Dichlor/bleach Questions....confusion

cocoabailey

I agree Nitro, I definitelly need a good test kit, and I do plan on getting one. From what I have read here on this forum they seem hard to get here in Canada. I am going South in a week so I was going to try and pick one up when I am down there. From the post I read it seemed I could just get away with adding the dichlor for the predetermined amount of time, then switch to bleach once I had a complete water test done to confirm everything was where it should be....you got to love it when a plan comes togeather :lol: At least I am learning all kinds of new information and I do enjoy that!

So the 15 tsp of dichlor includes shocks and all? Should I still be trying to maintain a constant FC of 4-5 ppm during this time?

15 tsp (5 TBS) is the TOTAL (including shocks) amount of Dichlor you add. That's about 28ppm FC, which is 25 CYA. You can take a water sample in to get it tested to make sure. Go by the AMOUNT of Dichlor you add, not the time. The time to get to ~25 CYA can very depending on how much you use. For every 10ppm FC you add, you also add 9ppm CYA. Make sense?

I have added another 2Tbs, will post how it works out in 20.

Hopefully this will get your TA to 60ppm. Once your TA is at 60ppm, your pH should be in the mid 7's from aeration.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Nitro, I definitelly need a good test kit, and I do plan on getting one. From what I have read here on this forum they seem hard to get here in Canada. I am going South in a week so I was going to try and pick one up when I am down there. From the post I read it seemed I could just get away with adding the dichlor for the predetermined amount of time, then switch to bleach once I had a complete water test done to confirm everything was where it should be....you got to love it when a plan comes togeather :lol: At least I am learning all kinds of new information and I do enjoy that!

So the 15 tsp of dichlor includes shocks and all? Should I still be trying to maintain a constant FC of 4-5 ppm during this time?

15 tsp (5 TBS) is the TOTAL (including shocks) amount of Dichlor you add. That's about 28ppm FC, which is 25 CYA. You can take a water sample in to get it tested to make sure. Go by the AMOUNT of Dichlor you add, not the time. The time to get to ~25 CYA can very depending on how much you use. For every 10ppm FC you add, you also add 9ppm CYA. Make sense?

I have added another 2Tbs, will post how it works out in 20.

Hopefully this will get your TA to 60ppm. Once your TA is at 60ppm, your pH should be in the mid 7's from aeration.

PH looked aroun 7.2 TA 55

Just added one more Tbs of bs, this should get the TA up to 60.

Looked pretty close from what I can tell, but so hard to tell just off the strips, I can't wait to pick up a water kit. Can you buy them from spa dealers in the states or do they have to be mailed out as well?

Thanks again for all the help Nitro!

PH looked aroun 7.2 TA 55

Just added one more Tbs of bs, this should get the TA up to 60.

Good. When you get your TA to 60ppm, your pH should be ~7.5, then you can stop.

I'd check TA/pH again tomorrow after sitting for a day. Your pH may drop some.

Looked pretty close from what I can tell, but so hard to tell just off the strips, I can't wait to pick up a water kit. Can you buy them from spa dealers in the states or do they have to be mailed out as well?

Yes, most pool/spa supply stores have them.

Thanks again for all the help Nitro!

No problem.