Dishwasher Filter Wash?

bizdoc

I noticed on one of the filter sites a that dishwasher detergent is appropriate for filter cleaning. That leads to the question of just putting the filter into the dishwasher (without the heated dry of course). Has anyone tried this?

Do remember that residual "stuff" from your hot tub will then be left in your dishwasher. As far as the detergent is concerned I am not a fan of bubbles.

I noticed on one of the filter sites a that dishwasher detergent is appropriate for filter cleaning. That leads to the question of just putting the filter into the dishwasher (without the heated dry of course). Has anyone tried this?

Do remember that residual "stuff" from your hot tub will then be left in your dishwasher. As far as the detergent is concerned I am not a fan of bubbles.

I would run the dishwasher through a short cycle to clean it out and also rinse off the filter. Dishwasher detergent is very minimal in the suds department, also the dishwasher rinses it. Just wondering if anyone had tried this.

Hot Springs says their filters are dishwasher safe. They say not to use soap, but just do a rinse cycle, no heat.

I tried this once, seeing some logic in the concept. I first power-washed it off outside to get the disgusting particulate matter out from between the folds of the filter - you don't want that in your dishwasher IMHO. It wouldn't stand up straight sitting on the lower rack, so I leaned it over and started the cycle...bad move, it shifted during the cycle and some folds were permanently "dented in" by the rack at the end.

At that point I decided that this is just a lazy way of cleaning the filter and not worth it. I now just soak it in a good filter cleaner and then power-hose it off. I think the key is to do it frequently enough based upon your tub use. It should coincide with a good "shock/clarifier" dose, given that you are filtering out the oxidized organics in your water...I have less problem with foaming that way.

Hot Springs says their filters are dishwasher safe. They say not to use soap, but just do a rinse cycle, no heat.

I tried this once, seeing some logic in the concept. I first power-washed it off outside to get the disgusting particulate matter out from between the folds of the filter - you don't want that in your dishwasher IMHO. It wouldn't stand up straight sitting on the lower rack, so I leaned it over and started the cycle...bad move, it shifted during the cycle and some folds were permanently "dented in" by the rack at the end.

At that point I decided that this is just a lazy way of cleaning the filter and not worth it. I now just soak it in a good filter cleaner and then power-hose it off. I think the key is to do it frequently enough based upon your tub use. It should coincide with a good "shock/clarifier" dose, given that you are filtering out the oxidized organics in your water...I have less problem with foaming that way.

It seems true that soaking and hosing is just as easy. Part of my interest was that with winter in full force here in CT my outside faucets are turned off. It might just be a freezing weather alternative.