Dichlor Or Mps?

dcp

Gotcha. I'm one of those that is going to use the bleach method. I'm kind of a slave to the numbers right now, but I'm dedicated to getting it right. So since I'm willing to put in the effort, I think this method is for me. I want my investment to last! B)

I'm sure you'll have no trouble using bleach, just as everyone else I know who is using it, online and off. However, don't make the mistake of thinking it's more effort. You'll actually be putting in less effort, because you won't be trying to fix water problems.

People buying a hot tub should know there is a learning curve to maintaining the water, just like maintaining a car. I see a problem where a lot of dealers (not all) are selling tubs to people who if they knew all that it takes to maintain the water, they wouldn't have bought it. If dealers (and the industry in general) would just teach people the correct way to use the different methods, they might have less customers, but their customers would have a lot less problems with their water and they would be much happier.

So true.

On a fresh fill, I shock mine to FC 12 ppm, and then let the jets/air run for a couple hours before covering. Not ideal, but I'm hoping to cut down on cover damage. The ideal would be to have a little kit that adds the correct amount of CYA and Borates. Not only would it eliminate overchlorination issues, but it would simplify the process. I'm sold.

Until those packets are available, I may just buy that Liquid CYA for $20 a gal. I'm running low on Dichlor anyway. According to the directions, 3 oz will give you ~30 ppm in a 320 gal tub. That's ~40 water changes, or ~10 years. How long does this stuff last?

I heard back from the inventor and he says the shelf life should be about one year from the date of purchase. Even if it lasted 2 years, it's not particularly economical. Nevertheless, he responded to Natrual Chemistry on possibly creating a smaller version of this product for spa use and also possibly having a starter kit with both CYA and borates (pH balanced, so mostly boric acid, but with some Borax as well). So maybe you'll get what you are looking for -- some day (these things don't happen quickly).

I heard back from the inventor and he says the shelf life should be about one year from the date of purchase. Even if it lasted 2 years, it's not particularly economical. Nevertheless, he responded to Natrual Chemistry on possibly creating a smaller version of this product for spa use and also possibly having a starter kit with both CYA and borates (pH balanced, so mostly boric acid, but with some Borax as well). So maybe you'll get what you are looking for -- some day (these things don't happen quickly).

Wow! Ask and you shall receive. That's what I'm takin' bout.

Next time you talk to him, ask if they'll call it "The Nitro Kit" with tagline "Jump Start Your Spa Water". :lol:

I just got another update that the shelf life should actually be at least 2 years (there's a preservative in the product). So perhaps you'll be able to use that gallon for years to come after all or can share it with fellow spa users in your area.