Concrete Vs Steel

Supamaki

Hi, I'm taking estimates for an inground free form pool in NY. I'm trying to decide between a concrete walled pool or a steel walled pool. Each place has reasons for what tey use, and both are convincing. Does anyone have any opinons either way??

If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks

Hi, I'm taking estimates for an inground free form pool in NY. I'm trying to decide between a concrete walled pool or a steel walled pool. Each place has reasons for what tey use, and both are convincing. Does anyone have any opinons either way??

Thanks

Personally I would go with steel walls, vinyl liner. In cold climates (like NY) it will hold up better over the years with the freezing and thawing of the ground. With concrete you will have cracking and chipping of the concrete and it will continually need to be repainted.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll preface by saying I'm a dealer in Iowa, so the climate would be similar, either type of pool is going to last you for a long time provided that it is taken care of properly. I would think the primary difference between the two types of pools would be the cost. A concrete pool in my market will be 15K more then a steel walled pool for the same size (16 x 32.) Either type of pool will have maintenance costs down the road. A vinyl liner will need to be replaced every ten years (roughly a good range would be say 7-13 depending on water chemistry.) A concrete pool will need to be repainted or re-plastered every few years, that’s a pain in the ass, and that isn't cheep. A concrete pool tends to be less forgiving due to water chemistry. Good water chemistry is important in either pool, but a concrete pool can etch or scale depending on where your going to keep your PH. Either way is a good way to go, just make sure to pick a good builder, each type of pool will last provided they are built correctly. Good luck with your purchase.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

i've been installing steel ig pools in pa for 15 yrs, they are prob a 1/3 of the cost of a concrete pool,at least the prices in pa. the walls last a min of 30 yrs, liners usally last 12-15 yrs if u maintaing proper water chemistry. concrete has maintinence ,i believe they need to be drained every yr. they can crack,repairs and painting needed quite often. if i can help any more feel free to ask

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

Call me crazy, but I think you are talking about doing a vinly pool, but don't know which way to go on the walls, concrete or steel. I dont' think you are asking should you put a liner pool in or a gunite pool in. is that right?

• 3 months later...

Thanks

Hello. I installed an in ground free form pool in NY. Just to clarify it is a concrete walled pool with a vinyl liner – not an all concrete gunite pool. Here is why we chose concrete over steel.

- I felt that a 4 inch, rebar reinforced concrete wall was stronger than a galvanized steel wall with only a concrete collar poured around the bottom.

- The concrete walls are 4 feet deep, well below the frost line.

- The galvanized steel walls would require cuts in order to shape the walls. They also required holes to be drilled on site for filter returns, lights, etc. Each cut and hole would expose un-galvanized steel to the elements.

- The skimmers on a steel walled pool were just bolted to the pool wall. The skimmers on the concrete wall pool were incased in a column of concrete. I felt this supported the skimmers better and would prevent leaks in the future.

- Our pool deck is made up of pavers. The pavers were laid on a reinforced concrete slab which was tied into the pool wall with rebar. Any future settling of the ground around the pool will not affect the pool deck.

- Our property had slight slope to it (18 inches from one corner of the pool to the other). A steel wall pool would have required retaining wall.

We found that the companies that featured the steel wall pools or charged more for the concrete wall pools did not own their own forms. Several companies had purchased the forms together and shared them. This made scheduling difficult so they tried to push the steel walls. We found a company that owned their own forms and did not charge a premium for the concrete walls.

• 2 months later...