Caldera Niagara Or Geneva

Warp9

Our spa search continues. First, let me thank the posters on this forum. Your knowledge is very valuable, and I know we will end up with a better tub for having read the posts here.

We've wet-tested the Hotsprings Vanguard, the Limelight Flair, and will soon be testing a Caldera Niagra and/or Geneva. I'm very interested in hearing opinions on the Niagara and Geneva models from people who have wet-tested them, and especially from owners.

It's quite amazing what our first wet-tests told us. We didn't think we'd like a lounger, but we happened to like the lounger in the Limelight Flair quite a bit. In fact, we ended up liking the Flair more than the Vanguard, which was very surprising to me, since the Vanguard is the higher-end model. I think the reason we liked the lounger in the Flair was because it is several inches shorter than loungers in other tubs. My wife and I are both about the same height (5'7"), and the large loungers don't work well for us--our feet are usually several inches away from the foot jets.

Now we're looking at the Caldera tubs. I'm drawn to the Niagara because the jets and jet placement look ideal. The half-lounge dual-purpose corner seat also looks interesting, especially since my wife and I aren't that tall. The Euphoria volcano jet looks great, too. Of course I won't know if the tub is comfortable until we wet-test (looks like next week).

The Geneva also looks good, but I expect we might not like the lounger. But who knows--we liked the lounger in the Flair.

So, who's been in a Niagara or a Geneva? Any owners out there want to share opinions? What are your favorite things about these tubs? What do you wish was just a little different?

I happen to think this is an ideal time to buy. With the new 2009 models coming before long, and with the slower economy, it seems like the dealers are really willing to make some great deals to draw in customers. We'll probably wait until after the holidays to buy. But if we find just the right tub at just the right price, who knows. :)

Hi Warp,

I own a 2007 Geneva and really like it. Caldera makes a great tub. As you know, the differences betweent he Niagra and Geneva is the lounger. Only you can make the decison if you would like one or not. The only way to really tell is to wet test.

I've grown to really like my lounger. I had to find the "right" position as not to float, but after a few soaks I found it, and it's one of the more popular seats in the tub. IF you want to maximize seating, then go for the Niagra, if you want to maximize therapy options go for the Geneva. But the bottom line is (from someone who has had loungers and not,) make your decison, and don't loose any sleep over it. When I entertain more than 5 people, ( 10%) the lounger gets in the way. When it's just me and the wife, (90%) The lounger is great.

I've owned a few tubs over the years and what I like about the Geneva is the size. It's a good size tub and can sit 4-5 adults pretty good. I've squeezed over six in there, but that was to much. But compared to smaller, shallower tubs, the Geneva is a nice size. I love the lights. I love the varity of jets, I enjoy the air jets . I also like the dual control panels.

I upgraded to a 5' set of stairs. Which I would recomend for anyone and any tub. The longer, more stable wooden steps are a nice feature over the smaller plastic steps. I also upgraded the cover lifter to the Pro Lifter II and HIGHLY recomend it. It's a great cover lifter and you don't have to snap/unsnap the back buckles.

Ok, what I don't like about the Geneva? Cup holders. I like to have a beer, or wine when I soak and I hate the fact that I don't have a cup holder. I balance my glass on the side and it's ok, but a nice indentiation for my cup would have been nice. I thought I would have also liked the neck jets better, but after a year, I have to say "eh". The big surprise was the air jets, I didn't think I would care one way or the other, yet I've grown to really like them. Espcially so in the summer. I wish Caldera had a floor drain. This means the last 2" of water I need to bail out, not a big deal, but a small nit. I do like the pull out drain tube. That was a clever mod.

you're looking at some great quality tubs, and which ever way you decide I know that you will be happy. Don't sweat the details, wet test, and have fun. ;)

you're looking at some great quality tubs, and which ever way you decide I know that you will be happy. Don't sweat the details, wet test, and have fun. ;)

Sounds like great advice!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. What I'm hoping to experience through our wet tests is an "ah-ha" moment.... That we'll get into the tub and 15 or 20 minutes later just know that this is the tub for us. We need to test a few more tubs, but I didn't really get that feeling with either the Vanguard or the Flair. And I know it's different for everyone.

