Shock Caused Dark Stains On Pool Bottom

the_scum1

Ok so it has rained a lot so I just went out and sprinkled some shock around the pool perimeter. Soon as I finished I looked around and wherever the shock touched the plaster(diamondbrite) it was a purplish black color. I tried a bit of scrubbing but it din not help at all. I took some water in to my local pool supply and everything came up good(no high copper or iron) and everything else was fine. I went ahead and bought some RAM METAL HOLD. On top of that my pump motor capacitor went out and I can't get a new one until later this week. I went ahead and added the metal hold though because I was afraid of letting the stain set. It seemed to work well in the shallow areas and those stains faded fairly well. Have you ever had similar problems? Where could the metals have come from? I have not fertilized recently(I never use fert with iron in it), I have used a copper algaecide but that was weeks ago and I have shocked several times since then. Any ideas? I look forward to this forum and I'm glad i found it. I have a 17k gallon inground pool that is 5 years old

Day two and all looks well. The purple stains are gone. That was scary though.

Ok so it has rained a lot so I just went out and sprinkled some shock around the pool perimeter. Soon as I finished I looked around and wherever the shock touched the plaster(diamondbrite) it was a purplish black color. I tried a bit of scrubbing but it din not help at all. I took some water in to my local pool supply and everything came up good(no high copper or iron) and everything else was fine. I went ahead and bought some RAM METAL HOLD. On top of that my pump motor capacitor went out and I can't get a new one until later this week. I went ahead and added the metal hold though because I was afraid of letting the stain set. It seemed to work well in the shallow areas and those stains faded fairly well. Have you ever had similar problems? Where could the metals have come from? I have not fertilized recently(I never use fert with iron in it), I have used a copper algaecide but that was weeks ago and I have shocked several times since then. Any ideas? I look forward to this forum and I'm glad i found it. I have a 17k gallon inground pool that is 5 years old

Day two and all looks well. The purple stains are gone. That was scary though.

It happened to me because of a suction leak and a dirty filter kicking back soil.