Does Your Spa Cover Match The Siding?

roegs

We ordered taupe as the exterior color for our new Artesian spa. When it arrived, the steps and spa siding both matched, but the cover is a color of brown that does not even come close to matching. Even the delivery person said it did not look correct. The dealer says this is the color that Artesian uses for taupe, and that often times covers and siding don't match. Is this true? We're at the point where we'd like to ask the dealer to either order a cover that has a closer match, or swap siding and cover to redwood (swap with one on their floor).

... and that often times covers and siding don't match. Is this true?

Yes, that is true. Covers and siding do not typically normally come with the exact same color. The idea is to get two colors that compliment each other. If you tried to match exactly you'd never get it quite right and two almost matching colors often look odd. Typical colors matches are brownish cover with redwood siding, dark grey cover with light/mid grey siding, etc. In theory I'd think a brown cover would look good with Taupe siding but maybe its not the best shade of brown for that spa siding. I'd go to the dealer and see what cover colors they have to see which looks best.

We ordered taupe as the exterior color for our new Artesian spa. When it arrived, the steps and spa siding both matched, but the cover is a color of brown that does not even come close to matching. Even the delivery person said it did not look correct. The dealer says this is the color that Artesian uses for taupe, and that often times covers and siding don't match. Is this true? We're at the point where we'd like to ask the dealer to either order a cover that has a closer match, or swap siding and cover to redwood (swap with one on their floor).

As a customer purchasing a new spa it may just be a matter of Customer Satisfaction. I think if you lived in a northern climate you might benefit from some solar heating effects from a darker colored cover, so matching the sides may not be the only criteria for color choice. Realize your choice may have been based on inventory of covers back at your Dealer, and in that way was not so much a "choice".

I do get your point, I mean you don't wanna look like a whiney freak worrying about something *no one* else would worry about, but a good dealer will truly want you to be happy after giving him 8+ grand of your hard earned cash. A business person's worst nightmare is the customer who complains to everybody but him. Nothing is more important that a top quality cover...uhmmm and mine matches. Get happy, and give your guy a chance to make it so. Many sizes are standard and he may have another brand cover that matches... even if it's another hundred bucks. Remember you're gonna be looking at it ALOT, and it protects your spa when your dumb@ss brother-in-law comes over with his big@ss dogs and you go out to the spa to find the dogs standing on top of your spa cover... sigh

;-) Bo "They'll have to pry my spa from my pale, wrinkled, dead fingers..." Darc

Thanks much for the responses. As Dr Spa mentioned, I found out that Artesian only uses the 4 colors of covers. In our case the taupe spa (somewhat of a darker brown) was shipped with an Oxen cover. In my case, the Oxen color reminds me of inexpensive Samsonite soft sided luggage of years back and just does not appeal to me at all. As I mentioned in my earlier post, even the delivery guy said it was kind of an odd combination.

Since my first post, we went back to Watson’s to see what our options might be. The tune sure changed at Watsons since we originally placed the order. I calmly explained our issue along with some possible options to the manager (who happened to be the sales manager for their 5 state region), and he told me that’s the way Artesian ships them, and there was nothing that he was about to do about it. Swapping sides for another color was absolutely out of the question, as no two tubs have exactly the same measurements. When I showed him my receipt, which specifically spells out a taupe cover, he mentioned that Oxen is as close as Artesian gets, and that the conversation is now over. No options other than me paying full price for a new cover or new siding. Fortunately the service manager happened to be there also, and was much more willing to work with us. He is checking to see what it might cost to re-skin the cover.

B0Darc…I can only wish our dealer was a little more interested to work with us as you mentioned. I’m generally pretty easy to work with, and even offered to assist with some of the costs. As you pointed out, most of the time that I’ll be looking at the spa will be with the cover on. My hope now is that the service manager, who was great to talk to, will be able to possibly work something with Artesian.

Well it sounds like Dr. Spa's answer did you the most good... that's why he's the Dr. It's good to know that in fact Artesian only offers 4 color covers, especially going back to the dealer and hearing him tell you that later on... makes it easier to believe. Business is tough all around these days and profit margins are lean... customer service goes first. If he takes it back and gives you another cover then he has to give the cover you used for X-number of days to some other guy... translation now it just may be true to say he sells used covers as new... he can't really do that.

Try living with it for a few weeks and the feeling of "blah... Samsonite-Oxen" may pass. Stress is bad... and you just bought a hot tub to relax. Mix up something frosty and cold, sip whilst in your new spa, and decide ...then act on your decision. If the money doesn't matter just pay the guy to recover it and chalk it up to the cost of making yourself happy.... I mean Artesian doesn't offer one, so... what? I hear ya though! receipt said taupe cover... sigh

Most spa manufacturers only offer a couple of colors. In fact, a lot are only offering brown and grey. I have always thought it was odd that Artesian insisted on that Oxen when their cabinets are closer to our Parchment. Maybe they are trying to use Oxen to cover two cabinet colors. What are they telling you guys Doc?

Well it sounds like Dr. Spa's answer did you the most good... that's why he's the Dr. It's good to know that in fact Artesian only offers 4 color covers, especially going back to the dealer and hearing him tell you that later on... makes it easier to believe. Business is tough all around these days and profit margins are lean... customer service goes first. If he takes it back and gives you another cover then he has to give the cover you used for X-number of days to some other guy... translation now it just may be true to say he sells used covers as new... he can't really do that.

Try living with it for a few weeks and the feeling of "blah... Samsonite-Oxen" may pass. Stress is bad... and you just bought a hot tub to relax. Mix up something frosty and cold, sip whilst in your new spa, and decide ...then act on your decision. If the money doesn't matter just pay the guy to recover it and chalk it up to the cost of making yourself happy.... I mean Artesian doesn't offer one, so... what? I hear ya though! receipt said taupe cover... sigh

Good advice from BoDarc. However, the dealer really should do something about it. Our hot tub was driftwood with a grey cover and the cover is just a little darker. They look good together. If you're not happy, they need to do something. I know it's just the cover of the hot tub, but you'll be looking at it for quite some time.

I hope all works out well.

Anne(happy owner of a new hot tub)

You can always paint it the color you want with a vinyl spray. They come in a lot of colors and wear quite well. I've used them on car seats, it doesn't come off.

Dave