Just Bought A Used Hot Tub, Now What?

bthessel

OK, I got a great deal on a used Calspa Escape, it is less than two year old and was inside a sun room. I've got a group of guys to help move it. Now what do I do? :lol: What chemicals do I need to clean it and maintain it? I read through the directions on sanitizing a tub so I know what to do but I don't know what I all need to buy.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Here is a detailed post about how to maintain your water using Cholrine. The other popular method is Bromine, which I also provide a link in that post.

The main difference between Chlorine and Bromine is Chlorine requires you to check and add Chlorine more often (about half the time) than Bromine. Bromine allows you to go longer between checking on the tub. However, you cannot change to Chlorine once you start using Bromine, without changing your water.

I would ask yourself how often you'll be using the tub. i.e. 2-3 times per week, more or less. Also, will you be leaving the tub for long periods (over a week), without a friend being able to check your tub. The most you should safely go without touching your tub using Chlorine is about one week. You can get about 2 weeks with Bromine.

So, if you plan on using the tub often, and the tub won't be by itself for long periods, I recommend starting off with Chlorine. If, however, you don't plan on using the tub much, or you don't want to deal with the tub on a daily (2-3 days after you learn it), I'd try Bromine. Either way you should read my above post, and understand it. There is plenty of info that pertains to both sanitation methods.

Good luck.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Here is a detailed post about how to maintain your water using Cholrine. The other popular method is Bromine, which I also provide a link in that post.

The main difference between Chlorine and Bromine is Chlorine requires you to check and add Chlorine more often (about half the time) than Bromine. Bromine allows you to go longer between checking on the tub. However, you cannot change to Chlorine once you start using Bromine, without changing your water.

I would ask yourself how often you'll be using the tub. i.e. 2-3 times per week, more or less. Also, will you be leaving the tub for long periods (over a week), without a friend being able to check your tub. The most you should safely go without touching your tub using Chlorine is about one week. You can get about 2 weeks with Bromine.

So, if you plan on using the tub often, and the tub won't be by itself for long periods, I recommend starting off with Chlorine. If, however, you don't plan on using the tub much, or you don't want to deal with the tub on a daily (2-3 days after you learn it), I'd try Bromine. Either way you should read my above post, and understand it. There is plenty of info that pertains to both sanitation methods.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, that was one of my biggest questions about why Chlorine versus Bromine. I am guessing that since Bromine requires less checking it is more expensive otherwise everyone would use it? Or do some people just prefer one versus the other?

Thanks for the info, that was one of my biggest questions about why Chlorine versus Bromine. I am guessing that since Bromine requires less checking it is more expensive otherwise everyone would use it? Or do some people just prefer one versus the other?

I'm not sure of the price comparison between using Bromine and Dichlor (Granulated Chlorine), but I do know the Dichlor/Bleach method I mention in my post is definitely the cheapest route.

Some prefer Bromine over Chlorine, because Chlorine smells more. Especialy after Chlorine gets used up and converted to Combined Chlorine. Others find the smell of Bromine to last longer on the skin and suits after getting out. Personaly I prefer Chlorine. I find if you maintain your water correctly, Chlorine is very difficult to smell while soaking.

But like almost anything, opinions will vary. The best thing to do is to try one, and see if you like it. If you don't switch. That's why I recommend starting with Chlorine, because you can easily switch if you don't like it. However, if you start with Bromine, you're stuck until your next refill.

There is one more method I haven't mentioned. It's a "Low" Chlorine method, called Nature 2. It uses Silver (a slow oxidizer), MPS (a fast Oxidizer) and a low dose of Chlorine to sanitize the water. It's ok if just a couple people are using the tub. However, if you plan on having high bather loads, I wouldn't trust it without increasing the Chlorine higher than they suggest.

You don't even mention Baguanide. FWIW, I've been using BaquaSpa for 3 years with No problems, ease of maintenance and no smell.

I would not recommend Biguanide, especially to someone just starting out, unless Bromine and Chlorine could not be used for some reason. But if the OP is interested in reading more about it, HERE is a very informative thread.

You don't even mention Baguanide. FWIW, I've been using BaquaSpa for 3 years with No problems, ease of maintenance and no smell.

I used Baquaspa for about 3-4 years when my tub was new, when I found that it stopped working all of a sudden. Got the nasty white mold growning in my water lines, that when I turned the pump on all came squirting out. really grossed out the friends we had in the tub with us.

