Need Help With Itch Problem

William

I've been battling an itch problem for the last 2 years and I'm hoping someone here can help me get to the bottom of it.

We've had a Hot Springs 350 gal. tub for 3 years now. Our dealer put us on bromine using SpaGuard products and for the first 18 months I had no problem with the tub. Then I began to experience the itch.

I believe, based on a link provided by Chem Geek (http://apsp.org/APSPRWQE-news/Jan16/rash.htm) that my itch is chemical related and not bacterial (itch occurs within 4 hours of using the tub and lasts for a week). The irritation is localized to my elbows and lower calfs. My wife and two children have no issues at all.

Here is what I've tried and my current chemistry:

- SoftSoak (biguanide) works (no itch) but I can't stand the maintenance, the brown goo, and the fact that I can't use the jets without coughing.

- I don't seem to itch from using public spas or pools.

- Based on the above, I tried using chlorine but have the same itch problems.

- Our water is very hard (50+ grains). The good news is I have an iron filter on the water system. But a fresh fill starts with a TDS of 1800!

- TA is between 80 and 120 and I keep my pH between 7.2 and 7.6.

- I shock weekly with SpaGuard Enhanced Shock (sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione) and add SpaGuard Chlorinating Concentrate (sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate) as needed to keep between 1-3ppm.

- I've tried higher and lower chlorine levels with no change in itchiness.

- My dealer suggested Nature2 and I've added it about two weeks ago after a fresh fill. I've tried to maintain my chlorine levels as some have suggested on this forum; that is, to add 1tsp chlorine for each person after leaving the tub. Testing the next day shows near 0ppm chlorine but I still itch after leaving the tub.

- Through all this, the tub has been clean and clear.

Any ideas on what to try next? I really want to stick to chlorine for it's ease of use. But if I can't figure this out, I may need to go back to SoftSoak (yuck!).

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill

I had that itch and it turned out it was the bromine that I was having the reaction to. To get rid of the itch you can buy a medicated body wash at the pharmacy, I will look at home for you tonight for the name, once you use it the itch stops. The pharmacist told me it removes the chemicals that are still in your pores that you don't get rid of with normal showering. That might be why you are still itching. We switched to the Pro Clear system in the hot tub and now I have no more itching. Hope that helps you somewhat. I know I scratched till I bled somedays.

Some people with exema have itching issues also and it happens from just the hot water. Do these places itch after soaking in a hot bath, or using a sauna.

If thats the case, you will have to try to see what chemicals are the least irritating. Have you tried the low chlorine N2 recipe...MPS at each use and dichlor as needed to keep a .5 risdual. It may or may not help because some people are sensitive to MPS also.

I had the same problem when I first started using hot tubs. I didn't have the itches when I used public pools either, nor did I have it when I just took a bath in a bath tub. I also didn't have it when I used the hot tub with brand new water. I just had it after the tub had been used a few times. Also, just like what you mentioned, other people didn't have the problem either but they didn't use the tub as much as I did.

I went to the dermotoligist and he said it was exema and gave me some stuff to clear it up. I found that the only way to keep the itch and the little bumps away was to not use the tub as much. I tried bromine and chlorine and had the itch with both.

joanne...: Thanks, I'd be interested in knowing more about this medicated wash. I shower after each soak but this doesn't seem to help.

Hillbilly...: I haven't specifically used MPS, but as I mentioned in my orginal note, I recently added a Nature2, letting the chlorine go low and and add 1tsp per soaker after each use. I'll try and find some MPS and give this a go.

Bill

Hillbilly...: I forgot to answer your other question. Again, as I mention in my orginal post, I can use public spas with no issue. I take the kids weekly to the local YMCA and they have pool and hot tub. We'll swim in the chlorinated pool for an hour and then soak in the hot tub for another 15 minutes before going home and I never have an issue with this.

Bill

Bill,

I don't believe it's Chlorine causing your itch. If you can handle public pools and spas with high doses of chlorine, (w/ no CYA) you can handle a private hot tub with minimal dosages.

If it were me I would deep clean your tub and start over. If you really want to start over, do the following.

