Any Thoughts To Help Me Out With This Decision?

andyj

So I'm at a crossroads. I have always wanted a tub, large enough that I can enjoy many different seats and one that my twin sister and family can help me enjoy. My job is physical (firefighter) and the thought of a daily soak has been a dream for a while now. I currently am doing a huge remodel on my house and am down to framing, electrical, sheetrock etc. of the basement from an unfinished to a finished product with a few bedrooms, bath, etc.. Realistically I should wait to get a tub until I am totally sure the funds I THINK will finish my project actually does =).

That being said the tub thing has been foremost on my mind the last few months. I have read and reread so many of the topics here, and I've checked out all models around me (sundance, jacuzzi, clearwater, caldera, hot springs, limelight, cal spa, marquis, and arctic). I have wet tested most of these spas as well. When I stepped into the Arctic Summit LE it was by far the best so far, with the second choice going to Caldera Niagara. No question my choice is the Summit, and I really liked the dealer; felt he was honest and upfront, and would actually be there to answer questions after the tub was mine. It is a 2006 refurbished Summit LE, according to his stock check it has the deluxe lights, will include the cover, onzen system, delivery, starter kit, tru-guard heater, also he's making the covermate lift half off and throwing in the 64inch 2-tier step. Out the door with tax for $8300. Only other charge I'd have is the electrical, which I would do myself and would run about 300-400. tub color is platinum. I put a deposit on it with the understanding I would think about it and give him the "yes" or "no" on Monday (deposit was mainly so it wouldn't sell over the weekend) . . . dealer said full refund and no hard feelings if I changed my mind.

Concerns: #1 one year warranty on parts, normally five years but because it's a refurb it's one. Dealer states all parts on it have either been repaired or replaced if needed. #2 The unit is the metal "sprayed like a bed of a truck" gray. Durability will be amazing, however I don't really like the look, and I really didn't want a gray color, but that's the only color it comes in. The tub would be going into a sunken patio below my upper deck . . . a concrete patio that has been stained a saddle brown color and matches the heated concrete floors in the basement. #3 as I mentioned before, finance wise I should finish the remodel first, then buy a tub, though I "want" one now =).

Am I making too much out of the outside look of the tub (color wise?). It's not as nice looking as the cedar or the other durable composite like stuff, but if it was brown and matched the house colors I would be more inclined to buy now. Since I'm having concerns about the shell should I just wait, finish the remodel and purchase the tub within a year, hoping they'll have a newer demo or refurb that would have the shell that would work? Regardless if I purchase this week, or at the end of the year, I know the summit LE is the model I would want and I feel strongly enough about the dealer that I would want to purchase from him.

Thanks for listening to me ramble and work this out via this post =). Any thoughts on making this decision?

So I'm at a crossroads. I have always wanted a tub, large enough that I can enjoy many different seats and one that my twin sister and family can help me enjoy. My job is physical (firefighter) and the thought of a daily soak has been a dream for a while now. I currently am doing a huge remodel on my house and am down to framing, electrical, sheetrock etc. of the basement from an unfinished to a finished product with a few bedrooms, bath, etc.. Realistically I should wait to get a tub until I am totally sure the funds I THINK will finish my project actually does =).

That being said the tub thing has been foremost on my mind the last few months. I have read and reread so many of the topics here, and I've checked out all models around me (sundance, jacuzzi, clearwater, caldera, hot springs, limelight, cal spa, marquis, and arctic). I have wet tested most of these spas as well. When I stepped into the Arctic Summit LE it was by far the best so far, with the second choice going to Caldera Niagara. No question my choice is the Summit, and I really liked the dealer; felt he was honest and upfront, and would actually be there to answer questions after the tub was mine. It is a 2006 refurbished Summit LE, according to his stock check it has the deluxe lights, will include the cover, onzen system, delivery, starter kit, tru-guard heater, also he's making the covermate lift half off and throwing in the 64inch 2-tier step. Out the door with tax for $8300. Only other charge I'd have is the electrical, which I would do myself and would run about 300-400. tub color is platinum. I put a deposit on it with the understanding I would think about it and give him the "yes" or "no" on Monday (deposit was mainly so it wouldn't sell over the weekend) . . . dealer said full refund and no hard feelings if I changed my mind.

Concerns: #1 one year warranty on parts, normally five years but because it's a refurb it's one. Dealer states all parts on it have either been repaired or replaced if needed. #2 The unit is the metal "sprayed like a bed of a truck" gray. Durability will be amazing, however I don't really like the look, and I really didn't want a gray color, but that's the only color it comes in. The tub would be going into a sunken patio below my upper deck . . . a concrete patio that has been stained a saddle brown color and matches the heated concrete floors in the basement. #3 as I mentioned before, finance wise I should finish the remodel first, then buy a tub, though I "want" one now =).

Am I making too much out of the outside look of the tub (color wise?). It's not as nice looking as the cedar or the other durable composite like stuff, but if it was brown and matched the house colors I would be more inclined to buy now. Since I'm having concerns about the shell should I just wait, finish the remodel and purchase the tub within a year, hoping they'll have a newer demo or refurb that would have the shell that would work? Regardless if I purchase this week, or at the end of the year, I know the summit LE is the model I would want and I feel strongly enough about the dealer that I would want to purchase from him.

Thanks for listening to me ramble and work this out via this post =). Any thoughts on making this decision?

