# Of Gallons A Big Deal?

Yunus

Hi all,

I'm new here and going to be purchasing my first Hot tub/spa in the next couple months. One question I have not seen as I search through the boards is about the gallon size of a given tub. Is it a big deal? I'm looking at a tub for 4 people to comfortably fit in so I'm looking in the 5/6 capacity range and I have seen everything from 270 gallons up to 540 gallons for what appears to me to be similar sized tubs. What gives here? I'm 6' tall but my wife is 5'8 will she have trouble staying above the water line in a 500 gallon tub? Will my electric bill be much higher with a larger gallon tub?

Just to give you an example of what I am looking at. I have researched the HotSprings Envoy, the Dynasty Oceana and a Coleman which I forget the model and a Thermospa (which after reading this board I have knocked off my list).

I'm in the early stages and a wet test is a must for me before I buy but just thought I would ask you all about this so I can go to the stores with some independent knowledge.

Thanks!

I'm looking at a tub for 4 people to comfortably fit in so I'm looking in the 5/6 capacity range and I have seen everything from 270 gallons up to 540 gallons for what appears to me to be similar sized tubs. What gives here? I'm 6' tall but my wife is 5'8 will she have trouble staying above the water line in a 500 gallon tub? Will my electric bill be much higher with a larger gallon tub?

1) I don't know that you can trust all the claims of # of gallons so if it seems that two are alike but one claims noticeably more gallons I understand. You rarely hear about gallons because it is not something you need to worry about.

2) Women who are short can have issues and especially is spas with lounges but your wife is hardly short. The issue I'd worry most about is a lounge in a bigger type spa because lounges don't work for everyone, not matter the spa size or person's height.

3) All things being equal, a larger spa will cost more to operate. However, I'd worry much more about how well the spa insulates. A well insulated big spa will cost less to run than a small poorly insulated spa.

And, torso length is more important that overall height. Even given "normal proportions", leg length = torso length, sitting down you'd only differ from your wife by 2".

I'm 6' and once dated a 5' 7" woman with such short legs that sitting in the hot tub, I'd be up to my neck in water, and her shoulders were well out of the water.