Insulation Differences..

Ginny

We are looking at hot tubs and the Arctic insulation system - foam on the outside panels with dead air space inside - sounds good and the electricity "savings" they quote are great, but if it's so much better, why aren't other companies doing it?

I have found the information on this site valuable, but is there an independent rating site to compare the major brands?

BTW, we are considering Hot Springs, Arctic and Artesian.....would appreciate any comparative comments. Thanks, Ginny

We are looking at hot tubs and the Arctic insulation system - foam on the outside panels with dead air space inside - sounds good and the electricity "savings" they quote are great, but if it's so much better, why aren't other companies doing it?

I have found the information on this site valuable, but is there an independent rating site to compare the major brands?

BTW, we are considering Hot Springs, Arctic and Artesian.....would appreciate any comparative comments. Thanks, Ginny

I reccomend you also look at sundance spas

Read the other threads on this site. There have been numerous discussions about the two main types of insulating hot tubs. Arctic is probably the best at that type of insulating -- thermal pane, for the most part. There are a lot of manufacturers that use thermal pain systems that don't work well. Arctic is a good spa. Hot Spring is very good too. Artesian is up there as well. Find which one feels the best to you in wet tests and you'll be fine with any of them.

The insulation debate will go on forever. there is no site dedicated to testing the insulation of a hot tub. Some say that if the insulation in a full foamed spa can soak up water that after it is wet has no R value any longer. I don't know. Look at this way Windows have dead space as well as a finished attic. Does this follow the same rules as a spa?

look at the way the spa is built if looks like the cabinet is well contructed and the outer panel are insulation a thermopane spa is good. Finding a leak in a non full foamed spa is easy to find and cheaper to repair after the warranty is true.

I sell Coleman spas which use the dead air space insulation and they are very tight units due to high thought put into the way the spa is made. Others use this method just to make them cheaper.

As why other companies don't use it, well it is all up to the people making them, don't want to invest in changing the product, who knows. I personally will never own a full foamed spa just because of what if factor if it leaks

These are 3 good brands so as long as each has a good dealer (which is very important and hopefully one that's been in the spa business awhile) I'd say wet test each and let that be your guide. As far as energy use goes I personally think full foam is the way to go but Arctic's method is better than the average thermo pane so each of these should do well.