Hot Spring Vanguard Vs. Vista

jbrown84

I'm just starting the process of purchasing a new hot tub, and have been going thru some old posts on this site. It seems like the HS Vanguard is a well regarded unit. I noted that it's height is 36", vs. 38" for several other (larger) HS models such as the Vista, Envoy and Grandee. I'm in CT, and plan on using the unit year round, and am worried about cold shoulders.

Any experience with any of these models, and recommendations, would be appreciated.

I'm just starting the process of purchasing a new hot tub, and have been going thru some old posts on this site. It seems like the HS Vanguard is a well regarded unit. I noted that it's height is 36", vs. 38" for several other (larger) HS models such as the Vista, Envoy and Grandee. I'm in CT, and plan on using the unit year round, and am worried about cold shoulders.

Any experience with any of these models, and recommendations, would be appreciated.

For most a 36" spa will keep your shoulders under water but some people are tall, some have long torsos, etc. Hot Spring is a very good brand but with all it is best to wet test (especially when considering a lounge spa) and at a minimum get in it dry.

Thanks.

Any thoughts on the Caldera Niagra vs. the Hot Springs Vanguard or Vista?

First of all, you need to decide whether you want a lounge or not. Go with one if that's your desire but if you're indifferent or even torn between having one or not, I'd go without. Many love lounges but they're for people who specifcially want them as they don't fit everyone and take up considerable space.

All of those spa models are good options so besides testing it go with your gut on the spa and the dealer.

For most a 36" spa will keep your shoulders under water but some people are tall, some have long torsos, etc. spring is a very good brand but with all it is best to wet test (especially when considering a lounge spa) and at a minimum get in it dry.

Hi, I have a Vanguard and I am 6'4" and have no problems with cold shoulders at all, especially in the 2 corner Moto massage seats, which are actually semi recliners.....

The other 3 seats are more upright and if you sit straight up right, your shoulders are exposed, (but not anymore than any other tub). Because of the ease of stretching your legs out and the buoyancy of your body, you will find it is very comfortable to stretch out in these seats, too. The bottom jet of the rotary seat works wonderful as a foot massager when you stretch out in the soothing seven seat (which I feel are too weak, though). Be careful, if you have any shorter users, they may have a problem with a deeper tub. My wife is 5'3" and uses a booster seat in the moto massage seats....

I have answered a ton of questions and given alot of info (not all is perfect!) on this site regarding a VG. Do a search on my user ID, and read these. I think it will tell you all you want to know. But, this is my opinion, what I like you may not.

BTW, Spatech gives good advice (as usual!) about the lounger. I originally thought I wanted one, too, but am glad I didn't now. My friends that have loungers, say they will not get them in their next tub, either. Also, watch those diverters when you wet test, they can be a real issue if you are not aware, stealing jets from one seat when you want to use both at once. That was the issue that steered me away from the Envoy and towards the VG (can't run the Moto massage in the Envoy lounger and the other main seat, (the recliner) at the same time).

Wet test!

Thanks,

Randy

My wife and I wet tested the Vanguard, and we love it. I am 6 foot even, and I had no problems with cold shoulders. I highly recommend wet testing the Vanguard. Once you get a taste of those moto-massage seats, you won't be able to pick out a Hot Spring spa without it. They really are a must, at least for me.

My wife and I wet tested the Vanguard, and we love it. I am 6 foot even, and I had no problems with cold shoulders. I highly recommend wet testing the Vanguard. Once you get a taste of those moto-massage seats, you won't be able to pick out a Hot Spring spa without it. They really are a must, at least for me.

As you've experienced, a wet test always helps you decide whether a certain spa is right for you. You can only determine so much from sitting in it dry.

That was the issue that steered me away from the Envoy and towards the VG (can't run the Moto massage in the Envoy lounger and the other main seat, (the recliner) at the same time).

Wet test!

Thanks,

Randy

Hi, Randy,

I respect your choice of the Vanguard, but it's incorrect to say that the Moto Massage won't run in the Envoy lounger and the other main reclining seat at the same time. I have the Envoy, and the Moto Massage jet runs continuously -- irrespective of what other jets are running. So you can definitely use the recliner simultaneously with the lounger in the Envoy.

It's true that some of the other jets don't run at the same time (foot jets, e.g.), but the Moto Massage always runs. You can't get the FULL benefit of both seats simultaneously -- neck jets in the lounger at the same time as foot jets in the recliner, for example -- but the main jets in both seats can certainly run at the same time.

Raeven

That was the issue that steered me away from the Envoy and towards the VG (can't run the Moto massage in the Envoy lounger and the other main seat, (the recliner) at the same time).

Wet test!

Thanks,

Randy

Hi, Randy,

I respect your choice of the Vanguard, but it's incorrect to say that the Moto Massage won't run in the Envoy lounger and the other main reclining seat at the same time. I have the Envoy, and the Moto Massage jet runs continuously -- irrespective of what other jets are running. So you can definitely use the recliner simultaneously with the lounger in the Envoy.

It's true that some of the other jets don't run at the same time (foot jets, e.g.), but the Moto Massage always runs. You can't get the FULL benefit of both seats simultaneously -- neck jets in the lounger at the same time as foot jets in the recliner, for example -- but the main jets in both seats can certainly run at the same time.

Raeven

Sorry, I may be wrong, but I just remember when wet testing, as I was in the lounger enjoying the moto massage, my son moved over to the recliner seat, when he turned the diverter on to turn on that seat, my moto massage turned off. But I just looked up this up in my 08 Owner's manual, and it does not show it that way at all, so maybe they have changed it since then. We both remember it being that way on the tub we tested though....hmmm . Sorry if I misinformed anyone. :wacko:

My point was, to make sure when wet testing to try every seat and every combination he can, do make sure he is able to use the seats as he would like. No offense intended.

Randy

Wet test!

Thanks,

Randy

Hi, Randy,

Raeven

Sorry, I may be wrong, but I just remember when wet testing, as I was in the lounger enjoying the moto massage, my son moved over to the recliner seat, when he turned the diverter on to turn on that seat, my moto massage turned off. But I just looked up this up in my 08 Owner's manual, and it does not show it that way at all, so maybe they have changed it since then. We both remember it being that way on the tub we tested though....hmmm . Sorry if I misinformed anyone. :wacko:

My point was, to make sure when wet testing to try every seat and every combination he can, do make sure he is able to use the seats as he would like. No offense intended.

Randy

Randy, I had the exact same experience as you when wet testing the Vista. Dealer had no solution to offer.