Gunite Pool Contractor In Pa Or Fiberglass

Philly

Anyone know of a quality Gunite Pool Contractor in or around Philadelphia, PA. I also don't know whether I should go Fiberglass or Gunite?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated I know nothing about pools. We use to go under the fire hydrants in the summer.

The choice between gunite and fiberglass is clear. Fiberglass pools require far less weekly maintenance, sixty to seventy percent less chemicals, and will last 50 years or more. Fiberglass pools will need new gelcoat after about 20 to 30 years, depending upon the manufacturer.

Gunite pools are finished with plaster (marcite) which is porous and must be brushed down thoroughly twice a day for the first two weeks. Failure to do so will negate whatever warranty you think you have. The builder's excuse will be that there is "too much calcium" in the water. Of course, they do not tell you about the brushing when you purchase the pool. Nevertheless, the pool will look nice for about 10 years, if the chemicals are kept in balance. Then the problems will begin, starting with staining, algae, and the need for acid washing on an annual basis. Within fifteen to eighteen years, the pool will need re-plastering, then every four to five years thereafter.

Other than Anthony&Sylvan, who are notorious for not completing the project until the summer is over, no matter when you bought, or when they promised, I am not aware of any other builder I can recommend in the Philadelphia Metro Area (where I reside).

San Juan Pools, America's oldest and largest fiberglass pool manufacturer, is the only fiberglass swimming pool I can recommend, because they build the best pool, and they have the lowest number of installation problems.

My recommendation is unbiased because I am not in the "new" pool business, and neither of these organizations know I exist. Moreover, I am in the swimming pool restoration business, so my opinions are based on nearly 20 years of resurfacing every type of swimming pool including, gunite, concrete, fiberglass, block, and wood. Good luck with your new pool. -Bill Nash

We went with a blue hawaiian fiberglass pool and love it. Perfect install, best equipment. It is finished without a problem. Looks exactly like a concrete pool. Blue Hawaiian has not had a firm dealer in the s.e. pa market until now. The pool is superior to the rest. The Groundskeerper Inc did the complete job and did not sub anything out. They did there own excavation, have a crane in their fleet (job was not rushed), have their own electrician and did their own stamped concrete. Was the only true "turn key" quote i got. Everything from the planning to the clean up was as expected. I recived a lot of quotes on concrete and fiberglass and this seemed the best way to go. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like I am going with the fiberglass. Couple of questions I have I hope someone can answer though.

1. Should the fiberglass pool be back filled with sand or 3/4" stone?

2. Should I have a french drain installed around the pool?

Depends on the manufacturer. My Viking fiberglass pool (love it!) Had pea gravel. French drain depends on the slope going to the pool. If in doubt, installl the drain. it can't hurt.

Make sure you see the particular pool model before you settle on one. The only complaint I have is the width of my pool at the deep end....

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know of a quality Gunite Pool Contractor in or around Philadelphia, PA. I also don't know whether I should go Fiberglass or Gunite?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated I know nothing about pools. We use to go under the fire hydrants in the summer.

Anthony & Sylvan does!

We've been builing pools in the Philadelphia area for more than 6 decades! We're familiar with the requirements and we build a great swimming pool. Our talented Design Consultants are prepared to measure the yard accurately, help you with your design ideas and price the pool out for you on-site. Anthony & Sylvan has been doing it since 1946 and our experience and expertise literally drive thousands of referrals every year - many of which are right here in the Philadelphia area.

Call us at 877-SAY-SWIM and we'll come out and see you.

Tom Casey

VP Sales

Anthony & Sylvan Pools

He said "quality" pool builder, Tom.

Snide remarks are not the function of this forum, at least I do not believe they are. This makes 2 in this same short thread.

Anthony/Sylvan sells and supervises the construction of an excellent gunite pool. My only complaint, based on my own experience in 1979 with Anthony Pools, combined with the experiences of numerous other buyers as stated in several forums, is the long delay from start to finish.

With that said, based on my own personal experience in the pool resurfacing industry, I must recommend fiberglass pools. The only exception is the need (or desire) for a "wide swimming pool". Fiberglass pools of high quality are limited to 15'8" width, including the 4" lip around the pool.

Backfill: 3/4" stone is not the answer. Sand is definitely preferable.

French Drain: In the pool industry, a "french drain" refers to a pit dug below where the pool's bottom drain will sit after the pool is lowered into position. This is an essential part of the installation of every fiberglass pool, unless you reside in the desert. Never, never, permit any installer to omit this step. Further, insist that the pvc pipe from the french drain runs all the way to the pump and filter area. I hope you enjoy your pool. -Bill

• 7 months later...