D1 Owners, Question About Water Change And Vision Cartridge

hoopy

How often are you guys changing your water? I know it depends on usage, and mine is like 1 or 2 times a week. I was told every 6 months but if usage is down, can that be stretched? Also, how long before you are changing your Vision cartridge? Again, I know it depends on usage, but instead of the recommended 6 months, can this be stretched too? Thanks.

How often are you guys changing your water? I know it depends on usage, and mine is like 1 or 2 times a week. I was told every 6 months but if usage is down, can that be stretched? Also, how long before you are changing your Vision cartridge? Again, I know it depends on usage, but instead of the recommended 6 months, can this be stretched too? Thanks.

I'm assuming you mean you're changing water 1-2 times a year; not per week! I'm not a D1 owner, so I can't comment on the Vison cartridge.

I'm assuming you mean you're changing water 1-2 times a year; not per week! I'm not a D1 owner, so I can't comment on the Vison cartridge.

You should change your water when the TDS (total disolved solids) reaches 2500ppm. depending on how much you sweat or the level of TDS in your fill water or the amount of chemicals you use this could be anywhere from 3 to 9 months in most cases.

Your VISION cartridge should be changed evry 6 months regardless of usage. the VISION cartidge should be placed on the filter that feeds the circ pump and will be in contact with flowing water even when the spa is not being used.

I get between 4-5 months of use out of water. As it has been said up to this point, it depends on usage, and when I start to have problems keeping the water balanced, I change it. I was not aware of the total disolved solids test (how do you test for that ?). I'm on my 3 water fill of a D1 Californian since Nov 2005.

Anyways, whenever I change my water, I change the vision cartridge. I prefer to have best water possible if I am going to change the water.

There has been a lot of good advice from people in our industry and customers. It's great to see positive reslults. Also, be sure to add Spa Metal Gone when refilling your spa, but, BE SURE to keep the Visions Cartridge out 48 hours after you add it. Enjoy your spa. Ain't it great!!

Thanks again for the great info. I do have a place where I can take my water to get tested that is fairly close. I will have to get that down ASAP. My dealer did tell me this though, when I drain it to change the water, only drain it about 3/4's of the way, leaving 1/4 water in it. Then refill it and use the Metal Gon. He said this will help prevent any air locks that would occur if the water was completely drained. What do you all think of this? Good or bad advice?

Thanks again for the great info. I do have a place where I can take my water to get tested that is fairly close. I will have to get that down ASAP. My dealer did tell me this though, when I drain it to change the water, only drain it about 3/4's of the way, leaving 1/4 water in it. Then refill it and use the Metal Gon. He said this will help prevent any air locks that would occur if the water was completely drained. What do you all think of this? Good or bad advice?

It is very hard to guess where '1/4' of a spa's volume would be. I have used 3" as about 25% when telling folks how to mix stuff. That means that the very top 3" is about 25% of the volume of the water.

If I wanted to drain my spa, I would drain it. Once I have refilled it, I would check for airlock and deal with it. If it became a problem every time I drained, I would either find an easy way to bleed the pumps, or I would find the lowest level I could drain to and stop there.

But then I would drain more often, knowing that I am not getting as much water out as I would like, while at the same time realizing that if all we are talking about is 6" in the bottom of the footwell it's not really much water.

I suppose if you wanted to you could drain down to whatever point the dealer shows you, and then run the garden hose in as you drain water out - to sort of dilute the remaining water.

B)

You should change your water when the TDS (total disolved solids) reaches 2500ppm. depending on how much you sweat or the level of TDS in your fill water or the amount of chemicals you use this could be anywhere from 3 to 9 months in most cases.

Your VISION cartridge should be changed evry 6 months regardless of usage. the VISION cartidge should be placed on the filter that feeds the circ pump and will be in contact with flowing water even when the spa is not being used.

Judging TDS will come to most tub owners over time without testing your water. I just know when mine is at a point where I need a water change. Its a feel, or more like a feeling. The water gets sluggish, for lack of a better term. The bubbles don't come to the top as quickly, the water doesn't clear up as fast after you have had the jets on high, the balance struggles a bit to stay put. You may think this is a very unsienitific way to test TDS and you would be correct but, I tested for TDS for a few years before it hit me and I was right on.