Want To Convert

jakewhite

Hey,

Just to start things off, you guys are awesome! Yall have helped me so much with "my pool"

When i say my pool, i don't really mean my pool.

The pool i refer to actually belongs to some really good friend of mines parents. but his dad is a pastor and has moved to another church in another city. they live in a house owned by the church there and keep the house here for the future.

So, I take care of the house, including the pool.

We have talked about converting to a swg and i have some questions.

what is the best brand of swg. does brand really matter.

where in the system should the swg be installed. (i.e. before filter, after filter, etc.)

how ofter do you add salt?

anything else i might need to know as we plan on doing this project ourselves.

you might also need to know that the pool is about 13,000 gallons.

the filter is a Sta-Rite 3 Cartridge filter.

thanks guys,

jake

Hey,

Just to start things off, you guys are awesome! Yall have helped me so much with "my pool"

The pool i refer to actually belongs to some really good friend of mines parents. but his dad is a pastor and has moved to another church in another city. they live in a house owned by the church there and keep the house here for the future.

where in the system should the swg be installed. (i.e. before filter, after filter, etc.)

thanks guys,

jake

You can find some really good Info on SWG's here

http://www.troublefreepool.com/saltwater-c...rators-f21.html

Unless you (or a friend) is a competent DIY-er, I'd hire a pool builder to install (involves wiring and plumbing).

I'm sure everyone has their favorite, but Hayward (Goldline/Aqualogic) and Pentair (IntelliChlor) come to mind. I have an IntelliChlor, plugged into my Pentair EasyTouch, and have no problems.

Salt will not evaporate from the pool - you only need to replace after draining some of the pool water (after heavy rains, backwashing the filter, vacuuming to waste, etc).

Check out the thread offered by mumpelnc. And there's a ton of information in this forum and others.

Hey,

you might also need to know that the pool is about 13,000 gallons.

the filter is a Sta-Rite 3 Cartridge filter.

thanks guys,

jake

You need to test the pool water for its salt content. That will determine how much salt is needed on start up. If you can glue pvc and do minor electrical wok you can install it. The SWG is installed in in the return line, the last item after the filter and heater, if equipped but before any valves. Add the salt and run the pump for 24 hours before using the SWG. You can have a pool company install it too, but make sure they have done them before. I have seen some installed wrong and it makes the customer think they bought a worthless piece of equipment. Also if you use water softener salt the some have Phosphates which a SWG does not like and some is not pure salt, find a retailer that sells pool salt. Here is a link to Goldline Controls unit

http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/product...hlorination.cfm

I have a Polaris AutoClear Plus and have had great results over the last 3 years. I had one broken part this year, which was still under warranty (5 year warranty). But it was a very inexpensive fuse device, had it not been under warranty. I had my first algae problem this eyar (after three years of crystal clear pool water.) I got really hot here in SC really quick, but it's clear again and my SWG is doing it's job. This is my first pool and I wouldn't have it any other way. I started out with an SWG but my borth-in0law converted his several years ago and went with something called the Water Thing. He's had great results, too. Hope this helps ! :)