Sundance Optima - No Ozone Bubbles

fdegree

-- 2007 Sundance Optima --

I am assuming the ozone has stopped working since I don't see any bubbles now. But, I know very little about ozone and how it functions.

I am fairly handy and repair many things, on my own, all the time. But, I'm not sure where to start with this. According to the purchasing documents, it has CD ozone...if that helps.

If anyone has any input as to what to look for and how to check it, I would certainly appreciate it.

Is there water coming out of the ozone jet? It should have bubbles even if the ozone chip has failed because it should be sucking in air. To check to see if the chip has failed, you need to look under the cabinet at the ozone generator when it is in a filter cycle and see if it is glowing purple, but even if it has failed you have another issue happening if there is no air being pulled through.

Thanks Hillbilly. I posted this, here in the chemistry section, by mistake, I then posted it in the spa section and got resolution to the bubble issue...cleaned the check valves. But, I was not aware of the possible chip problem. I just assumed if there were bubbles then there is ozone. I now have plenty of bubbles, but don't know if they include ozone. I will have to check the chip and see if there is a problem with that.

Thanks again!!!

I would check it since I see in the other forum your lines were blocked. This causes the ozone to back up since it can not go anywhere and does burn up the chips. You may see a lot of goopy yellow stuff in the beginning of the ozone line.

Forgive me if this becomes hard to follow, but I have to describe what I have since I can't seem to locate my wifes digital camera.

The ozone generator that I have is:

Spa Necessities

OZ-2-2

CD Ozone Generator

Under the cover is:

-- circuit board in the lower right corner

-- transformer in the lower left corner

-- cylindrical device with air in and out ports in the upper right corner

-- black box with a plastic heat sink and red "button" (for lack of a better term) in the upper left corner.

I am assuming the black box with the red "button" is what you are referring to as the chip, and this red "button" is most likely the light you are referring to. If I am correct, this light appears to be slightly deformed (almost like it has melted ever so slightly) with tiny clear bubbles inside the red "crystal". This light does not light-up when the ozone generator is running. But, the cylindrical device does hum.

The inside of the output port, on the cylindrical device, has a little white residue in it, and the tube that connects to this port has a little bit of white scale inside of it near this connection. But, no yellow goo.

I hope I described this well enough for you to follow...pictures would be so much better.

Any thoughts?

Hillbilly, I've been reading the MRSA thread...sorry to hear about your son. Hope everything turns out OK. Glad to hear he is getting better. Keep us posted.

The Spa Necessities ozonator you have is one of the Sundance/Jacuzzi OEM CD ozonators. These do not have chips that need to be replaced. They last 5 - 7 years and then throw away. The tubing will develop a white to yellowish color. This is normal. Lack of bubbles generally indicates a blockage...usually the check valve/valves. The ozonator is operating if it is humming. Like all ozonators, there is no real easy way to tell how much ozone it is actually producing.