1. Use a Spa Flush to flush your pipes. Run jets for an hour, let it sit overnight and drain.

2. Refill your tub with fresh water.

3. Add 1/2 Gal of bleach. Run Jets for 30 min and then drain again.

4. Refill your tub with fresh water.

5. Balance your water.

6. Shock with Dichlor to 12 ppm (2 TBS). Run jets for 30min, cover and let it sit for a day.

7. Check your FC. If it's = 0 ppm goto step 3. If it's between 1 and 6 goto step 6

8. Wait for FC to fall to 3-5 ppm after a day or two, and use the tub.

9. Go here and read how to properly maintain your tub using Bleach.

If you want to try Nature2 in the future you can, but I would not rely on Nature2 alone if you have more than you and your wife using your tub. In which case you need a very effective Sanitizer/Oxidizer, and Chlorine is the best. You can use MPS to help Oxidize bather waste also, but I wouldn't start using it until you can properly maintain your tub using just Chlorine, which is very easy to do.

joanne...: Thanks, I'd be interested in knowing more about this medicated wash. I shower after each soak but this doesn't seem to help.

Hillbilly...: I haven't specifically used MPS, but as I mentioned in my orginal note, I recently added a Nature2, letting the chlorine go low and and add 1tsp per soaker after each use. I'll try and find some MPS and give this a go.

Bill

Hi Bill

The body wash is called Tersaseptic Skin Cleanser and Shampoo. It is an antibacterial, but it used for lots of different things and removing chemicals from the body is one of them. As soon as I used it, it was like instant relief. Up to that point I was scratching until I bled. It was horrible. I tried antihistamines, and all they did was knock me out when mixed with my other meds. This worked great! Good luck getting rid of the itchiness.

Jo

Nitro: Thanks for the information. Do you think it's bacterial? I guess it could be but it doesn't sound right. It's the same 4 spots that itch every time (each elbow & each ankle) and no one else in the family is having the problem. Nevertheless, I'm willing to try anything at this point.

I did a search for "Spa Flush" but didn't find anything conclusive. Can you point me to where I may find this?

Thanks again,

Bill

Nitro: Thanks for the information. Do you think it's bacterial? I guess it could be but it doesn't sound right. It's the same 4 spots that itch every time (each elbow & each ankle) and no one else in the family is having the problem. Nevertheless, I'm willing to try anything at this point.

I did a search for "Spa Flush" but didn't find anything conclusive. Can you point me to where I may find this?

Thanks again,

Bill

Hi Bill

Mine wasn't bacterial, but the body wash helped alot. The pharmacist told me that the chemicals stayed on the skin even after showering, and this wash removed them, and it was amazing, I stopped itching right away, just had a couple of stubborn spots, but I was covered everywhere. If I even put my arm into the water, I broke out in more itchy spots. It was horrible.

You might be able to give a sample of your water to the local health dept. and have them culture it out. That way you'll have confirmation on whether or not you have a bacterial issue.

Either way though, I think starting over with fresh water might be a good idea.

ETA: We DID have a bacterial issue, my DH had it very badly, my kids only minor, and I had no symptoms of the itch at all. But we most certainly had a bad issue in the water. Decontamination and refill has stopped it.

If you have a rash from a hot tub it's probably a form of folliculitis and to prevent this I would use more santizer. Chlorine, bromine or whatever you use. It's a bacterial infection that only a sanitizer can prevent

It is very rare that people get the true folliculitis from bacteria, and all would most likly have it. You do not need more sanitizer, just keep the risdual where it belongs. More sanitizer or high levels will make itching increase. I am going through the same thing right now, have had a tub for 9 years, work with the chemicals all the time and all of a sudden I have itchy patches. It turns out to be excema which Bromine and Chlorine make worse, so I have gone back to a low chlorine/Nature 2 route and all is getting better so far. I am using a cram for the dry spots.

I'm in the same boat as you, Hillbilly. I've gone back to the N2 low chlorine recipe and

my itching has pretty much gone away. MPS is more expensive and will increase my TDS levels quicker with 3-4 tsp of the stuff after a soak, but

I don't have to worry so much about CYA. I still add a little bit of dichlor here and there to keep the FC level barely above zero and then it seems like I don't have to shock it as

often either.

I am going through the same thing right now, have had a tub for 9 years, work with the chemicals all the time and all of a sudden I have itchy patches. It turns out to be excema which Bromine and Chlorine make worse, so I have gone back to a low chlorine/Nature 2 route and all is getting better so far. I am using a cram for the dry spots.

The difference is William can use public pools and spas, with much higher chlorine levels with no issue. Whatever is causing his itch, is in his tub only.