Pool Builders In Lehigh Valley, Pa

• 2 weeks later...
Can anymore suggest a Pool Builder in the Lehigh Valley?

I don't know if you are still in the market but i can say Key West Pools did a great job on my pool. I am so satisfied with my pool I cannot complain about one thing! They did exactly what I expected of them. I am one of those people who over researches everything who will talk to fifty different companies before I finally decided what I want and I am SOO glad I chose them. If you are still interested their website is www.keywestpoolsinc.com Hope this helps!

When we started our quest we wanted Barry Bartakovits to build for us. We had a B&B pool at our last house and Barry had recently left, supposedly as the "brains" behind the operation.

As we talked with contractors in the area, we found out Barry was anything but the brains...he pretty much ripped off B&B and stole their design, methods and customers. We still had him come out and give us a bid, which was competitive...but Barry was not the type I would work well with. There were no options given on anything...the way he builds is the way he builds and the customer who wants something different is nothing but a PITA. Barry was off the list.

We had Sylvan come out, and could not deal with the used car sales tactics they employed, plus their fair to middling BBB rating was no help. We looked at others, and never really got a good vibe from any. A friend of mine is using Blue Haven, who pretty much tossed an estimate at them, came the day of ground breaking to collect their first payment and have not been back since to watch progress of their subcons. The owners are in the dark.

As we did more research, we realized pool builders make a hefty penny giving you a safe estimate that can absorb changes or issues. Yes, you do know ultimately what your final price will be (though each contractor could hit an unforseen problem which could get passed on to you), but you pay for that "safety". This is fine of course, they are a business and for most people provide an excellent service.

However, we ultimately decided to design and build ourself and save a mess of money (though we may have lost years off of our life due to the stress involved). If you are good at research and working with contractors, I'd say go for it on your own. We're saving $15,000+ going this route.

That's not to say we have not had issues...look at my other posts on this board...but I still feel the flexibility and point by point negotiations possible with an owner/build outweigh the problems.

Here's my list of the "good guys" in terms of individual subcons...

Excavation: Eddie Moore Excavating

Shell: Pioneer Shotcrete (get name of rebar and plumbing contractors from Bernie at Pioneer)

Tile/coping/masonry: Bello's Coping and Tile

Decking: Yanes Concrete

Plaster: Jose Coronado

It is important to do your homework with builders. Especially right now. Make sure to interview several builders. Ask your neighbors who built their pool, how it went and for any recommendations.

A warranty is only as good as it is worded and only as good as the company standing behind it.

Here is some info to help:

http://buyingaswimmingpool.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

I had to edit my post above that had stated B&B was out of business...they are still in business and doing well...I only thought they were defunct because their website wasn't working. Guess why? Barry Bartokovits...while emplyed by B&B, took over the website as a "favor"...and now years after his departure holds it captive, refusing to give the domain back to its rightful owners. They were forced to buy a new domain, which Google tgends to pas over in favor of the old. He renews it every year and lets it sit empty, making B&B look closed down.

I have dealt with Ellen and Don Brown from B&B for years, and Ellen still holds down shop after Don's death. She's an astoundingly sweet woman and her employees are knowledgeable and very professional. I talked with her for a half hour the other day and am so happy to hear they are still around.

If you are looking to get a pool anywhere around the lehigh vally...PLEASE make sure B&B is on your list. Even though I am happy with my owner built pool, I completely regret not getting at least a bid from B&B.

B&B Pool Design and Construction, LLC

As for Barry...well, I think I've made my point there. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

In reply to muppetfoot. I created the website for Barry Bartakovits Custom Pools and I can assure you that Barry did and does not have ownership of B&B's domain. The guy who originally created B&B's website has ownership. He had also registered a domain for Barry and we had the same problem with our domain. We do not renew B&B's domain. Most likely the guy who created the site is renewing it. While Barry was employed at B&B, I had updated the website on several occasions. Before you make accusations, please be sure your information is correct. B&B has never contacted us in regard to their domain. I don't know where you got the information, but it is incorrect.

Please note that when you signed up for this forum you agreed to the following: "You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate..."

• 2 weeks later...
Please note that when you signed up for this forum you agreed to the following: "You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate..."

I did some digging and found the registrar of the site. I'll back off my initial accusation that Barry himself is renewing the registration...but according to the information I have gotten, BnB is unable to regain their old domain because of how Barry set things up under his name while he was there, and he offers no solution to get the domain back. Could be punitive or Barry could just be clueless. I offer no opinion on that, but the situation certainly works to his advantage and supports the "I was BnB Pools" assertion he tells customers.

As for your quote above...I posted nothing knowingly false, defamitory or inaccurate. I posted something I felt was backed by a good source, and I still stand by the intended message: There are a bunch of good alternatives to Barry out there.

• 3 years later...

I know this is a crazy old thread, but it appears high on google when you search for local pool builders, , so I wanted to post a quick clarification because I know Barry Bartakovits from B&B pools in hellertown isn't on this forum.

B&B pools is a competitor to Monogram Custom Pools, but I know Barry Bartakovits and he is a good guy and builds a good pool. He did work for b&b pools for many years as their main salesman, but then he went out on his own and started Barry Bartakovits pools. Years later, he ended up purchasing b&b pools...so he now owns both companies. Every once in a while we compete for the same customer, and he has been an honest competitor and doesn't resort to some of the high pressure sales tactics used by the "big guys."

Just a quick clarification in case anybody reads this old thread. (ps...barry...if you read this, you owe me a beer!)

tony c

www.monogramcustompools.com