Throat irritation from Bromine?

Guest cyndi

Hi, I'm having some trouble with my indoor spa. When my husband takes off the cover of the spa, the smell is terrible and I start to cough. We use a bromine floater. I don't know if it's maybe too high of a concentration or not. I adjusted it today.

When he is in the spa... I started getting a tickle in the back of my throat and started coughing. My kids also did. I can't seem to find any info regarding this problem. Most people say there is no allergic reactions to bromine. I also notice a sour smell. We opened the windows and doors.

Has anyone else had this problem with their spas? (I'm more concerned with the throat irritation and coughing)

Thanks

Guest Suncrest

Since it sounds like you have an indoor spa I would really look at a product I use in my spa called Rainforest Blue. I have been very happy with it and they have lots of information about it on their web site at spafriendly.com. I don't have the smell or irritation using it that I did with chlorine and bromine and my skin feels soft when I get out. Good Luck.

what usually happens over time is the build up of sodium bromide, bromine salt, may take only a few months of dissolving tablets of sod. brom. into the spa. the irritation can get severe. it also usually indicates an overdose condition, test the water more frequently, try to maintain about 3-5ppm of bromine and if its been more than a few months, its time for a water change.

You need to try a product call Spa magic, its been around for 17 years and it works, I've been useing it for 9 years myself. you don't get those toxic fumes. its a natural seaweed Enzymes product. its good for three months at a time and you just, adjust your ph and your done. its very good for your skin. I don't know any other product out their that has been on the market this long and is a seaweed Enzyme. just try it once. I get it from abm-solutions.net they are realy nice people.

product.

I can't even use my spa -- the irritating fumes make me dissolve into coughing fits -- same with anyone else that comes near it. It is a bromine system.

I completely drained and refilled with fresh water and after putting a little bromine in the smell is right back. Unbearable!!

The spa guy told me that it was a white algae that gives off acidic fumes when it is dying. He treated the spa with algaecide. After a week it is still terrible. I've added more algaecide.

I really wonder if any algae could make such an acidic smell. It feels like your lungs are getting burned -- maybe they are!!

Anyway -- anyone with information -- please help us. I'd like to fill my expensive spa with dirt and make a huge planter out of it!!

GET RID OF THE BROMINE. I hate it. A simple chlorine system works much better IMO. And if you have ozone and go with Nature II (chlorine based) it's even better. I'm not sure if I've ever met a person who's tried both bromine and chlorine and preferred the Bromine.