Gas Heater Conversion

mbkowns

I have an above ground spa that uses 220v. I was gifted a working Pentair-Minimax Heater 100,000 BTU Pool/Spa Heater - Natural Gas. The heater has a inlet and a outlet. I am thinking that if I turn the heater temp down and run the pipes to my gas heater it everything else should work the same. I have idenified the heater and below it almost connected is the pump for it. I am not sure if the water flows

Drain - - Heater --- PUMP

or

Drain - - PUMP --- Heater.

What part on the heater is the inlet and the outlet?

Where do I hook up this to the spa and bypass the 220v heater?

Has anyone here tried this before? Gas is cheaper then electricty.

http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/pdf/minimax-ch-manual.pdf

http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/PEN-460347.htm

Drain - - PUMP --- Heater

Should I leave the existing heater in and just cut the output line from that to my as heater like this

PUMP --- 220v heater-----------GAS HEATER inlet====GASHEATER OUTLET----- to spa heated jets / outlet

I have done it like that now but I am having problems getting the water to flow to my gas heater. I think I am having pressure issues maybe I should undo the fitting on the heater side let water flow and then retighten the fitting.

Drain - - PUMP --- Heater

Should I leave the existing heater in and just cut the output line from that to my as heater like this

PUMP --- 220v heater-----------GAS HEATER inlet====GASHEATER OUTLET----- to spa heated jets / outlet

I have done it like that now but I am having problems getting the water to flow to my gas heater. I think I am having pressure issues maybe I should undo the fitting on the heater side let water flow and then retighten the fitting.

I'm no expert by any means, but I just went through a similar deal with integrating a gas heater into a spa controller set up for electric heat.

One question I have for you is whether the heater is a millivolt (standing pilot) or electronic ignition?

Somebody who knows better can correct me if I'm wrong as I've never messed with a tub with an electric heater, but I think the some of the flow and temp sensors are integrated with the heater body. So you probably need to keep the existing heater in the system for the controller to get the expected sensor inputs.

Can you give some more information on the problem with the water flow? Is there no pressure at the jest or what?

Mike

I need to draw out the way the stock pipes with the electric heater are run but it looks really standard.

Basically I looked at the electric heater plumming and looped from one end to my external gas heater. I get no flow but when I turn on the warm air switch it sounds like a vacuum and air rushes through the pipes to my gas heater.

I am wondering if my spa stock setup has a hot wet and hot air side with the electric heater?

And from my plumming mistake I plummed it to the hot air side. I haven't disconnected the electric heater and if I turn it on it runs water to one of the main jets.

Is this normal to have hot air and hot water basically a dry and wet side to a heater sharing one pump for this?

I have two pumps one basically connected to the heater and another one as a booster to other pipes basically recycling water.

Also my gas heater is electronic ignition and I haven't seen it light yet since no water is being run through it.

My main concern is to get water to flow to the heater.

Almost sounds like you have ONE water pump, and ONE air blower.....and it's plumbed up wrong.. There should be NO air being pumped through the plumbing the heater is attached to.

I would totally agree except it says warm air on the spa switch and if I feel the air it is warm like a blowdryer.

The water still also blows through it but not on the hot air side on the other end of the heater tube.

• 13 years later...

Hi there - question if I may please albeit a long shot 

We have an inflatable hot tub where the warranty runs out in May.  I want to have it converted to gas from a gas bottle. I could look to do myself but would prefer a professional to do.  I’m happy to purchase the kit needed just want someone to install and to advise.  

My question, do you know anyone within the uk,  Warwickshire area who would advise / install please 

Thanks 

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 9:51 AM, Paul D said:

Hi there - question if I may please albeit a long shot 

We have an inflatable hot tub where the warranty runs out in May.  I want to have it converted to gas from a gas bottle. I could look to do myself but would prefer a professional to do.  I’m happy to purchase the kit needed just want someone to install and to advise.  

My question, do you know anyone within the uk,  Warwickshire area who would advise / install please 

Thanks 

Paul

I would start a new thread.  However in general, inflatable spas are not built to be serviced/maintained - they are built to be low cost.  They do not have a long enough lifespan to justify the money and hassle.

If you want to attempt anything, look into buying a used working hardshell portable hot tub and mod something which will last more than 3-4 years max.