South-pacific Spa

Rover1

We recently saw a South-Pacific spa at a home show. Other than the company was started in 2005, there is not a lot of information out there on these as far as performance. We liked the molded body and cover design. Anyone have one of these and/or know anything about them? We currently have a HS Tiger River Bengal and have been dealing with leaks in the plumbing, however; not in a big hurry to replace yet.

• 5 months later...

I have owned a compac about two months now. It's my first tub and I have no frame of reference as no one I have known has owned a tub and I did essentially zero research except for what was available locally for about four thousand dollars. I looked at a few used setups but was concerned about buying a used system with no support available. My local building supply (which also operates a pool and spa store) had one of these on the sales floor. It seems to be an oddball, they usually sell only Vision products.

I am a large person (like 4 bills) and those molded spas look like torture devices to me. This one got my attention because of its simplicity and its affordability. I have seen this model listed online for 3200 to 3500, I got mine for 2800 plus chemicals and taxes, it was just under three grand delivered to my deck. As I said I am pretty large and it seems very well built, I notice very little give under my feet when stepping on the seats. This is a SMALL tub but not ridiculously tiny. It's supposed to be a four person tub but it's obviously optimised for two average size people facing one another from opposite corners. I've had it filled with four bodies, myself and a nephew who is nearly as large as me, plus my two nieces who probably add another 350-400lb. Needless to say when we all got out the water level had dropped nearly a foot :) When it is just me and my younger niece (like 120lb perhaps) I can hardly tell a difference from when I am alone on the tub.

The 120v operation probably is going to need to be rewired for winter. I live in the south but based on the amount of time it takes to warm up and the heat loss I see just from normal operation it seems certain this needs to be wired for 4000W heating rather than the 1000W one gets from 120V. My tub sits on a deck about 6 foot off the ground just outside my bedroom. I had french doors installed after the deck was built just for this, so you can imagine my spa gets very well used - probably twice a day on average, sometimes more. I LOVE my spa and cannot believe how much it has improved my overall feeling of well being, specifically how my back just never seems to be bothered anymore by kinks that last several days. At first I was concerned about the lack of fancy jets on this tub (it has only 12 jets) but it seems to be quite adequate for the job. It does seem to be well insulated, though I may set it on foam the next time I change the water. Right now it sits on 5/4" treated lumber and I am thinking the foam may help keep the cold air out from under it when winter gets here. It's only very cold here (ie below freezing) a few days a year and I plan to continue using it every day!

I have owned a compac about two months now. It's my first tub and I have no frame of reference as no one I have known has owned a tub and I did essentially zero research except for what was available locally for about four thousand dollars. I looked at a few used setups but was concerned about buying a used system with no support available. My local building supply (which also operates a pool and spa store) had one of these on the sales floor. It seems to be an oddball, they usually sell only Vision products.

I am a large person (like 4 bills) and those molded spas look like torture devices to me. This one got my attention because of its simplicity and its affordability. I have seen this model listed online for 3200 to 3500, I got mine for 2800 plus chemicals and taxes, it was just under three grand delivered to my deck. As I said I am pretty large and it seems very well built, I notice very little give under my feet when stepping on the seats. This is a SMALL tub but not ridiculously tiny. It's supposed to be a four person tub but it's obviously optimised for two average size people facing one another from opposite corners. I've had it filled with four bodies, myself and a nephew who is nearly as large as me, plus my two nieces who probably add another 350-400lb. Needless to say when we all got out the water level had dropped nearly a foot :) When it is just me and my younger niece (like 120lb perhaps) I can hardly tell a difference from when I am alone on the tub.

The 120v operation probably is going to need to be rewired for winter. I live in the south but based on the amount of time it takes to warm up and the heat loss I see just from normal operation it seems certain this needs to be wired for 4000W heating rather than the 1000W one gets from 120V. My tub sits on a deck about 6 foot off the ground just outside my bedroom. I had french doors installed after the deck was built just for this, so you can imagine my spa gets very well used - probably twice a day on average, sometimes more. I LOVE my spa and cannot believe how much it has improved my overall feeling of well being, specifically how my back just never seems to be bothered anymore by kinks that last several days. At first I was concerned about the lack of fancy jets on this tub (it has only 12 jets) but it seems to be quite adequate for the job. It does seem to be well insulated, though I may set it on foam the next time I change the water. Right now it sits on 5/4" treated lumber and I am thinking the foam may help keep the cold air out from under it when winter gets here. It's only very cold here (ie below freezing) a few days a year and I plan to continue using it every day!

The South Pacific Spa is a great spa for the dollar , i am a dealer of these, i have also sold dreammaker and freeflow spas, both the Freeflow and the South Pacific are great roto molded spas, but the hard cover makes it hard to beat. especially with a lot of snow, also the use the high end gecko controls, the waterway jets and pump as the high end spas, but at a value price, it does not have the bells and whistles. just a good quality spa. we have had a couple minor problems that south pacific has taken care of... good luck on your hot tub venture, it is worth it......enjoy it...

Yes I forgot, the cover was also a bit of a feature for me. Seems so many spas dont have covers on them and you have to mess with a thing that flops around and has to be lifted off. The covers have developed a bit of fussiness after just a month (they don't seat properly when open unless you push kinda hard) but it's not that much of an issue, takes like five seconds and the tub is ready.

What issues were you having? Because I have no idea when this was made (I bought the floor model they had sitting in the showroom) I'd like to know what to look for.

Also, I'd like to know about this ozonator thing: sometimes at night I can see a light glowing inside the shell of the tub through the seat near the corner where the power cord attaches. I'm guessing this would be a UV light? But if that's what makes bubbles how does it always seem to have bubbles even when that light is not on?