Extended Filter Service Intervals

We've been using a vertical grid DE filter for our pool for years, but it has cracked and is leaking. It needs to be replaced and I'm considering my options. Due to a busy travel schedule, I am available to service the filter only once every two or three months. Unfortunately, there is no one else who is able to do this. (You'll have to trust me on this.)

I've never used a sand filter, but have heard that they are very easy to maintain. Unfortunately, I don't think they will provide the level of filtration we are used to with our current DE filter.

A neighbor suggested that I might try a cartridge filter saying that they are very trouble-free. I am concerned, thought, that they may require more frequent attention than I am able to provide. I've had people quote me service intervals for cartridge filters ranging anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. What's the right answer here?

What is the best type of filter for extended service intervals?

We've been using a vertical grid DE filter for our pool for years, but it has cracked and is leaking. It needs to be replaced and I'm considering my options. Due to a busy travel schedule, I am available to service the filter only once every two or three months. Unfortunately, there is no one else who is able to do this. (You'll have to trust me on this.)

I've never used a sand filter, but have heard that they are very easy to maintain. Unfortunately, I don't think they will provide the level of filtration we are used to with our current DE filter.

A neighbor suggested that I might try a cartridge filter saying that they are very trouble-free. I am concerned, thought, that they may require more frequent attention than I am able to provide. I've had people quote me service intervals for cartridge filters ranging anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. What's the right answer here?

What is the best type of filter for extended service intervals?

You want a sand filter. Oversize it will also help with reduced attention. Yes it is true the sand filters out the least of the other types, But with good sand like Mystic White Brand it will keep the water clean.

everyone has their prefferences. I personally will only run a D.E. filter. I only run 60sqft (regardless of the size of your pool). Your average pool usually needs 3 - 4 filter cleanings a year. But there is no certain times inbetween filter cleanings, it all depends on the amount of dirt & leaves that blown into your pool and how often the pool is used (especially if you use tanning oils, sun blocks, etc... these are te #1 causes of filter clogging) (BTW: algae is another huge factor in your grids getting clogged) I try to only sell Jandy & Pentair products at my store. I think Jandy has the upper hand in modern-day design & function. They are super easy to take apart (ratchet w/ a 9/16 socket & a bottle of soap to lube your O-rings, and thats all you need). They also have big handles on the lids (people are known to use the gauge as a handle, which often breaks off in their hands & the threads stay in the filter lid)...

you might want to try to elliminate as much debris from around the pool... for example: if there is dirt - try to grow grass or throw down any type of ground cover. this helps elliminate dust from blowing in the pool. Also trim any trees, etc...