Adding Foam To Exterior Of Hot Tub

DGmarie

I own a 97 Echo model Jacuzzi. It is built down into the deck so that you cannot see the exterior of the tub. You can access it however from under the deck pretty easily as you can walk under the deck area. My spa repair man mentioned it might be a smart idea to wrap the exterior in some foam insulation board (like 2" thick). We live in the freezing midwest so electric costs are a concern. Any thoughts on this? My husband could easily do this project so the cost is minimal. We'd do it in such a way that you could remove the foam board if service was needed. Thoughts?

I own a 97 Echo model Jacuzzi. It is built down into the deck so that you cannot see the exterior of the tub. You can access it however from under the deck pretty easily as you can walk under the deck area. My spa repair man mentioned it might be a smart idea to wrap the exterior in some foam insulation board (like 2" thick). We live in the freezing midwest so electric costs are a concern. Any thoughts on this? My husband could easily do this project so the cost is minimal. We'd do it in such a way that you could remove the foam board if service was needed. Thoughts?

Addding insulation to any hot tub is a great idea. In your case a really great idea.

At Home Depot they have a Thermal bubble insullation wrap, it has foil on both sides with small air bubbles inside. It comes in Rolls 16" wide or 24" wide. It is very effective, and it would be easy to wrap around, you might look at that. I think insulating would be a good Idea.

Thanks everyone!

We purchased 2" insulation board and wrapped it all around the tub. It took about two hours to do. I think it looks pretty good, neat and even. We'll see how it affects energy but I guess it can't hurt. I think the R factor is something like 8-10. We have a cover, too, and I saw an place online where you can buy closed cell foam for $12 a yard (36" x 60" wide roll). This is the same material as used in thermal blankets (no dissolving, not absorbing). This is much cheaper than what you buy pre cut and packaged from spa places. It is the same material. I plan to use it for a thermal blanket under the lid. I think that's about all I can do to insulate this thing!

Thanks everyone!

We purchased 2" insulation board and wrapped it all around the tub. It took about two hours to do. I think it looks pretty good, neat and even. We'll see how it affects energy but I guess it can't hurt. I think the R factor is something like 8-10. We have a cover, too, and I saw an place online where you can buy closed cell foam for $12 a yard (36" x 60" wide roll). This is the same material as used in thermal blankets (no dissolving, not absorbing). This is much cheaper than what you buy pre cut and packaged from spa places. It is the same material. I plan to use it for a thermal blanket under the lid. I think that's about all I can do to insulate this thing!

So -

Share the link for the foam blankets already!!!

So -

Share the link for the foam blankets already!!!

http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html

Volara - Closed Cell Foam by the Yard

Ideal for hot tub covers, acoustic insulation and more. Volara's squishy texture allows rolling for easy shipping. Volara comes in a white or a charcoal color. Currently only the 1/4 inch thickness is available in both colors, but charcoal can be ordered in other thicknesses by special arrangement. This product comes on a roll 60 inches (152 cm) wide and is sold by continuous whole yards (91 cm) only.

1/4" closed cell foam is $12.70 per yard. With shipping one yard is like $19. Half inch is $25 a yard plus shipping.