Switch To Bromine To Solve Cya Problem?

mark6437

I went to pool store today, Warehouse Pools. this is what I was told about Bromine:

It is twice as expensive as Chlorine

But you use half the amount as Chlorine so the price equals out

I have to make sure I have zero chlorine before I switch.

I can keep my chlorinator on 1/2 instead of 1 or 2 like chlorine tabs

Is this something I should consider? Long story short I have to drain my pool every 3-4 months because my CYA goes to 100 or above. I do not have an over flow protection so water is not being expelled on a regular basis and I have a cartridge filter, not DE so it dosnt get backwashed. 14,000 gallons in ground.

Should I switch?

Thx

Mark

If the pool is exposed to sunlight, you will actually use MORE bromine than you would chlorine, not less. This is because bromine breaks down in sunlight but does not bind to CYA so is not as protected by it. I don't know why they say you use half as much bromine as chlorine. It is true that chlorine without any CYA will break down more quickly in sunlight than bromine, but with CYA in the water protecting chlorine, there is less chlorine loss from sunlight than bromine loss from sunlight.

Also, bromine tablets contain DMH and that's a chemical that will build up as well, though may not cause as many problems as high CYA.

Ugh...........I am just gunna fill it with dirt. :angry:

Mark,

You CAN certainly use Trichlor tabs and not get algae if you use an algaecide weekly or a phosphate remover (at extra cost) and periodically dilute the water. You don't have to do full drain/refill. This is what most people with Trichlor tabs do. Basically, you just simulate what others do that backwash filters and use winter rains to overflow/dilute the water.

Another very popular alternative is to get a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG), though obviously that has up-front capital cost.

Or you can just add chlorinating liquid (or bleach) regularly -- less frequently (say, twice a week) if you get a pool cover. That's what I do and I also have a cartridge filter (though I use winter rains to dilute at least some anyway, just because it's free water and it keeps the salt level lower).

Or you can try automating chlorine dosing with The Liquidator or a peristaltic pump.

Or you CAN turn the pool into a bromine pool, but it will be more expensive, not less expensive. I wouldn't worry so much about the DMH buildup as it's not the same as CYA.

What is it that bothers you the most about just using chlorinating liquid or bleach? If it's the more frequent dosing, then 1) if you use the pool regularly, then dosing every couple of days shouldn't be a big deal or 2) if you don't use the pool that often, then you can use a pool cover so you only have to add chlorine twice a week or maybe even once a week if you don't mind larger chlorine swings.

Richard

What I am worried about with LC is that I wont know exactly how much to add everyother day and I will add too little or too much. Also I will have to test my water virtually everyday.

I have heard some bad stuff about SWG. Mainly that the cells stop working in the winter so you have to switch to tabs.

And that the cells go out every 5 years or so and very expensive to replace.

I guess what I am gunna do is just drain about 3 to 4 inches from my pool once a month and not worry anymore what the CYA level is at. This is probably the easiest and cheapest solution.

Richard I really do appreciate all your help. You should get a salary for what you do on here!

Mark