After draining/refilling/shocking the crap out of it/draining/refilling issues, I went with Bromine only because it seems to last longer in the water than chlorine, which means less chores for me. That was 7 years ago. Bromine works for me.

Biguanide, is like an Antibiotic that kills bugs. However, after a while the bugs become resistant to it, forming White Mold, Pink Slime etc. Another issue is it recacts badly with Chlorine, creating a slimey, gooey, mess.

I had a friend that used it in his pool and spa for years. He finally gave up on using it in his pool a few years ago. I just called him today, asking him if he still uses it in his spa. He said no, he now uses Bromine.

I would not recommend Biguanide to anyone unless as a last resort, (i.e. an alergic reaction to Chlorine and Bromine). It is way more expensive, diffcult to use and it only lasts a few years before things start to go wrong. Then you're forced to drain, decontaminate and start over. No thanks!

Its been rumored that Biguanide can do harm to some of the internal workings of the tub itself.

Just what I want, to use rumors to guide my use of chemicals.

Not trying to pick on you. Don't even know if it is true that it hurts the hot tub, which I doubt. But judging by your posts, you are at about the same time limit I was when Baquaspa stopped working(3+ years). I liked Baquaspa too because there was no skin smell, etc.

I know I did more damage shocking the tub heavily to get the mold out, because it wasnt 6 months later, and all the jets started falling out due to the acidic nature of all the bleach I had used breaking the locking tabs.

Just keep an eye on your tub. The white mold wasnt evident until it was more people than my wife and I in the tub raising the water level in the air vent pipes where the white mold was growing, and then shooting it out into the tub. It was so gross, it looked like long stingy cooked egg-whites you might see in your chinese soup only on a lot larger scale.

Its been rumored that Biguanide can do harm to some of the internal workings of the tub itself.

Biguanides can damage some plastics, though it seems to be less of an issue with newer model spas.

Not trying to pick on you. Don't even know if it is true that it hurts the hot tub, which I doubt. But judging by your posts, you are at about the same time limit I was when Baquaspa stopped working(3+ years). I liked Baquaspa too because there was no skin smell, etc.

I know I did more damage shocking the tub heavily to get the mold out, because it wasnt 6 months later, and all the jets started falling out due to the acidic nature of all the bleach I had used breaking the locking tabs.

Just keep an eye on your tub. The white mold wasnt evident until it was more people than my wife and I in the tub raising the water level in the air vent pipes where the white mold was growing, and then shooting it out into the tub. It was so gross, it looked like long stingy cooked egg-whites you might see in your chinese soup only on a lot larger scale.

Thanks for being specific about what to look for. I don't pretend to know the future, and it is honestly unsettling to hear that other people have been as pleased with BaquaSpa as I have been up to the third year, but then developed white mold. Perhaps my only hope is that the tub is almost exclusively used only by my wife and myself, we shower before every use and go in naked, and of course it's indoors. So we have introduced the minimum of contaminants but I don't pretend that that totally protects us. My fingers are crossed because I still don't like what I read about either of my other choices.

My fingers are crossed because I still don't like what I read about either of my other choices.

Why do you think the other choices (Chlorine, Bromine) are bad? Have you ever tried them? I think you may be getting bad info.

If it's just you and your wife, why don't you try Nature2 (Silver and Low Chlorine)? I bet you or your wife wouldn't even know there's chlorine in the water. Also, if you're taking showers anyway, that would cut down on the chlorine usage even more.

Thanks for being specific about what to look for. I don't pretend to know the future, and it is honestly unsettling to hear that other people have been as pleased with BaquaSpa as I have been up to the third year, but then developed white mold. Perhaps my only hope is that the tub is almost exclusively used only by my wife and myself, we shower before every use and go in naked, and of course it's indoors. So we have introduced the minimum of contaminants but I don't pretend that that totally protects us. My fingers are crossed because I still don't like what I read about either of my other choices.

PS, I hear you, the Baquaspa is working for you. Spa guy told me the same as others on this board have mentioned, that he has heard others say it just stopped working. I was very surprised when it occurred to me, because I was very regular with chemical maintenance(more than I am now). After the mold cleanup, and a bunch of drain refills to flush the tub out, i converted to using Bromine tablets in the floater. I continually read a lot on this forum about chemical use. A lot of good info. But as with a lot of things in life, you have to figure out what works best in *your* situation. I'm from the school of "less is more". There are others on this forum that seem to subscribe to "if some is good, more is better". It is much easier to increase dosages if needed, than to reduce. I for one, don't like the thought of sitting in all those chemicals.

