Newbie From Uk Needs Help - Small Itchy Spots

PHEZ8050

I purchased a new Sundance Denali tub in Oct 08, after a couple of months my wife got an itchy rash but I didn't. We were using Bromine so we drained the tub and refilled and started using AquaBlanc 02 as a sanitiser.

We have refilled the hot tub twice since it's installation. The second fill was needed because our dealer checked our water for us and said the Undisolved Solids were "off the scale".

Although my wife no longer has the itchy rash I am now getting small itchy red spots about 2-3mm across, mainly on the arms although a couple on my legs and back.

Even if I do not go into the tub for a day they still itch. When I get in the tub the areas that itch seem to tingle and feel irritated.

We have religiously kept the tub sanitised within the prescribed range and shock once a week and clean the filter by rinsing with a hose also once a week. The only issue we did have was trouble in balancing the TA and PH.

We have since purchased the Aquacheck meter and now use this to check TA and PH and are managing to keep these within range without excess use of PH+ and PH-.

Do any experts think I need to decontaminate the hot tub. If so, what chemicals are easily available in the UK for help with this?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Aquablanc O2 Oxygen tablets are not a sanitizer, but an oxidizer similar to traditional non-chlorine shock (MPS). It's actually the more irritating minor component found in MPS (it's persulfate, not monopersulfate). If used at hot spa temperatures with metal ions, specifically silver ions, then it can be a powerful sanitizer, but used by itself without metal ions it may not be able to kill the bacteria that causes hot tub itch.

I would decontaminate the tub and if you want to continue to use only a non-chlorine shock, either MPS or Aquablanc, then I'd suggest getting a Nature2 or similar silver ion system. Otherwise, you could use chlorine via Nitro's Approach to Water Maintenance.

Aquablanc O2 Oxygen tablets are not a sanitizer, but an oxidizer similar to traditional non-chlorine shock (MPS). It's actually the more irritating minor component found in MPS (it's persulfate, not monopersulfate). If used at hot spa temperatures with metal ions, specifically silver ions, then it can be a powerful sanitizer, but used by itself without metal ions it may not be able to kill the bacteria that causes hot tub itch.

I would decontaminate the tub and if you want to continue to use only a non-chlorine shock, either MPS or Aquablanc, then I'd suggest getting a Nature2 or similar silver ion system. Otherwise, you could use chlorine via Nitro's Approach to Water Maintenance.

Thanks but I do not understand your comments.

I use Aquablanc 02 tablets daily and Aquablanc Liquid weekly and these were sold to me as an alternative santiser to Bromine as we thought my wife was alergic to Bromine.

Should also have mentioned the tub has an ozonator fitted, if that makes any difference.

So are you saying that the Aquablanc system is not a replacement for Bromine or Chlorine? And that we should either use Chlorine or Bromine to sanitise the tub?

We still use a chlorine shock once a week.

Your wife's rash could have been a number of things, such as a sensitivity to Bromine, water out of balance or a bacteria infection caused by not using enough sanitizer. My guess is that it was one of the first two.

However, you made a mistake by switching to AquaBlanc. As Chem geek said, AquaBlanc is just an oxidizer, not a sanitizer. That means it doesn't kill bacteria. According to a website they say it's an alternative to Chlorine/Bromine. IMPORTANT: Anytime someone says they have an alternative to Chlorine/Bromine, be VERY WARY. There is no good alternative to using Chlorine or Bromine, period.

As Chem geek mentions, you can use the Nature2 system. However, even N2 requires chlorine, albeit a lower amount. But if you have more than a couple people soaking at a time, you may have to use more chlorine than they recommend.

Since you switched to only AquaBlanc, your tub (and you) has probably acquired a bacterial infection. I would Decontaminate, and switch to Chlorine. If it's mostly just you and your wife using the tub, you can try Nature2. But if you have quests (or kids), just use more chlorine during that time. If you want to be totally safe, then try using the approach in my signature line. You should read it anyway.

So are you saying that the Aquablanc system is not a replacement for Bromine or Chlorine? And that we should either use Chlorine or Bromine to sanitise the tub?

Yes and Yes.

We still use a chlorine shock once a week.

Shocking once a week is not enough to keep your tub sanitized, unless you are using a Metal Ion system such as Nature2, and don't have many people soaking.

Thanks for the advice.

Seems I have a lot to learn!

As the wife seems to be alergic to Bromine, after 2 month's use, looks like we will have to use Chlorine as a sanitiser.

Plus a lot of work to get the hot tub perfectly clear of bacteria.

Looking at your decontanination paper what is "Add 50 ppm FC using Regular Clorox 6% Unscented Bleach." Is this just a standard household bleach?

Sorry for so many questions but new to this and hoped things would be a lot simpler.

As Chem geek mentions, you can use the Nature2 system. However, even N2 requires chlorine, albeit a lower amount. But if you have more than a couple people soaking at a time, you may have to use more chlorine than they recommend.

I was thinking of the N2+MPS method where chlorine is only used "as needed" for shocking, but most of the time you are using non-chlorine shock (MPS).

Looking at your decontanination paper what is "Add 50 ppm FC using Regular Clorox 6% Unscented Bleach." Is this just a standard household bleach?

Yes, that's standard household bleach except some bleach is very weak so the 6% refers to Clorox Regular or off-brand Ultra bleaches (unscented).

Thanks for the advice.

That's what we're here for. :)

Seems I have a lot to learn!

Yes, but once you learn it, it becomes very easy. And best of all, you'll never have water problems.

As the wife seems to be alergic to Bromine, after 2 month's use, looks like we will have to use Chlorine as a sanitiser.

That could be the case, or it could be a matter of your pH being too far off. Either way, Chlorine is an excellent sanitizer, and if maintained correctly, you should have no issues.

Plus a lot of work to get the hot tub perfectly clear of bacteria.

It's actually not too bad, I've now done three. The good news is you should never have to do it again.

Yes, here in the US, Clorox brand is the best to use. I'm not sure the equivilent in the UK, assuming you dont have Clorox. Just make sure it's unscented 6%.

Sorry for so many questions but new to this and hoped things would be a lot simpler.

There are a LOT of people that think owning a hot tub is no big deal, requiring very little work. Unfortunatly a lot of dealers lead people to believe that. If every new owner knew what's involved in maintaining a hot tub, most of them wouldn't bother. Think of a hot tub as being a pet. As I said, the good news is, once you learn how to maintain it, it becomes a lot easier.

• 1 year later...

We have the same problem with my wife being allergic to Bromine. I now found out she is also allergic (rash and itching) to Diclor.

I have bought Aquablanc and in addition to that shock the tub with unscented bleach (<5% chlorine, Tesco, UK) after every use. Next day I try to have the chlorine to near zero... I still have to figure out how much bleach to use (without an initial dose of dichlor).

Any tips to keep this system safe?

PS. We always keep pH, Alk, CH in range, have an ozonator and if we have a party we empty the tub afterwards to water the garden.

PSS. We travel a lot and are generally at home for 2 weeks and then away for 3 weeks and everytime we shut off the tub and empty it. Enzymes would be a bit expensive for this setup...