Finding Leaks; Removing Foam Insulation

greg-t

Hi,

My spa is a Coleman Horizon 400 (447 Beach Gran) purchased by the previous owners of my house in 1997.

Recently is started leaking slowly (about 1/8" per day). The water jets on the sides look good, but I cannot see the water or air jets at the bottom because of all the urethane spray foam.

My questions:

1) What is the best way to diagnose a leak of this kind?

2) Is there a preferred method of removing foam to see what is going on around the jets? Any pitfalls or suggestions?

I am fairly handy, but I see no straightforward way to diagnose this problem and am hoping there is some collected wisdom that I can tap into.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi,

My spa is a Coleman Horizon 400 (447 Beach Gran) purchased by the previous owners of my house in 1997.

Recently is started leaking slowly (about 1/8" per day). The water jets on the sides look good, but I cannot see the water or air jets at the bottom because of all the urethane spray foam.

My questions:

1) What is the best way to diagnose a leak of this kind?

2) Is there a preferred method of removing foam to see what is going on around the jets? Any pitfalls or suggestions?

I am fairly handy, but I see no straightforward way to diagnose this problem and am hoping there is some collected wisdom that I can tap into.

Thanks,

Greg

Most times were there is leak the foam can change to a brown stain or calcium buildup. I am assuming you checked all the pump seals, union fittings, glue joints at jets.

Sometimes you have to remove some foam to see were the leak is. The best tool I found is a pocket knife with a medium sized blade. this way you can remove small pieces at a time. There is some plumbing that you can't see from the sides no matter what. worst case is to block the spa up with 4x4's or cinder blocks high enough to get under it. Fill it and see were the water drips.

Most times were there is leak the foam can change to a brown stain or calcium buildup. I am assuming you checked all the pump seals, union fittings, glue joints at jets.

Sometimes you have to remove some foam to see were the leak is. The best tool I found is a pocket knife with a medium sized blade. this way you can remove small pieces at a time. There is some plumbing that you can't see from the sides no matter what. worst case is to block the spa up with 4x4's or cinder blocks high enough to get under it. Fill it and see were the water drips.

Thanks, I did check all the visible plumbing, seals and unions. I replaced my heater two years ago, so I was familiar with issues around those areas.

It is figuring out which jets/injectors are suspect. I will look for discolorations. Thanks.

I have never done anything like putting my spa up on blocks. I have a few questions maybe you (or someone) can help me with:

• Are there any cautions when raising the spa?
  • Do I have to disconnect the wiring first?
  • Are they designed to be able to be filled with (some) water when suspended?
  • Do you need a jack to raise then up onto the blocks, or can just 1 or 2 people do it?

Regards,

Greg

Thanks, I did check all the visible plumbing, seals and unions. I replaced my heater two years ago, so I was familiar with issues around those areas.

It is figuring out which jets/injectors are suspect. I will look for discolorations. Thanks.

I have never done anything like putting my spa up on blocks. I have a few questions maybe you (or someone) can help me with:

• Are there any cautions when raising the spa?
  • Do I have to disconnect the wiring first?
  • Are they designed to be able to be filled with (some) water when suspended?
  • Do you need a jack to raise then up onto the blocks, or can just 1 or 2 people do it?

Regards,

Greg

The spa has to empty to raise or lower. If the wiring has extra cable it can be left connected. The best way is to have something like I heavy duty hand truck or jack, something that won't bend. stick it under the middle on 1 side pry up and stick the 2- 4x4's under corner on a angle. then do the other side. keep alteranting sides until you get high enough. The spa can be refilled while on the blocks. start with 1/2 full than add water in needed.

only do this as a last ditch effort.

The spa has to empty to raise or lower. If the wiring has extra cable it can be left connected. The best way is to have something like I heavy duty hand truck or jack, something that won't bend. stick it under the middle on 1 side pry up and stick the 2- 4x4's under corner on a angle. then do the other side. keep alteranting sides until you get high enough. The spa can be refilled while on the blocks. start with 1/2 full than add water in needed.

only do this as a last ditch effort.

Many thanks. I'll try it next weekend.

-G