One of the things really drawing me to these Caldera tubs is what I've read about the strength of the jets. I happen to love powerful jets, especially on my feet and legs. Can't wait to wet-test to see if one of these Caldera models fits the bill!

...One of the things really drawing me to these Caldera tubs is what I've read about the strength of the jets. I happen to love powerful jets, especially on my feet and legs. Can't wait to wet-test to see if one of these Caldera models fits the bill!

Between the diverters and the air and the other doohickeys that mix air with the water, you can really dial in the jets on the Geneva. What i thought was neat was you can divert all the flow to the volcano jet on the floor or the whirlpool jet by the filter. There's a nice variety of them and they are positioned well. That being siad you have to , wet test. and wet test other tubs so you can compare. There's no way around it. I ahve to say I like the pressure from the geneva, but you've got to work the diverters to maximize or minimize the flow.

I think if you stick with a major brand and wet test, you'll be happy in the end. The Watkins line have a great reputation.

One of the things really drawing me to these Caldera tubs is what I've read about the strength of the jets. I happen to love powerful jets, especially on my feet and legs. Can't wait to wet-test to see if one of these Caldera models fits the bill!

I have the Hawaiian and you are right the strength of the jets is impressive. Usually however I partially close the jets I am using. Full blast feels like I'm being punched in the back after 10 minutes. But I guess I would rather have to much power and the the ability to turn it down then a lack of power and no way to turn it up.

• 7 months later...

Just to wrap this thread up, we wet tested a Niagara last week and settled on the Niagara today. We made the purchase and will take delivery as soon as the electric is hooked up, hopefully late next week.

Thank you to everyone on this forum who has contributed to the discussion!

Congrats Warp! I know you've been looking for a while and I hope it was all worth it.

you got a great tub and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

It's a nice time of year to get a tub as you'll get a few water changes in and learn about keeping the water up before the hard winter sets in and you're water care expertise gets more critical (assuming you're in a snow/freeze zone?)

congrats!

Thanks, Trigger. Yes, we're definitely in a "snow/freeze zone". :) It usually hits 30 below zero or colder at least a day or two out of the year.

I plan to do a water change in early or mid-september, and perhaps another just before Thanksgiving time. By then I hope to have water care figured out and I'll hope to make it until early April. But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.... One day at a time.

Thanks, Trigger. Yes, we're definitely in a "snow/freeze zone". :) It usually hits 30 below zero or colder at least a day or two out of the year.

I plan to do a water change in early or mid-september, and perhaps another just before Thanksgiving time. By then I hope to have water care figured out and I'll hope to make it until early April. But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.... One day at a time.

Outdoor Winter soaking is the best. you're gonna love it.

Tyically new owners will need to change thier water out in a month (AKA Chas's law over at the WTBH site). This is becasue of heavy inital use and the learning curve on what works for your tub, your specific water and usage levels. It's not hard, but can take a while until you find out what works best.

I'm in Central MA and I try to get fresh water into the tub as late into the season as I can without risking freeze damage to my pipes or tub. Typically I can hit a warm day in Nov and i'll put fresh water in the tub even if my water is a month or so old. And if I'm lucky I might get a warm day in March that I can do drain and fill. Sometimes too in the winter if it's gets bad, I'll do a partial change out too.

hey...consider picking up and extra filter. it makes water changes easier. you drop the clean one in and soak the other for a few days and wash and rinse at your liesure. you don't have to rush and clean the filter to get it back into the tub.

Good luck! enjoy!

Outdoor Winter soaking is the best. you're gonna love it.

Tyically new owners will need to change thier water out in a month (AKA Chas's law over at the WTBH site). This is becasue of heavy inital use and the learning curve on what works for your tub, your specific water and usage levels. It's not hard, but can take a while until you find out what works best.

I'm in Central MA and I try to get fresh water into the tub as late into the season as I can without risking freeze damage to my pipes or tub. Typically I can hit a warm day in Nov and i'll put fresh water in the tub even if my water is a month or so old. And if I'm lucky I might get a warm day in March that I can do drain and fill. Sometimes too in the winter if it's gets bad, I'll do a partial change out too.

speaking of water change out and maintence consider picking up an extra filter. It's a lot easier to swap in a clean filter and soak and wash the other filter for a few days.

Good luck! enjoy!