What's Big Or Small?

Apx

We are looking around for a hot tub and I am kind of lost.

Before dry/wet testing out every hot tub I started reading online and some tubs are for 5 or 6 people but only hold

around 250 Gallons and then another one holds 350-400 Gallons.

I am 6'3 and my wife is 5'6 so I think she will be fine but I would like to be comfortable too.

Also, what is preferred? All seats or maybe a lounger?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction

Before dry/wet testing out every hot tub I started reading online and some tubs are for 5 or 6 people but only hold

I am 6'3 and my wife is 5'6 so I think she will be fine but I would like to be comfortable too.

I just had mine delivered and set up today. I was going with one that only held 250 gallons and had a lounger andf 2 seats (it will mostly be just me) but I felt kind of clausterphobic in it so I went with one that holds 400 gallons and will seat 5-6. Can't wait for it to heat up!

There is no answer as to what seating is best for you. I'm a no-lounge, open seating guy myself but what does that mean to you? I don't expect to be coming over to use it so you need what works for you and that is where the two magical words come in, wet test!!!!!

Stats about the # of people a spa seats can be inaccurate so I'd ignore them (and not everyone is the same width anyway). I'd start by going by how many it looks like it'll seat and then wet test where interested. The # of gallons means little and I wonder on some spas I've seen whether they were determined by an Engineer or by the Marketing department.

Being that you are tall I would think in general that you would want to look at spas that are at least 36" to get your shoulders under water but again, a wet test will tell you that for sure. Fortunately your wife isn't short for a female so you should be able to find a spa that is deep enough for you without drowning her.

Now that's a quick reply!

Was the 250usg really a lot smaller?

The 1 lounger and 4 seats was what I was looking at and when I read 250USG it just sounded tiny.

Kind of lost now :huh:

I liked the lounger at first but then heard that people tend to float up in it. 1 lounger and 4 seats with only 250 glalons does sound small. I would go up to the larger size. Dimensions of the smaller were 62x80x33. The one I got is 8sx82x38. The smaller one did seem a lot smaller.

Now that's a quick reply!

Was the 250usg really a lot smaller?

The 1 lounger and 4 seats was what I was looking at and when I read 250USG it just sounded tiny.

Kind of lost now :huh:

I liked the lounger at first but then heard that people tend to float up in it. 1 lounger and 4 seats with only 250 glalons does sound small. I would go up to the larger size. Dimensions of the smaller were 62x80x33. The one I got is 8sx82x38. The smaller one did seem a lot smaller.

I think what Spatech could be right. Maybe the actual USG could be very off. Some spa's I saw were around 84x84x36 and between 235 and 350 gallons. I would say the right way would be to weigh the tub full and empty and then divide by 8.34(I could be off here, as I am dutch and used to the easy metric system) :D

Dimensions of the smaller were 62x80x33. The one I got is 8sx82x38. The smaller one did seem a lot smaller.

The larger length and width obviously allow for more people/room but the biggest difference between those two spas as far as comfort for a tall person is the fact that one spa has a height of only 33" while the other is 38", that is a huge difference. Someone who is 6’3” certainly needs a spa taller than 33” IMO.

Dimensions of the smaller were 62x80x33. The one I got is 8sx82x38. The smaller one did seem a lot smaller.

The larger length and width obviously allow for more people/room but the biggest difference between those two spas as far as comfort for a tall person is the fact that one spa has a height of only 33" while the other is 38", that is a huge difference. Someone who is 6’3” certainly needs a spa taller than 33” IMO.

True, I am so glad I went with the larger one. I am only 5'9" but it felt small to me.

True, I am so glad I went with the larger one. I am only 5'9" but it felt small to me.

Think I might just have to stick around the big tubs then. :D

Does anyone know how the coleman spa's are? We found a dealer here in Colorado.

The people who used to make the Coleman brand now make them under the name Maxx and you'll hear mostly good things about them on this site. If its the company based in Florida who bought the rights to the name Coleman then that's a Living Waters product and I'd avoid it like a 3 legged chair.

There are a lot of good products out there. I like Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. Others have good things to say about Arctic, Artesian, Beachcomber, Bullfrog ... Go to the websites of each manufacturer and they should have a dealer locator where all you have to do is enter your zip code and they'll show you where their nearest dealer is. That ould be my first step.

I'm 6'3",too, and spend 99% of my tub time in the deepest corner seat. Once in a great while I use the lounger. I can't remember how many people our Arctic Frontier is supposed to seat but the most we;ve had in it, comfortably, was 6 folks. It's a 400 gallon tub.

