ebay as well! Not cheap mind you, but what the heck! {I'm no chemist and can't cope with ph's or whatever you call them!} I then pressed HEAT on the control panel and 4hrs later climbed in. {I still haven't fathomed out the darn controls.} Had all the pumps running at first, it was like a cauldron, nearly drowned myself!... LOL.. Now all I have to do is clean out the filter each week, pop it back with a special tablet in the dispenser basket in with the filter, then add another cup of magic!

Now so far.....I emphasize so far....everything is fine.....clear soft hot water, my skin has never been so soft..... heaven ... I've always dreamed of owning a spa and now my dream has come true...I sit in it alone each night just looking at the stars..............thinking......