Turning An Indoor Pool Into A Rec Room

pipewrench

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on a project I'd like to hire someone to undertake.

We have an ingound, indoor pool that we don't use often. We'd like to turn the room into

a rec room that could be used year round. Obviously, we'll need a floor over it. I've spoken to

one builder already, and have others lined up to come over and check it out too. The liner is shot, btw.

The first builder had an interesting solution to the problem, but said we didn't need to fill in the pool with

anything. (He wants to cut into the concrete about 6" and lay galvanized steel flooring across it, and then pour concrete on top to make it level with the existing concrete floor.)

I'm worried that if I don't fill in the pool with any type of fill, the dirt/sand will slide due to the water table moving it.

Any ideas? Should I fill it in, at least part way to keep the dirt/sand from moving?

The pool is 14,000 gallons and would take a tremendous amount of fill to fill it all the way up. (Not to mention

the task of getting the fill from the truck to inside the building...)

SO, what do you think? Fill it in all the way, part way, or none of the way?

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on a project I'd like to hire someone to undertake.

We have an ingound, indoor pool that we don't use often. We'd like to turn the room into

a rec room that could be used year round. Obviously, we'll need a floor over it. I've spoken to

one builder already, and have others lined up to come over and check it out too. The liner is shot, btw.

The first builder had an interesting solution to the problem, but said we didn't need to fill in the pool with

anything. (He wants to cut into the concrete about 6" and lay galvanized steel flooring across it, and then pour concrete on top to make it level with the existing concrete floor.)

I'm worried that if I don't fill in the pool with any type of fill, the dirt/sand will slide due to the water table moving it.

Any ideas? Should I fill it in, at least part way to keep the dirt/sand from moving?

The pool is 14,000 gallons and would take a tremendous amount of fill to fill it all the way up. (Not to mention

the task of getting the fill from the truck to inside the building...)

SO, what do you think? Fill it in all the way, part way, or none of the way?

Thank you all for your help and advice.

I would fill it in. For one there is no way of telling how the pool will hold up being empty and then a floor put over the top. The water pushing against the walls and the fill on the other side help to keep the pool in place. I say help because it can be empty but as you stated if ground water can seep into the pool you can a serious problem with mold etc, not to mention if one of the pool walls shift it could ruin the floor on top. Now your looking at more money to repair. I don't know what a insurance company must say if they find out.

Somebody has to have some sort of conveyor system that can move fill just like the ones to do commercials roof, moving brick, pouring concrete.

I guess you could fill it will stone somewhat then pour concrete over that to keep the pool walls from moving and the stone would be a drain field, but I am not qualified to make that decision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you fill it in, it's a good idea to also drill some large holes thru the bottom of the shell so moisture can escape. I'd recommend an engineered plan, to avoid potential future problems. It might cost a little more up front, but could eliminate a disaster later.

• 14 years later...