$8300 sounds like a lot for a 3 year old tub with a one year warranty. You can get lots of other new tubs with full warranties for about that much. Of course, if you like the Summit it may be worth it - how much would the dealer want for a new Summit? Tubs seem to lose their value rapidly - you might take a look at Craigslist, used tubs from other dealers, or other used sources to see how much used tubs are generally going for in your area. Honestly, I would be surprised if any 3 year old tubs sell for even half of what the original price was.

On the other hand, I personally think buying a used tub is a good value. Because of the rapid depreciation, you can get a late-model tub for a good value. My most recent tub was used, refurbished from the dealer as well. That was 2-3 years ago now, with no problems, and I'm glad I did it.

Concerns: #1 one year warranty on parts, normally five years but because it's a refurb it's one. Dealer states all parts on it have either been repaired or replaced if needed.

I also think the price is high. New 8300 would be OK but used it should be allot less. I am also concerned about reliability if the parts have been replaced or repaired after just 3 (2.5) years maybe a different brand would be a better choice.

Thanks for the input!! I have also been looking on Craigslist and at other refurbished ones, as well as new. Supposedly the current model is going for $16,200 according to the dealer. "All parts have been repaired or replaced" was a blanket statement he made about all his refurb models, but when the warranty was only a year compared to the normal five they have, it made me wonder a bit.

Thanks for the input!! I have also been looking on Craigslist and at other refurbished ones, as well as new. Supposedly the current model is going for $16,200 according to the dealer. "All parts have been repaired or replaced" was a blanket statement he made about all his refurb models, but when the warranty was only a year compared to the normal five they have, it made me wonder a bit.

Is that $8300 and $16k in Canadian $ by chance?

I just purchased one of these refurbs last weekend. I'm also concerned about the 1 year warranty but decided to roll the dice. I was told all the jets and the onzen system are new. I doubt the heater and electronics are. If you bought the Legend SE new it actually has a 10 year warrenty. Ten worry free years would be wonderful, but at quite the cost. Retail price for the tub is 8k higher than the refurb. I feel very comfortable with the structure and shell and think the risk lies with the onzen, heater, pumps, and electronics. I'm sure you wouldn't pay retail for a new one, but it would still be at least 6.5-7.5k higher. I don't know the costs of these components and how often they could fail but it would take a lot of failures to add up to 8k. The tub at our last house (Clearwater) ran for 7 trouble free years and the Arctics seem to be of even higher quality. Sure there are reports of unhappy customers out there, but you can find that with any manufacturer.

Regarding the color, we plan on sinking ours into a deck as well. We are going to paint the part that shows if the gray doens't look good. I'll have to call Arctic to see what type of paint they recommend. The salesman said painting won't be an issue and if we find out otherwise we'll adapt the decking structure accordingly.

I wouldn't count on finding quite a selection of refurbs like this next year. This was specific to the powder coated metal exterier panels not keeping their finish, hence the large quantity of these. I'm sure specific dealers have used tubs every once in a while, but they won't have the same factory refurbished treatment. They'll just be cleaned up and inspected.

Now if this snow would just melt so I can prep the site!

Congrats on your purchase!!! I ended up passing on the tub for now, I told the dealer I really like the Summit LE but besides deciding if I really wanted to buy the tub before I was finished with the remodel, I really didn't like the look of the shell. Where it is going (under my deck but on a concrete patio that is accessed out the basement french doors) the shell is 100% visable, and for me to spend that much cash I figure I really should like all the features on it, including the looks. I did tell the dealer if that he eventually gets a floor/demo/refurb model that has the different shell and is a great price, to please give me a call. He was fine with my decision which made me like him even more as far as a dealer goes. You'll have to let me know how you like your tub when you get it all set to go!

I am in the business and I would never sink a tub in to a deck

$8,300 is a lot for a used product when in reality you can purchas a new tub for $5,000 - $8,000. Also a 2006 model usually has a factory warranty of 3 or 5 years. Your dealer is not really offering you a deal in my opinion if the equipment has already been refurbished.

Also I did not see any mention of you ever "wet testing" the hot tub. You need to try it out before you buy it and your dealer should accomidate you after hours for your privacy.

It all needs to come down to COMFORT and value. In regards to warrany - my opinion has always been "the simplier the better". Never buy the fiber optic lighting, remote control, or the cd / stereo, pop up tv.. they alwasy break.

I am in the business and I would never sink a tub in to a deck

$8,300 is a lot for a used product when in reality you can purchas a new tub for $5,000 - $8,000. Also a 2006 model usually has a factory warranty of 3 or 5 years. Your dealer is not really offering you a deal in my opinion if the equipment has already been refurbished.

Also I did not see any mention of you ever "wet testing" the hot tub. You need to try it out before you buy it and your dealer should accomidate you after hours for your privacy.

It all needs to come down to COMFORT and value. In regards to warrany - my opinion has always been "the simplier the better". Never buy the fiber optic lighting, remote control, or the cd / stereo, pop up tv.. they alwasy break.

Thanks for your input. I 100% agree with you on "comfort and value" as well as "simple is better". Don't need the extra stereo, lights, etc, just want a tub with hot water and jets that do the job needed. I did wet test the Summit for over an hour, and the dealer asked if I wanted to come back the next day to wet test it again. I felt that of all the spas I had wet tested, this was "the one" that I really enjoyed. Every seat was comfortable, the jets hit all the right spots, I never floated out, and the lay out would be great for family and my little nephews.

That being said I agree the warranty and price is too little/too much for this spa. If those two things can be improved on, I'd still be interested in getting this model of spa someday =).