My Spa guy suggested that since a fresh tub fill at my home is with city water, the water is pretty balanced, and slightly chlorinated already. So, in my case, all I add on a new fill is calcium, and weekly stain & scale control dose. I then test the water, and get the total Alkalinity up around 120+, and a neutral PH, and I am ready to go. I do not bother with building up a "Bromine reserve" anymore, because that works for me. My tub's ozonator runs 24x7 on the circulation pump, and I have a Bromine floater that is almost totally closed off. When I test my water with the strips, Bromine almost never even registers, and there is no chemical smell at all. My water is crystal clear, smells good, and has no suds - so, I am doing enough in my situation to maintain my tub. Normal usage for us sounds similar to you, and no additional shocking or sanitizing is needed in my case. My wife and I are in the tub almost daily, as that is our only escape from the kids :-) On the other hand if my wife has a bunch of her girlfirends over, that is another story, and I have had to do some cleaning(too much lotion from their skin). In all, I'm happy with the change over,and it is actually cheaper than the Baquaspa.

Good Luck, I hope my experience helps you,

dave

OK, So I got the tub home last night. (holy smokes was that thing heavy! 7 big guys and it was all we could do to lift it out the windows of the sun room it was in.) The electrician is wiring it up today. I am hoping to clean it tonight, fill it tomorrow and maybe use it tomorrow night. I am going to follow Hillbilly Hot tub's guide to sanitizing it. What should I use to scrub down the insides? The local spa place says just use vinegar and water, thoughts? How strong should I mix it? Or should I just use the bleach water I am filling the tub with and scrub it with a soft brush and a rag to wipe down all the nobs and such?

Also in the sanitizing steps it says to raise the chlorine level to 100 ppm and run it. Am I reading the Pool Calculator site right that to do that I would add 93 ounces of 6% bleach for a 450 gallon tub?

We can't wait to enjoy it. It is actually a Calspa Avalon not an Escape as the owner who sold it to me thought.

OK, So I got the tub home last night. (holy smokes was that thing heavy! 7 big guys and it was all we could do to lift it out the windows of the sun room it was in.) The electrician is wiring it up today. I am hoping to clean it tonight, fill it tomorrow and maybe use it tomorrow night. I am going to follow Hillbilly Hot tub's guide to sanitizing it. What should I use to scrub down the insides? The local spa place says just use vinegar and water, thoughts? How strong should I mix it? Or should I just use the bleach water I am filling the tub with and scrub it with a soft brush and a rag to wipe down all the nobs and such?

Also in the sanitizing steps it says to raise the chlorine level to 100 ppm and run it. Am I reading the Pool Calculator site right that to do that I would add 93 ounces of 6% bleach for a 450 gallon tub?

We can't wait to enjoy it. It is actually a Calspa Avalon not an Escape as the owner who sold it to me thought.

Are you referring to Nitro's Guide to Water Maintenance? I didn't know Hillibilly Hot Tub had a guide except for decontamination, which is Super Shocking. Super Shocking (decontamination) is the process of killing any and all bacteria, viruses, mold, algae etc. in your tub. Being a used tub, it might not be a bad idea, but you need drain it shortly after Super Shocking. When you want to maintain your tub using Chlorine on an ongoing basis, then refer to my guide.

Does that make sense?

Are you referring to Nitro's Guide to Water Maintenance? I didn't know Hillibilly Hot Tub had a guide except for decontamination, which is Super Shocking. Super Shocking (decontamination) is the process of killing any and all bacteria, viruses, mold, algae etc. in your tub. Being a used tub, it might not be a bad idea, but you need drain it shortly after Super Shocking. When you want to maintain your tub using Chlorine on an ongoing basis, then refer to my guide.

Does that make sense?

Yes, the decon guide. I was going to decon it then follow your guide from there on.

Yes, the decon guide. I was going to decon it then follow your guide from there on.

Ok, can I make a suggestion. You could also try flushing the plumbing out using a Spa Flush product. It's an enzyme that will clean out the pipes. It may be worthwhile since it's a used tub. You'd have to fill it up, add the Spa Flush, let it sit overnight, then drain and refill. After that, do the Super Shock, drain and refill again. It might seem like a lot of trouble, but you'd be surprised what will come out of those pipes.