Spa Motor Shuts Off

Hi Everyone,

I am new to site and have just registered after lurking for a while. Great info

I have a 2001 liesure Bay spa S-2. The spa was a gift to me for some work I did for a friend. So far replaced the impeller and seals installed new flow through 4kw heater element thanks to a great post by an individual on this forum great pictures and very simple. Had a burnt heater relay so sent the board to Spa board repair and had better relays installed. 40 amp. All due to the great info i received from this site. Now my problem. Spa heats great low speed is fine high speed only comes on for 30 seconds and shuts off.try to get high speed back on but no joy.

Have to wait a cpl min then does the same. Also transformer buzzes after 45 min or so.

So I guess my motor is heating up but i always get low speed constant but no high speed constant. Could transformer have something to do with it.

Thanks in anticipation , chris

• 4 months later...
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 liesure Bay spa S-2. The spa was a gift to me for some work I did for a friend. So far replaced the impeller and seals installed new flow through 4kw heater element thanks to a great post by an individual on this forum great pictures and very simple. Had a burnt heater relay so sent the board to Spa board repair and had better relays installed. 40 amp. All due to the great info i received from this site. Now my problem. Spa heats great low speed is fine high speed only comes on for 30 seconds and shuts off.try to get high speed back on but no joy.

Have to wait a cpl min then does the same. Also transformer buzzes after 45 min or so.

So I guess my motor is heating up but i always get low speed constant but no high speed constant. Could transformer have something to do with it.

Hey Chris,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having the same promblem. Any advice?

thanks,

Eric

Hi Everyone,

Hey Chris,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having the same promblem. Any advice?

thanks,

Eric

Hey Eric,

I sorta kinda fixed it.

Turns out its probably the thermal overload in the motor itself. I will have to bite the bullet soon for a new motor. In the meantime I replaced the 3 hp impeller with a 2 hp impeller and took some of the load off. For the size of the tub it still works pretty good. I now get 2 speeds and its not shutting off. I feel that its only a temporary fix but sometimes these things can last a long time.

Chris

Hi Everyone,

Hey Chris,

thanks,

Eric

Hey Eric,

I sorta kinda fixed it.

Turns out its probably the thermal overload in the motor itself. I will have to bite the bullet soon for a new motor. In the meantime I replaced the 3 hp impeller with a 2 hp impeller and took some of the load off. For the size of the tub it still works pretty good. I now get 2 speeds and its not shutting off. I feel that its only a temporary fix but sometimes these things can last a long time.

Chris

THanks Chris