The people who used to make the Coleman brand now make them under the name Maxx and you'll hear mostly good things about them on this site. If its the company based in Florida who bought the rights to the name Coleman then that's a Living Waters product and I'd avoid it like a 3 legged chair.

There are a lot of good products out there. I like Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. Others have good things to say about Arctic, Artesian, Beachcomber, Bullfrog ... Go to the websites of each manufacturer and they should have a dealer locator where all you have to do is enter your zip code and they'll show you where their nearest dealer is. That ould be my first step.

But if it's a dealer that supports the product here then I should be covered for any problems right?

I bought the product from him, he is local and is responsible if anything breaks within warranty.

Although I think I can fix most of the stuff that could break myself. Don't think it's rocket science with my background.

There is a difference between "Has 6 seats" and Seats 6 adults comfortabley.

It's been my experience that the tubs in the 350 gallons and less are significantly shallower than the larger tubs that push the 450+ gallons. I find that on the "smaller" tubs that more of my torso/shoulders are up and out of the water, which in the cold weather isn't desriable. The bigger tubs I am submerged to my neck.

As others have said, the only way to tell is to wet test and get the size that works for you.

I have had tubs with the lounger and without. I liek the lounger. It's a nice seating option, and use it every time i use the top. When I entertain and have a full tub, I wish I had a few more seats, than the lounger, but overall I prefer the lounger and recomend people to buy a tub with a varitey of jetting seating.

But if it's a dealer that supports the product here then I should be covered for any problems right?

I bought the product from him, he is local and is responsible if anything breaks within warranty.

Although I think I can fix most of the stuff that could break myself. Don't think it's rocket science with my background.

We all say how the dealer is important but what we really mean is get a good product from a good dealer, you want both. If you got a Coleman made by the people who make Maxx spas you should be fine.

Same dimensions as my wife and I! But I found the Jacuzzi models (some I think were 38" high) too deep for my own comfort and my wife floated like an inner tube. We ended up with a 35" model and the positions of its particular seating works well for each of us. (I tend to end up in the deeper therapy seat and she in the higher adirondack therapy chair.)

It's the old "wet test" "wet test" "wet test" and if you are married | partnered, you better "do it together", yes? :wub:

Same dimensions as my wife and I! But I found the Jacuzzi models (some I think were 38" high) too deep for my own comfort and my wife floated like an inner tube. We ended up with a 35" model and the positions of its particular seating works well for each of us. (I tend to end up in the deeper therapy seat and she in the higher adirondack therapy chair.)

It's the old "wet test" "wet test" "wet test" and if you are married | partnered, you better "do it together", yes? :wub:

Hey! Colorado too I see ;)

My wife is currently pregnant so we might have to wait a bit with the testing then.

Hey! Colorado too I see ;)

My wife is currently pregnant so we might have to wait a bit with the testing then.

It sounds like we have had a similar though process as far as number of people, gallons, and going to the dealers after extensive web searches. Each time I went looking to test a particular tub after internet research I was disappointed as they were not filled or not on the floor. I don't want a honker tub but I also want enough variety in the seats that I don't feel limited if I end up hating 50% of the seats in a two seater. After doing a little wet testing I was amazed at how "off" my eyes were from reality as well as my analytic process. I was wavering on how important wet testing may be in spite of all the advice here because the dealers don't have all the tubs full of water. After getting in a 10k tub the other night (looking in the 6k range for therapy and no "Chrome") that I would have been incredibly dissatisfied with had I bought, I wouldn't buy a tub for half off with out wet testing first. I'm currently looking at the beachcomber 360, which has different height seats (as do most I think) and is about 350 gallons. I also like the fact is has one side a little narrower than the other for my placement issues but still is substantial. I dry tested it and the seats were comfortable and pragmatic. It only has one pump and is pretty basic, but it does have an ozone option. I was thinking I could manually shut off most of the seats since it does not have a diverter valve. I might hate it once I wet test, but based on dry tests it was a breath of fresh air in the line ups I had been considering. I feel a lot of pressure to pick up a cheap 08 model as the dealers have them discounted 15-30 percent, but If I don't like the higher-featured tub what's the savings worth? I recently changed my approach. Instead of researching the heck out of the tubs online, I'm going to the dealers and saying: "I'm buying a tub in the next 30 days, I absolutely will not buy a tub unless I've wet tested it, What can you do to sell me a tub?" That seems to work a lot better than spec checking online. Depending on how big your market is you may have better results when you want to go wet test something you have been researching online. I limited myself too much before I got wet and once I did I changed my thought process that all the web searching was based upon. Good luck as I've found this more difficult than trying to buy a car!