Need Advice On Equipment Upgrade

Cason Bang

I need some advice on upgrading my pool equipment. 

I have a mix of brands and PVC elbows that has been upgraded by previous owners. Our pool store is running a promotion for free install with equipment purchase until 1/1… and they'll match internet prices. I'm in Dallas so the pool is open year-round and the pump runs 10 hours a day in the summer. I'll probably own the house for at least another 3-5 years.

Main Goals:

1. Decrease time spent maintaining pool (cleaning, programming, and equipment maintenance)
  2. Decrease cost of maintaining pool (electricity, chemicals, and repairs) Complaints about current setup

Complaints about current setup

1. Hot tub seems slow to heat up
  2. Remote control is slow to respond & doesn't work inside house
  3. Filter is difficult to disassemble and clean
  4. Spa blower is so powerful water splashes out
  5. Have to manually turn off the pool drain to use the hot tub
  6. Remote control of heater seems to no longer work

I really like the feel of saltwater pools and I was considering installing a Jandy AquaPure system. I've toyed with the idea of switching to an IntelliFlo for electricity savings.

Are there any problems with my current installation that could lead to equipment damage? Should I take this opportunity to upgrade any equipment? I've included some pictures of the equipment area and a diagram of the intakes and returns.

Thanks for your help!

116_0041.JPG

116_0045.JPG

116_0048.JPG

Drawing1.jpg

Huge Hartford loop. WOW! You don't need a heater, That one is Braaand new. If you buy from those guys, Insist they re plumb the face piping. Every thing up to the heater anyway. From the heater to the pool looks ok. Just have them put a check valve between the heater and the Cl feeder. Looks like it's running in pool mode in the pic. Suction actuator needs an adjustment, Should be closing off the spa suc completely in pool mode. Also looks like there is no way to suc from just the spa without also manually turning a valve (Pain in the butt). If the actuator(s) are out of adjustment in spa mode as well, that maybe why it takes so long to heat. When you run it in spa mode, does it continually overflow to the pool? I know, a lot of questions here.

If your pump isn't leaking, it's not making a racket, and you got good pressure, It looks like the only thing you need is a filter. Unless you want to get a Energy efficient pump. See if they would be willing to change the header over for you too (make it so the pipes come out of the heater on the left side instead of the right side. It would really clean up the plumbing. If they look at you like you're from Mars when you ask that, I would question their expertise. (Raypak has made it real easy to do this, I can do it in about a half hour)

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

I can not see the output of your heater, but a 250,000 BTU heater should take in the range of 30 minutes to 1 hour to reach your target 104 degrees. Your mechanical system looks good - the heater looks new as mentioned in a previous post. I would recommend however a length of heat resistant CPVC pipe going to and coming from the heater to help protect against heat damage. Also the in line chloine feeder is too close to your heater to be safe.

I would recommend to replace the filter and possibly upgrade the aqualink panel which would include new remotes for your equipment. You could try to isolate the pool and spa systems and put them on seperate systems with a shared heater and automation controls fro switching between settings for ease of use, but cost mught be prohibitive.

Since you plan to move, you should realize that you will not get back any of the money you put into this pool mechanical renovation. The curernt system looks passable, better than most, and fancy new automation equipment will not increase teh curb appealk of your house to offset the purchasing costs of your new peripherals.

A full pool spa combo system with aqualink control and sand filter combined with the actuators that you already have could make for a good system. the truth is that your system is already good and likely could get by with just a new filter and insppection of your aqualink panel.

I hope this information is helpful.

S