Just Curious

JKM

I recently read where they've had temps of -78 in Alaska. That got me to thinking, how cold does it get before a hot tub is simply un-usable or unsafe? What's the coldest the weather has been when you've been in your tub?

I recently read where they've had temps of -78 in Alaska. That got me to thinking, how cold does it get before a hot tub is simply un-usable or unsafe? What's the coldest the weather has been when you've been in your tub?

We have used our tub at -20. only when the wind is not blowing tho.....

So far we've used the tub at -40 celcius. It hurts when you go in but you retain enough heat on the way out to make it bearable. We also put up a vapour barrier screen to cut the icy wind. Our hair still froze on our heads !

That's incredible. BTW, -40C=-40F. At some point it seems like you would turn into an ice cube as soon as you got out.

So far we've used the tub at -40 celcius. It hurts when you go in but you retain enough heat on the way out to make it bearable. We also put up a vapour barrier screen to cut the icy wind. Our hair still froze on our heads !

That's incredible. BTW, -40C=-40F. At some point it seems like you would turn into an ice cube as soon as you got out.

Needless to say that the hot water and cold air generate so much fog that you can't even see other bathers in the tub!

I found that the fun goes out of it at around -10F with 0 and above the best. -22 was the coldest I went in and the getting in and getting out and covering made the soak not worth the effort. Wear a hat to prevent your head from getting cold and your hair freezing. (tuke)

-40 again for the next few days! I'll try to take some pics of the foggy spa.

I would think at that temperature, you would have the water vapor turning to snow, kind of like a "lake effect" snowstorm.

It did not happen at -20.i thought it was the best combo going,105 degrees on one side -20 on the other.you go back and forth between the two extreams.

I would think at that temperature, you would have the water vapor turning to snow, kind of like a "lake effect" snowstorm.

It did not happen at -20.i thought it was the best combo going,105 degrees on one side -20 on the other.you go back and forth between the two extreams.

Unreal! Glad I live in the South but from the looks of the forecast, I'm not that much better off this week. :o

Unreal! Glad I live in the South but from the looks of the forecast, I'm not that much better off this week. :o

Last time it was -40 I was serving drinks out of glasses I had carved out of ice. My Australian sister-in-law was very impressed (by the glasses, not the cold weather).

if i lived down south,i would need a big freezer to put the spa in :o

Was -24F here in Iowa last night...the tub was a toasty 102F, thankfully no wind. Dicey getting out, I grabbed the metal bar I attached to my porch wall as I got out...it was like the tongue on the flag pole thing in "Christmas Story"...stuck immediately. If you take a cup of spa water and toss it in to the air, it vaporized...

if i lived down south,i would need a big freezer to put the spa in :o

Was -24F here in Iowa last night...the tub was a toasty 102F, thankfully no wind. Dicey getting out, I grabbed the metal bar I attached to my porch wall as I got out...it was like the tongue on the flag pole thing in "Christmas Story"...stuck immediately. If you take a cup of spa water and toss it in to the air, it vaporized...

I had -31F a couple hundred miles north of you neighbor.

Its soooooo worth it :D we dont grab anything.we also make sure we walk on the snow getting out.- 4 tonight :D:D:D

You could get a "spa in a box" :lol: they could deliver it right to the hole in the ice?

Not sure my generator is big enough. Besides I'd be fightin off the neighbors all day!!

IMG_1577.jpg

I was told by a salesman that the spa in the box was so energy wise because they get there heat by running the spas water around the electric motor. the electric motor gives off heat :o so it heats the spa.i would love to hear from a end user on how nice it must be sitting on a 1/8" thick styrofoam bottom on 4 feet thick of ice :huh:

You could get a "spa in a box" :lol: they could deliver it right to the hole in the ice?

Not sure my generator is big enough. Besides I'd be fightin off the neighbors all day!!

IMG_1577.jpg

I was told by a salesman that the spa in the box was so energy wise because they get there heat by running the spas water around the electric motor. the electric motor gives off heat :o so it heats the spa.i would love to hear from a end user on how nice it must be sitting on a 1/8" thick styrofoam bottom on 4 feet thick of ice :huh:

Lately the ice is 60 degrees warmer than the air!!!!

IMG_1577.jpg

Lately the ice is 60 degrees warmer than the air!!!!

Every little bit helps