Ozone And Itch/rash

I have been seeing many people question if their ozone is causing an itch or rash.

On the newer tubs, 2000 and up, the ozone is surpressed/shut off if you touch any of your control buttons. It was a safty feature because ozone can cause burns, plus the ozone is not good to breath. Unless you have an older tub, the ozone should be shutting down while using the tub. Now if you go into the tub and just soak, and don't touch the buttons. The ozone will be on in tubs with circ pumps, and could be on in tubs with a dual duty pump if it is in a filter cycle. You should touch one of the buttons to shut it off.

Older tubs it could be running aand not only cause burns, but can cause issues with breathing.

Ozone does not stay in the water long enough after shutting off to cause any issues with skin.

I hope this helps....

• 4 weeks later...
I have been seeing many people question if their ozone is causing an itch or rash.

On the newer tubs, 2000 and up, the ozone is surpressed/shut off if you touch any of your control buttons. It was a safty feature because ozone can cause burns, plus the ozone is not good to breath. Unless you have an older tub, the ozone should be shutting down while using the tub. Now if you go into the tub and just soak, and don't touch the buttons. The ozone will be on in tubs with circ pumps, and could be on in tubs with a dual duty pump if it is in a filter cycle. You should touch one of the buttons to shut it off.

Older tubs it could be running aand not only cause burns, but can cause issues with breathing.

Ozone does not stay in the water long enough after shutting off to cause any issues with skin.

I hope this helps....

Thank you for the helpful information.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this is true: "On the newer tubs, 2000 and up, the ozone is surpressed/shut off if you touch any of your control buttons."

I know for a fact that this is not true on 2008 Hot Springs models. You can prove it by putting a glass over where the ozone bubbles come out (with water, of course, so the bubbles displace the water). Once it is full of the ozone infused air, turn it over and "sniff" the bubble as it comes out. If you don't know what ozone smells like, you most definitely will after this experiment. I did this so I would know the smell so I would be able to confirm that my ozonator was working in the future.

The Hot Springs manuals mention nothing about an ozone safety cutoff. They are all stated to be on all the time - 24/7. I read through several other manuals when hunting for a tub last year and I don't recall any of them having such a "shut off" feature.

Additionally, I have a friend who has been a Vita Spas dealer for several years, and I just asked him - he agrees that such a "shut off" feature does not exist on any of their tubs.

Sorry to burst your bubble (pun intended - and credit given to the Vita dealer).

I'd def. check your manual for a confirmation of your tub - it's clearly not an industry wide feature. Besides, with the cover off, you won't be breathing in the ozone in any unreasonable concentration.

Ive got a sundance tub, with a ozonator, when the air or jets are turned on the ozone goes off, also on the controll pannel there is a icon for when it is on or not. Ozone dosnt bother me if we sit in tub with no jets on ozinator is running. There are many things that make ozone besides your hot tub. Hair dryers, TV's and expecially anything with high voltage. If your in question if ozone is irritating you. Im guessing you could disconnect power to ozonator, I know sundance tubs dont even come with them but very very easy to install it might be as simple as disconnecting a connector for a week or two and see what happens