Hot Spring Aux Control (inside Tub) Not Working...

Flot

Hi all, just picked up a used Hot Spring Sovereign. (2006-07) Everything seems to be working great except the aux control panel (light/jets) mounted inside the tub. Buttons don't have much play to them and no amount of mashing is making anything happen.

I haven't opened up the cabinet yet but can anyone give me the brief rundown of how that panel works? Is it just switches wired back to the main panel or ? How do I remove it from the shell, just pry upward?

Also, I hate to ask - I had heard the hot springs were "foam filled" but until I lifted it up and looked underneath I didn't know they meant that literally, top to bottom. How bad are these to work on long term? Can most things be accessed from the topside?

Hi all, just picked up a used Hot Spring Sovereign. (2006-07) Everything seems to be working great except the aux control panel (light/jets) mounted inside the tub. Buttons don't have much play to them and no amount of mashing is making anything happen.

I haven't opened up the cabinet yet but can anyone give me the brief rundown of how that panel works? Is it just switches wired back to the main panel or ? How do I remove it from the shell, just pry upward?

Also, I hate to ask - I had heard the hot springs were "foam filled" but until I lifted it up and looked underneath I didn't know they meant that literally, top to bottom. How bad are these to work on long term? Can most things be accessed from the topside?

The Aux pad is connected to the main control box by phone cable which is housed in conduit.

To replace the aux pad, you need to:

1. kill power

2. Open up the IQ2020 control box that all of the wires go into. The Aux pad plugs into the upper right corner with a phone line type connector.

3. Unplug the phone line and tie some thin string (masonary line works the best) around it.

4. Use a screwdriver to pry up on the old pad, it should come up pretty easily.

5. Now comes the part that may be easy or can be quite hard. You need to pull all of the phone cord out towards the pad end until you get to the string that you attached to the end. It may help to have two people...one feeding the cord into the conduit and one gently pulling from the pad end.

Sometimes the cord comes right out, other times it is difficult and you need to be careful not to break the phone cord. If it becomes tough, don't pull so hard that the phone cord starts to stretch, because it will break. Try short little 'jerks' while the other person is feeding it through.

6. Once you get to the end where your string is connected, you connect the string to the end of the new aux pad end and pull it back through and reconnect. Then use some silicone to seal the new pad in.

Sometimes the cord comes right out, other times it is difficult and you need to be careful not to break the phone cord. If it becomes tough, don't pull so hard that the phone cord starts to stretch, because it will break. Try short little 'jerks' while the other person is feeding it through.

6. Once you get to the end where your string is connected, you connect the string to the end of the new aux pad end and pull it back through and reconnect. Then use some silicone to seal the new pad in.

Got it, thanks Dan. I'm used to fishing wire. I don't suppose there's a wiring diagram online anywhere for this kind of stuff on the hot spring models?

I presume before I go through all of this I should be able to pull the phone cable out of the IQ and try some basic continuity checks to make sure the switches themselves (all 3? is this common?) have actually failed.

Got it, thanks Dan. I'm used to fishing wire. I don't suppose there's a wiring diagram online anywhere for this kind of stuff on the hot spring models?

I presume before I go through all of this I should be able to pull the phone cable out of the IQ and try some basic continuity checks to make sure the switches themselves (all 3? is this common?) have actually failed.

A wiring diagram for the electrical? ...or a plumbing diagram? There is nothing specifically for the Aux pad.

The pad that you have is garbage, there is a new design that is much better. On the old ones water would get through the buttons and destroy the electronics.

Hi, Flot,

I just changed one of these out on my Envoy -- with some help from a few folks here on the board <giving Dan a wink>.... I'm a not-very-handy female whose facility with DIY is pretty limited. It took me about 45 minutes to change out the panel, and most of my time was spent wrangling with the front panel on the spa that covers up all the guts inside. Trying to hold that sucker up while I was screwing it to the spa exterior gave me fits. Changing out the auxiliary panel was easy-peasy.

Trust me; you'll have no trouble with this!

All the best, Raeven