Do I Need A Gfci?

Duck Man

My main breaker is only about 12 feet from where my hot tub is going to be. Do I still need to install a GFCI in between the breaker and the tub? It seems kind of sensless. Also do I need to ground any metal support that I may put in my cement slab such as rebar?

The GFCI should go in your main breaker box unless your spa comes with it's own disconnect with GFCI breakers in it. If it is within 50' and within sight of the breaker box you would not need a second means of disconnect.

My main breaker is only about 12 feet from where my hot tub is going to be. Do I still need to install a GFCI in between the breaker and the tub? It seems kind of sensless. Also do I need to ground any metal support that I may put in my cement slab such as rebar?

You need a GFCI, but as far as the position and if they accept the GFCI in the house panel is up to the local building officials.

The GFCI is to protect you from electricity in the spa water.

I know of a fellow who had his spa in his garage, with no GFCI and a hodge podge spa. He told me that ever time he stepped out of the spa he felt this tingling sensation in his testicles. I asked him if he was suicidal. I got him to purchase a UL listed heater and put in a GFCI.

Yes you still need a GFCI ant time you are dealing with water and electrice you need one. yes you also need rebar or wire mesh, this keeps your slab from cracking with all the weight.