Tub Getting Delivered This Week And Its -30c! Advice?

Rockdoctor26

So I ordered a tub from Costco and it's getting delivered this week and temperatures here in Calgary are -30C...it's supposed to warm up to a balmy -23C on Thursday/Friday when the tub arrives.

Since I'm getting 'curbside delivery' should I talk to one of the dealers about moving the tub to the proper location? I'm not even sure how they would get the tub back there with all the snow...

I have an empty lot to the east of the patio where the tub is going so there is no fence there and the neighbor to the west doesn't have a fence either...but I think there is too much snow to get a truck in there to get the tub to the right spot. If they drop it off on the front sidewalk that would just be bad news!

Also, is this freezing cold weather bad for it since it has no water in it? could there be water in the pipes that is frozen?

I've talked to my electrician and he'll be there when the tub arrives to get it all set up. So should i just plug it in and fill it up and get it going asap?

Thoughts? Advice?

Hmmm, We were supposed to have our tub delivered today. It's now 17 degrees Fahrenheit (-8 C). We cancelled the delivery because of the icy streets.

My dealer said that they will winterize the tub with antifreeze, and everything should be ok until we can fill it and hook electrical up to it. We're going to try again on Wednesday (but it's supposed to snow!)

You may want to call the manufacturer and find out if yours is winterized.

You must have got one of those electrician slash snow removal guys then?

Unless I'm mistaken, it is assumed that you will have the location ready and accesable for the delivery guys and the electrician, who should have done a site inspection prior to the arrival to see if he needs to run a new wire or install a new GFI box, not to mention the slab it will sit on.

I'd put the delivery on hold until you are completely ready rather than have it sit out collecting snow and ice and possibly damaging the pumps and lines.

So I ordered a tub from Costco and it's getting delivered this week and temperatures here in Calgary are -30C...it's supposed to warm up to a balmy -23C on Thursday/Friday when the tub arrives.

Since I'm getting 'curbside delivery' should I talk to one of the dealers about moving the tub to the proper location? I'm not even sure how they would get the tub back there with all the snow...

I have an empty lot to the east of the patio where the tub is going so there is no fence there and the neighbor to the west doesn't have a fence either...but I think there is too much snow to get a truck in there to get the tub to the right spot. If they drop it off on the front sidewalk that would just be bad news!

Also, is this freezing cold weather bad for it since it has no water in it? could there be water in the pipes that is frozen?

I've talked to my electrician and he'll be there when the tub arrives to get it all set up. So should i just plug it in and fill it up and get it going asap?

Thoughts? Advice?

Thoughts? Advice?

Yes that's a great idea! Call a local dealer maybe they will provide a service like we do. Once Costco delivers your new spa on the curb, You can hire us to do the rest. We will show up with a quality name brand spa, clear your snow for you, Put the new spa in place and have the spa wired electrically to code. We will see to it that a permit if required is pulled in your town, and let you know about any addl requirements your town has for a pool or spa.

We will then fill your spa with water and once filled, we will show you the operation and maintenance. Chemicals will be provided and a monthly maintenance schedule will be provided. Your cover, lifter and accys will also be installed and when we leave your only question will be does red or white wine go better with the first tub outing.

When we leave we will take the costco tub away and dispose of it for you also. ;)

But really, all jokes aside, Good luck with your new spa and please let us know how you make out. I am sure you will be fine..

Hey Rockdoctor......I'm kind of in the same boat you are with the temperature thing. I live in Calgary also, and Jacuzzi Calgary is supposed to deliver my tub on the 22nd. I still have the responibility to run the electrical for it, but it's been too freakin cold. Today is about my best bet at -10C........but I think I may hold off til after Christmas. I wanted it in before......but I guess the weather ain't thinkin so.......also, Jacuzzi Calgary is supposed to come by and give a pre-delivery inspection, and I'm guessing they won't deliver it until the weather warms up.

Keep us informed......

Hey Rockdoctor......I'm kind of in the same boat you are with the temperature thing. I live in Calgary also, and Jacuzzi Calgary is supposed to deliver my tub on the 22nd. I still have the responibility to run the electrical for it, but it's been too freakin cold. Today is about my best bet at -10C........but I think I may hold off til after Christmas. I wanted it in before......but I guess the weather ain't thinkin so.......also, Jacuzzi Calgary is supposed to come by and give a pre-delivery inspection, and I'm guessing they won't deliver it until the weather warms up.

Keep us informed......

I'll keep you guys informed...right now I think I'm gonna wait until the second week of Jan to take the delivery. Have a great Xmas/New Years everyone!

Make sure you put a sweatshirt over your T-Shirt, that's what we do here in Northern Minnesota. A little colder and a hat will help also!! Longjohns and a sniffter of brandy if it gets to cold!

Make sure you put a sweatshirt over your T-Shirt, that's what we do here in Northern Minnesota. A little colder and a hat will help also!! Longjohns and a sniffter of brandy if it gets to cold!

Brandy and a sweatshirt is ok,,, But I say go in naked with a little Congac.. ;)

Thoughts? Advice?

My wife and I bought our Costco tub about 2 weeks ago. It sat outside till today when I set it up. It was about -20c. The instructions said to fill with cold water but instead I started with cold then switched to hot when the tub was about 1/2 full. This seemed to work well.

After that I just followed the manual and everything went fine.

Only advice is to dress warm!!!!!